Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 04, 2010 04:25 PM

I've been running End Point 11.0.5002.333 for a while now on a Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit computer.   Today it suddenly gives me an error message of:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccL608.dll could not be found. 

Googling for this error was not terribly helpful (including the few discussions in this forum).  I checked several other similar machines and that file does not exist in that directory, so I am at a loss as to where this message could be coming from.   Just for grins, I installed MalwareBytes and ran a full system scan (in safe mode), and the machine came up clean. 

Ideas?

• 2.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 04, 2010 04:30 PM

I had written this article back when i was in symantec..

Error: " \Symantec shared\ccL608.dll could not be found " when installing Symantec Endpoint Protection client
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008052203285548

However there are 2 reasons for this error
    1. you have mapped Program files\Common files dir.
    2. There is Threat on your machine which is deleting that file making AV unusable

• 3.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 04, 2010 05:41 PM

(1) The registry entry is correct according to the MS Kb article you pointed to.

(2) I SERIOUSLY doubt that I have a virus/threat on my computer, because
      * As I said in my OP, I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode and it came up clean
      * looking on other computers w/ the same setup shows that this file is not in the Common Files folder either.

• 4.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 04, 2010 05:46 PM
    Just for grins, I searched the registry for ccL608.dll.  It found it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccL608.dll.

The (x86) version is something that is used for the 64-bit versions of the OS's.  

Something tells me that I ran an update for Symantec Endpoint, and the update had a bug which is not "64bit aware".....

• 5.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 04, 2010 05:57 PM
    So simple un-install and re-install should fix this issue.

• 6.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 05, 2010 09:43 AM

Done twice.  No joy.

• 7.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 05, 2010 09:52 AM
    Remove SEP
    Delete following folders if present

C:\Program Files\Symantec
    C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec
     C:\Program Data\Symantec

Also delete following reg keys
    HKLM\Software\symantec
    HKCU\Software\symantec
    Install SEP and try..

• 8.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 05, 2010 10:19 AM

Will try.  I also have Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 (11.5) which I will have to remove first  (so I don't toast those keys too).

• 9.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?
    Best Answer

Posted May 05, 2010 01:36 PM
    Ok, so I tried AravindKM's proposed solution.  Same problem.  

So I said to myself:  "Self, why don't you just copy the files from the "Program Files (x86)" directory to the "Program Files" directory?

And walla - success.  SEP is now working perfectly.

Which kind of indicates that my suspicion that the problem is a bug in SEP for Win7.64bit is probably correct...

• 10.  RE: ccL608.dll not found?

Posted May 05, 2010 02:15 PM
    If its happening on one machine then you can't blame it on SEP...it might be some problem with Program Files variable set wrong. Because in 64bit os SEP installs at Program Files (x86) folder.