Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Booting lockup on Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jul 19, 2007 08:14 PM
    We have about 20 new Dell Optiplex 745 computers (Broadcom 57xx onboard NIC), and I intend on using Ghost's user migration functinality to help wtih moving staff members over to these new boxes.

I'm testing it out currently with a former staff persons account and installed the ghost client on my target machine (cleint version 11.0.1.1533), and specified(through the computer properties in the server console) to use the newest b57xx driver I downloaded from Broadcom's website.

When I begin the user migration restore task, the target computer reboots, it shows the loading Windows XP splash screen( with the black background and scrolling horizontal progress bar), and then the screen goes black and just hangs there... no text for errors or status... it never procedes to the logon screen or anything. Rebooting will bring it back to that same black screen.

I can boot into safemode fine, but if I try booting normally again it does the same thing and hangs just after the loading windows screen.

Are there error logs I can look at somewhere, or is this too early in the boot process? Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Booting lockup on Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jul 22, 2007 08:51 PM
    When a computer boots in safe mode, but not in normal mode, this usually indicates a driver issue of some kind. I'm unsure if GSS has contributed directly to the boot problem, or not.

The user migration functionality operates entirely within the windows environment, and therefore does not require pre-os drivers to be specified. Specifying a pre-os driver does not make any changes to the windows drivers.

If your display drivers have been set to display a mode your monitor does not support, you might see something similar to this behaviour. Booting the Enable VGA mode option might help there.

A typical culprit where machines will boot safe mode only are display drivers. You could try removing all display drivers in safemode and restarting in normal mode.

You could try the Safe Mode with Networking option to eliminate any network drivers as a source of the issue.

There is also an F8 boot option to enable boot logging. It could be worthwhile to check that.

Message Edited by Xan Todd on 07-23-200701:52 PM

• 3.  RE: Booting lockup on Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jul 22, 2007 10:38 PM
    From the details provided in your post, I assumed the boot hang was occuring before the migration restore operation.

If the boot hang is occuring after the restore operation, then I would like to examine the files and registry inclusions in your migration template. You could post those here, or use the private messaging feature of the forum.

• 4.  RE: Booting lockup on Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jul 23, 2007 10:44 AM
    Are you by chance using Symantec Antivirus 10.1?

We had a similar problem and found that there was a issue with the Optiplex 745 w/ Dual core chips and Symantec Antivirus 10.1.

http://entkb.symantec.com/security/output/n2006103112061748.html