Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 09:54 AM

I am having a problem trying to update the SEP client on Windows 2003 server SP2 standard edition (x86) from 11.0.6005.562 to 11.0.6200.754.
    When I run the setup program and select Custom setup type, I am unable to select a different destination drive.
    The system partition does not have sufficient drive space, however there are at least 3 other logical drives
    (including the one the current version is install on which as 108GB free).

I get a message that says "out of disk space" and shows all of the drives.
    C: is the only one that has insufficient space, I tried everything to select an alternate installation drive (click, right-click, double-click, click-enter)

Can I somehow modify Setup.ini to force the installation to a drive that has sufficient space?

Why doesn't the installation dialog allow me to select an alternate install path?

Clicking on the "Space" button also shows me the available drives.  "or select different destination drives."

How does one select a different destination drive if NOT from that dialog?

It would be HELPful to have a HELP button on that dialog.

• 2.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 10:02 AM

How to create a Symantec Endpoint Protection install package that will install to a different drive

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102896&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1297695640232

• 3.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 10:15 AM

No matter which drive you want to install , if the C drive (the OS partition) does not have enough space, then you wont be able to select any other drive, 

Clear some space on C drive first, only then you will be able to select another drive, like D.E etc.

Clear all the temp files, right click  C drive and select Disk Cleanup..

• 4.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 10:59 AM

So, I cleared up some space on C: and modified setAid.ini to specify the installation folder.

DestinationDirectory=E:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection

The setup process begins, but then fails stating that it can not write to the desitation folder.

The destination folder specified is the one that I specified in setAid.ini

Should upgrading AV product on a server be such a hassle?

I am logged on the the domain admin account and have checked permissions on the destination directory.

The domain admin account is the account I used to perform the initial install of the 11.0.6005.562 client.

What am I missing here?

• 5.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 11:06 AM

thanks for the reply, but it doesn't apply to my situation.

I suppose I wasn't 100% clear in my initial description of the issue.

The server that I'm trying to upgrade is also the SEPM server that manages SEP clients on some of our networked PCs.

It is not a client of itself, so I'm simply trying to update SEP that runs on the server.

I did not have any problems deploying the upgrade to the managed clients using SEPM, I just can't upgrade the EndPoint protection product on the server itself.

• 6.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 12:18 PM

Un-install SEP client.. then try installing Unmanaged SEP client on the other drive. then you can replace sylink.xml file to make it managed.

• 7.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 12:33 PM

I can't think of one other AV product that requires an un-install of current product prior to performing a minor upgrade.  It was installed as an unmanaged client originally... this SEP install has never been managed.

• 8.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 14, 2011 12:47 PM

Your SEP is on C drive and you want to upgrade to to D drive that is not possible..YOu can only do fresh installations on different drives not upgrade.

• 9.  RE: Can't select alternate drive to upgrade SEP 1106a to 1106MP2 W2K 2003

Posted Feb 14, 2011 02:12 PM

The uninstall is only required if you're switching the install drive. If SEP is currently installed on the C, the upgrade will also place it on C. There's no way to upgrade and move it to a new drive at the same time (correct me if that's not what you're trying to do).

The only way to do this is to uninstall the SEP client and use an install package that has been configured to install to a custom location.