Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Blue Screen of Death with SEP14 on Windows 10 version 1803

Posted May 22, 2018 01:55 PM
      |   view attached

I recently updated my Dell 6440 laptop to Windows 10 version 1803 and am now getting a blue screen of death (BSOD) when I run Micro Focus InfoConnect Desktop 16.1. If I remove SEP, then no BSOD event occurs. I've worked with development and IT folks to narrow down the cause of the issue. When we review the minidump file in Windows (attached), the failure occurs when a Symantec file is being accessed when InfoConnect is in the process of connecting from Windows to a mainframe session . I searched on the Symantec forums, but don't see the problem show up on the list of issues. My SEP version is listed in Add/Remove Programs as 14.0.3897.1101. Thanks.

Attachment(s)

zip
    052118-11375-01.zip   166 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Blue Screen of Death with SEP14 on Windows 10 version 1803
    Best Answer

Posted May 22, 2018 02:59 PM

You're on SEP 14 RU1 MP1. RU1 MP2 is the latest version:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163829

If you can upgrade quickly to see if it's resolved in the latest version that would be ideal.

With that said I don't see any BSOD issues in the fix notes for RU1 MP2:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/INFO4957

The quickest way to test which component is causing it is to remove all components except AV and see what the result is. Add in each additional component until the BSOD occurs and that is the likely cause.

You'll need to get a support case opened up so they can grab the full BSOD dump and any additional logs that they need to review.

It could be a BSOD specific to your make/model in that there is a conflict with a driver but they'll need to look at logs to determine that.

• 3.  RE: Blue Screen of Death with SEP14 on Windows 10 version 1803

Posted May 23, 2018 01:39 PM

Thanks for sharing this information, Brian. I downloaded the latest update (Sep64_3897To3929_clientDAXMSI.exe, presumably MP2) from this page https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO4993.html, installed it, and haven't been able to reproduce the BSOD. I'll continue to monitor, but looks like I'm good to go for now. Thanks again!

• 4.  RE: Blue Screen of Death with SEP14 on Windows 10 version 1803

Posted May 23, 2018 02:02 PM

You're welcome.

• 5.  RE: Blue Screen of Death with SEP14 on Windows 10 version 1803

Posted Jun 04, 2018 07:08 PM

Here is an update regarding the BSOD we encountered with SEP and one of our products...

We are able to duplicate the BSOD without our product being involved. We created a simple application that can easily BSOD the system (Windows 10 1803 OS Build 17134.48 (81 latest) + Corporate Symantec EndPoint Protection).

In the sample application we created, we’ve confirmed as soon as we have the following conditions, we will see the BSOD:

1. Provide the application’s “AssemblyCompany” attribute to the name of “Micro”, “Micro Focus” or “Micro Focus1”. See SimpleExe.zip.
    2. Build the EXE.
    3. You can try one of the following to see the BSOD:
      1. Make a copy of the original EXE locally and run the copied version.
      2. Share the EXE to another network location and run from there.
      3. Using EditBin.exe to modify the EXE attribute and run.

I'm attaching the necessary files for Symantec to reproduce the issue and hopefully get it fixed:

• The VS2017 solution file for this SimpleExe app (SimpleExe.zip).
    • The video to demonstrate the BSOD in detail (BSOD.mp4).
    • The DUMP file generated from the BSOD (060418-73937-01.dmp). ".Dmp" file extension recompressed to ".ZIP" format.

We also have a corporate copy of the Symantec EndPoint deployment file v14.1, but not sure if Symantec needs this or not, so I'll wait to hear back from Symantec before I attach and upload it.

Thanks!

Kris

Video

Attachment(s)

zip
    060418-73937-01_0.zip   149 KB 1 version
    zip
    SimpleExe.zip   132 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: Blue Screen of Death with SEP14 on Windows 10 version 1803

Posted Jun 04, 2018 08:26 PM

Did you submit these to a case? This forum isn't an official support channel. Not to say that someone from Symantec won't see it but support is the quickest way to get this worked on.

• 7.  RE: Blue Screen of Death with SEP14 on Windows 10 version 1803

Posted Jun 05, 2018 05:50 PM

I didn't submit as a case, Brian, but will go ahead and do so. Thanks!