Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Migration User

Migration UserNov 11, 2014 01:57 PM

ℬrίαη

ℬrίαηJan 01, 2015 09:41 AM

Migration User

Migration UserJan 03, 2015 06:04 AM

SecurityGIV

SecurityGIVJun 18, 2015 07:38 AM

Migration User

Migration UserJun 21, 2015 01:04 PM

Migration User

Migration UserOct 27, 2015 02:39 AM

• 1.  Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2014 04:12 AM

Hello,

If you are planning to upgrade or migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 please follow the best practic guide.

Here is the latest best practice article for SEP 12.1 RU5 (12.1.5337.5000)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH224034

See related links & info in this blog: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/symantec-has-released-new-version-symantec-endpoint-protection

• 2.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Sep 20, 2014 05:09 AM

Thanks for sharing Sir. I have installed it in Test Enviornment.

• 3.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Oct 14, 2014 02:22 PM

My enviornment currently runs SEP 12.1.4 and has nearly 400 GUPs. Are there any known problems with upgrading to 12.1.5 and the GUPS pulling and distributing content if the client is still on version 12.1.4? It is not feasible to upgrade all my GUPS at the same time. 

• 4.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Nov 10, 2014 08:51 PM

Hi there, I have a question about "basic" (Antivirus & Spyware Protection) vs. Full protection (AV&Spyware, Network Threat Poretection, Proactive Threat Protection). My company currently only uses the Antivirus and Spyware protection on 12.1.4 on all client computers. We have over 2,500 clients and we've been hit with cryptolocker a few times in the past year. I recently took over the endpoint server and I'm still learning the best practices. While I plan and test the 12.1.5 upgrade, I wanted to see if enabling "Full Protection" (AV&Spyware, Network Threat Poretection, Proactive Threat Protection) would help with issues such as cryptolocker without affecting the network and computer performance. What best practices would help me block this cryptolocker and other threats alike without affecting the computer's performance? 

Any help is greatly appreacited. 

• 5.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2014 07:00 AM

Hi,

You must enable all the SEP features like Antivirus & Spyware Protection, Proactive Threat Protection (PTP) & Network Threat Protection (NTP) on all the client machines.. You are not fully utilizing AV features to protect your environment.

Recommendations are to install all the SEP features on client operating systems like Windows XP, Windows 7 and Vista etc & At Server operating system can install only Antivirus & Spyware Protection.

Best Practices for Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) on Windows Servers

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92440 

• 6.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Nov 11, 2014 01:57 PM

Thank you, Chetan!

• 7.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Nov 19, 2014 02:46 PM

I have to echo this post.  You really need the intrusion prevention piece.  AV is not enough to protect a client operating system.  

• 8.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jan 01, 2015 05:40 AM

Sir,

I am finding a problem while running symentec end point protection. It does not open the window and suggests there is an error and to contact services. Version which I am using is 12.1.2100.2093 and Windows Explorer. While analysing with Symentec Help I found there are some errors in the appliction. How do I rectify it.

Thanks

bmc kumar

• 9.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jan 01, 2015 09:41 AM

What errors? Try 12.1.5

• 10.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jan 02, 2015 10:57 AM

I am getting a message " Symentec Endpoint Protection cannot open because some Symentec Services are stopped. Restart the Symentec Services, and then open Symentec Endpoint Protection." How do I open Symentec Services.

Thanks.

bmc kumar

• 11.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jan 02, 2015 11:00 AM

Have you tried rebooting the client or just upgrading it to 12.1.5?

• 12.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jan 02, 2015 11:03 AM

rebooting done not upgrading. suggest how to go symentec services

• 13.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jan 02, 2015 11:05 AM

Run a repair on the client via Add/Remove programs. If that doesn't work, reinstall the client.

• 14.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jan 03, 2015 06:04 AM

Problem is resolved. thanks for suggestion.

• 15.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Feb 17, 2015 07:32 AM

Hi Eveoryone,

I want your help to migrate my SEPM 12.1.5 to the new server with fresh installaion below are the details.

Current windows version > windows Server 2008 Ent SP2

Current vesion of SEPM > 12.1.5337.5000

Current DB is MS SQL 2005.

Total Clients > 3000

I want to migrate SEPM to windows server 2012 R2.

Looking forward youy feedback.

Thanks

Rg

Muhammad Danish  

• 16.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 07:35 AM

Either replication or disaster reocvery method can help to move SEPM to another machine.

Check this article: How to move SEPM from one server to another server.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/hot-move-sepm-one-server-another-server

• 17.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Mar 31, 2015 03:59 AM

I used to purchase norton anvitirus, and now what is this? Is it a new version of norton antivirus? 

• 18.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 31, 2015 04:44 AM

Hello,

Norton Antivirus is usually for home use, where as Symantic Antivirus is usually the corporate version.

Norton is the home product whereas Symantec is the corporate version.

Norton is a brand name used by Symantec for some of its consumer products. The Norton line includes three main products: Norton AntiVirus; Norton Internet Security, which includes AntiVirus in addition to features such as live link scanning; and Norton 360, which includes Norton Internet Security in addition to an online backup feature. The business-oriented Symantec Endpoint Protection comes in two editions: Small Business for five to 99 users, and a standard edition for 100 or more users.

http://www.symantec.com/index.jsp

http://us.norton.com/

Hope that helps!!

• 19.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 31, 2015 11:29 AM

Norton Antivirus and Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) both are antivirus products but Norton is consumer based product while SEP is an enterprise based product of Symantec.

• 20.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 05, 2015 12:55 AM

Dear Chetan,

could you please tell me the SEP 12.1 license validity when the license expires the client will be given a grace period to live update for how many days.

• 21.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 05, 2015 08:22 AM

If Enterprise then clients will not stop updating even after the license has expired.

• 22.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2015 06:15 AM

If it's trailware license:

Enterprise Edition (EE) is 60 days validity with no grace days

Small Business Edition (SBE) is 30 days validity with 30 days grace.

If it's valid EE license content update downloads continue from all the sources. If it's valid SBE license content update downloads stop for both server and clients.

• 23.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 08, 2015 08:39 AM

Thanks Chetan.

My proxy server is blocking to run the Norton power eraser tool it can't communicate to the internet so could you please provide me the address to open it in the proxy server.

• 24.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2015 08:56 AM

Not sure which port Norton power eraser tool uses but can try to run threat analysis scan to scan infected machine. However, I am trying to check with Norton folks.

• 25.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 12, 2015 01:05 AM

Can any one tell me about the symantec support does exist even after license expired because of some reason my company hasn't renewed the license yet if i need any support from the symantec so can they provide and if yes then how long.

• 26.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 13, 2015 12:49 AM

Thanks Chetan, can any one knows about the website address of this Norton Power Eraser tool.

• 27.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2015 05:38 AM

Support won't be available if license is expired. However, renew the license to follow the compliane process.

Ask your queries here (connect forum) and available memebers will try to answer them.

For more details contact license department.

United States & Canada
    Telephone:
    800.721.3934 or 541.335.7023
    Business Hours:
    5AM to 5PM PST (M-F)

Language:
    English

• 28.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 16, 2015 01:34 AM

Can anyone provide me the steps of uninstalling SEP client on the remote computers from the SEPM server.
    some pcs are far not possible to reach physically so need the procedure for uninstalling.

• 29.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2015 05:40 AM

You can't uninstall SEP client only on the remote computes from the SEPM server. But it can be achieve via other options.

Check this: Methods for uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184988

• 30.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 23, 2015 11:43 AM

Is it mandatory to upgrade the Clients to 12.1.5 after upgrading SEPM to 12.1.5.

Currently, the client computers run SEP v 12.1.4. and I am planning to upgrade only the SEPM server to 12.1.5. Will there be any issues if keep the clients in current versions?

• 31.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2015 11:56 AM

It's not mandatory to upgrade the clients to 12.1.5 after upgrading SEPM to 12.1.5. But support recommends to have SEPM or SEP on the same version.

Q.Currently, the client computers run SEP v 12.1.4. and I am planning to upgrade only the SEPM server to 12.1.5. Will there be any issues if keep the clients in current versions?

--> I don't think there would be any major concern.

• 32.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 23, 2015 11:59 AM

Nope, you can leave clients are 12.1.4 and upgrade the SEPM to 12.1.5. They will still function as expected.

• 33.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 27, 2015 06:13 AM

Hello all,

We have plan to upgrade our SEPM server from current 12.1.1000.157 RU1 version to latest 12.1.5 and after that we wan't to upgrade our OS to Srv2012.. I found good article regarding SEPM upgrade but I would ask you several question regarding this.

1) Can you just confirm, that it is possible to upgrade 12.1.1000.157 to 12.1.5 and new version will support Server 2012 ? 

2) From where we can get sources to 12.1.5 ? We need to buyi t from Symantecor upgrade is free to implement?

3) We have current license valid to the end of this year. When we upgrade our SEPM, do we need purchase new license for upgraded version?

4) We have some workstation which has Windows 2000 as operating system and SEP 11 agent installed. Machine will work with upgraded SEPM server?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

best regards

• 34.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Apr 28, 2015 08:36 AM

1. Yes 12.1.5 support server 2k12

System Requirements for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5

2) Download from https://symantec.flexnetoperations.com using your serial number.

3) You don't need to purchase a new license since you already have a valid one.

4) SEP 12.1 does not support Windows 2000. SEP 11 is end of support life.

• 35.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2015 09:14 AM

1) Can you just confirm, that it is possible to upgrade 12.1.1000.157 to 12.1.5 and new version will support Server 2012 ? 

--> Upgrade from 12.1.1001.157 to 12.1 RU5 is supported upgrade path. SEP 12.1 RU5 supports Server 2012.

System requirements are listed here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH224712

2) From where we can get sources to 12.1.5 ? We need to buyi t from Symantecor upgrade is free to implement?

--> From here can download the latest software: https://symantec.flexnetoperations.com/control/symc/registeranonymouslicensetoken

3) We have current license valid to the end of this year. When we upgrade our SEPM, do we need purchase new license for upgraded version?

--> Upgrade is free in your case.

4) We have some workstation which has Windows 2000 as operating system and SEP 11 agent installed. Machine will work with upgraded SEPM server?

--> SEP 11 is now under End of Life. You must plan to upgrade Windows 2000 machine because it will not work with upgrade SEPM version.

• 36.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted May 06, 2015 05:16 AM

Thank you all for your answers! I have additional question. Lets say, that we need to postponed core server upgrade but we still want to on some clients upgrade operating system to wndows 2012. Currently we have only client agent in version 12.1.1 - which is not supported in windows 2012. Is there any way to generate higher version of client agent package?? Can I do it in existing 12.1.1 SEPM server? If yes, how? Is it supported by Symantec?

Best regards

• 37.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 06, 2015 05:30 AM

Yes, there is a way and it's supported as well.

I will give you the detail steps shortly.

• 38.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 06, 2015 12:00 PM

It's not possible to generate the latest package inside the SEPM. However there is one setting to upgrade client version directly.

SEPM --> Policy --> Liveupdate Policy --> Edit Assign policy --> Advance Settings --> Product Update Settings.

This option will enable the user to receive product updates via liveupdate server. You can only modify this settings when use Liveudpate server is selected on the server setting tab.

• 39.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jun 11, 2015 08:37 AM

Hello there,

We have plan to upgrade our SEPM 12.1 RU1 to 12.1.RU5 or RU6. Right now we are preparing upgrade plan based on article https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH230601.html . It looks preety clear but we would like to have full presentation.

Step 6: Upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager:

I would like to ask you if someone have maybe step by step printscreens from your own upgrade and can share with us?  We manage SEPM server since 1,5 year so the main installation has been done before we take it as our responsability. We would like to know which steps we can expect after we run "setup.exe". 

Thanks in advance

Szymon Talaska

• 40.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2015 02:37 AM

Hi Szymon Talaska,

You are following correct article (TECH230601) to upgrade to the newer version.

To refer screen-shots can refer the following article because it would be pretty similar during upgrade from 12.1 RU1 to 12.1 RU6 as well.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-process-sep-121-ru1-mp1-sep-121-ru2

SEP 12.1 RU6 is the latest version and I would recommend to upgrade to the latest version. If you wish you can test it prior to upgrade as well.

Feel free to PM if need any assistance.

• 41.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jun 16, 2015 09:05 AM

Hello Chetan,

This is what I looking for. Many thanks. 

I would like to ask two additional question. 

1) We have SEPM installed on drive D:/ , so it will automatically detect where SEPM is installed, right?

2) Our database is external (MS SQL server). Database team will backup SEPM db before upgrade action, so my question is: we do not need (or just can't) Backup database during installation, right? This backup database step in the articel https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-process-sep-121-ru1-mp1-sep-121-ru2  is connected with embeded database, am I right?

I have two more questions:

3) After upgrade, something will change in database structue? Any additional colums or entries will be added?

4) We have SEP Manager installed on Virtual Machine. I would like to ask you, if recovery will be needed after upgrading, it can be done by restoring snapshot in vcenter system? After this kind of recovery all should works good, am I right?

Don't know why, when I try send PM or mail it is rejected at SPAM filter and message can't be send. Can you please answer me here?

Best regards

• 42.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2015 11:22 AM

Hi,

1) We have SEPM installed on drive D:/ , so it will automatically detect where SEPM is installed, right?

--> Yes, it will.

2) Our database is external (MS SQL server). Database team will backup SEPM db before upgrade action, so my question is: we do not need (or just can't) Backup database during installation, right? This backup database step in the articel https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-process-sep-121-ru1-mp1-sep-121-ru2  is connected with embeded database, am I right?

--> Applicable for both the database i.e. Embedded and SQL.

3) After upgrade, something will change in database structue? Any additional colums or entries will be added?

--> Might be possible but I am not sure what exactly changes in the database schema.

4) We have SEP Manager installed on Virtual Machine. I would like to ask you, if recovery will be needed after upgrading, it can be done by restoring snapshot in vcenter system? After this kind of recovery all should works good, am I right?

---> Yes, you should be able to restore VM snapshot if required.

• 43.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jun 18, 2015 06:46 AM

Thanks again :-) 

Almost all is clear now. Can you describe me files from FileConnect download center please? 
    I found three files to download:

1) Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.6_All_Clients_EN.zip  (230MB)

2) Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.6_Full_Installation_EN.exe (675MB)

3) Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.6_SEPM_EN.exe (481MB 

As I understand file 3) is proper one to upgrade SEP Manager?!

1) and 2) is client package to import into console after upgrade? What does it mean ...Full_Installation_EN.exe ?

Best regards

• 44.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2015 07:34 AM

Full install contains both i.e. SEPM_EN.exe + All_Clients_EN.zip.

To summarize it quickly, First choice is to download only client packages (unmanaged), second option is for SEPM + Client packages (unmanaged) & third one is for only SEPM setup.

• 45.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jun 18, 2015 07:38 AM

Thanks a lot. You're the best ;-) 

• 46.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jun 21, 2015 01:04 PM

Thank you! I need this Doc

• 47.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Jul 20, 2015 10:07 AM

Hello again.

I have next questions regarding SEP manager upgrade.

I talked with my database team to provide me SQL Server version where our SEP manager 12.1.1  is connected. Currently, we have SQL 2008 SP4 connected..  We want upgrade SEP to 12.1.6 version, but I found in documentation, that this version of SQL server  is not supported. Is that right or this is mistake? 
    Version 12.1.1 through 12.1.5 support SQL 2008 SP4 but version 12.1.6 is supported through SQL 2008 SP3. I thought this can't be downgraded. 

Second question, during SEP manager upgrade installation process is connecting with database (for make changing). With which credential changing is done - current logged user on the server or with databese user credentail which was typed during first installation? 

Thanks in advance

• 48.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Aug 03, 2015 08:00 AM

Shows in the doc it's fully supported.

Need to use DB credentials.

• 49.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 03, 2015 09:21 AM

Hi SecurityGIV,

Doc's have been modified now & Apologies for the confusion.

• 50.  RE: Best practices for upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 (RU5)

Posted Oct 27, 2015 02:39 AM

not fully supported