IT Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  App metering office 2010 std vs pro

Posted May 22, 2017 12:52 PM

So I'm trying to do some usage tracking of office 2010 std but I'm running into an issue and wondering if anyone has any tips on how to tackle this. I going off the recommend steps in this KB

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO124969.html

The problem I have is the detection rule part, the only way I can think to do this is I have file version rules for the main office apps that a user would open: word, excel, outlook. I set the path to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OULOOK.EXE(and create OR ones for 32 bit systems)  "version must be" to >= to the the lowest version in my system. I also set a an MSI rule to match office 2010 std, so that way if a device has pro it will fail the detection check and not pull app metering info.

Am I going about this all wrong, maybe someone else has done this and has a better way?

• 2.  RE: App metering office 2010 std vs pro

Posted May 22, 2017 04:05 PM

Just clear up what my end goal is:

I want to find out how many devices have office 2010 std that are not using it, I know this is pretty much already built into app metering but it's not getting me the correct results, out of 5570 I have 937 unused and no tracking data on 801 devices. I have gone into some of these device myself, opened word and excel, waited a week and they still show unused.

I do notice in the versions that are associated word is missing the main one installed on a lot of computers, like winword.exe 14.0.7181.5000 is not even showing up in the available programs list so maybe a lot of issue just goes back to that?