Cleveland Security User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

• 1.  CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Mar 29, 2010 11:59 AM
    Is the Windows 7 standard available for CCS 9.0.1? I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Apr 01, 2010 04:41 PM

The version 1 CIS standard for Windows 7 was just released from CIS March 15.  I am sure that this is not top priority, but on the radar for Symantec.  Have you tried to just run the Vista standard against a 7 box to see what happens?  Post if you do, I am curious, but don't have any 7 in the environment yet.

• 3.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Apr 02, 2010 01:22 PM

I was going to give that a shot, but I actually cant even import a Windows 7 computer in CCS 9 as an asset.

• 4.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Apr 05, 2010 09:58 AM
    What about running a report from the Data Collection side to verify the OS Type, Major and minor version. I am not sure if you tried to specificy the computer name on the import, or the OS settings in the filtering area to target just the Windows 7 machine to see if it will import that

We don't have any in our environment yet so I can't say that I've tested this either

• 5.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Apr 05, 2010 04:43 PM

I tried my asset import with IP or machine name or DNS name. Any Win7 box I try, it import doesn't import. The same import criteria works with Win XP computers. I may have to wait until May.

• 6.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Apr 06, 2010 09:42 AM
    Found this on their support site

Question/Issue:
    When will Reporting & Analytics clients be certified for use with Windows 7?

Symptoms:

• Reporting & Analytics v.9.X or earlier clients do not work on Microsoft Windows 7.

Solution:
    Symantec plans to certify Control Compliance Suite (CCS) v.10 Reporting & Analytics clients for use on Microsoft Windows 7 workstation operating systems.

Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) listed in this article. Symantec is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.

There are no plans to address this issue by way of a patch or hotfix in the current or previous versions of the software at the present time. However, the issue is currently scheduled to be addressed in the next major revision of the product. Please be sure to refer back to this document periodically as any changes to the status of the defect will be reflected here. Please note that Symantec reserves the right to remove any fix from the targeted release if it does not pass quality assurance tests. Symantec’s plans are subject to change and any action taken by you based on the above information or your reliance upon the above information is made at your own risk.

• 7.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Apr 06, 2010 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info, but it's not the client running on a Win7 pc that's the problem. It's importing a Win7 pc as an asset along with getting a CIS Windows 7 standard for baselining, etc.

• 8.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Apr 06, 2010 09:57 AM
    Sorry I forgot to add this in my post.... It doesn't seem that it is certified to run on windows 7 so i'm going to guess that it won't import it either. You could always try to call the Symantec support to be sure but my guess is that the functionality for this will be included in version 10 (I think that is released in May)

• 9.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted May 02, 2010 10:16 PM

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/symantec_control_compliance_suite/9.0/updates/reporting_analytics/ReadMe_CCS_ReportingAndAnalytics_9_0_1_PCU_2010-2.pdf

check out page 16 ...looks like the Security Essentials for WIndows 7 was added in the latest update

also looks like other regulartory updtes for windows 7 were added

• 10.  RE: CCS 9.0.1 Windows 7 Standard

Posted Jun 24, 2010 10:00 AM
    We just had the 2010-2 update applied and I see the CobiT Windows 7 standard, but that is the ONLY Windows 7 standard. The other ones listed in the document above (■ NIST SP 800-53 Rev. 3 - Security Essentials forWindows 7■ PCI DSS v1.2 - Security Essentials forWindows 7■ ISO/IEC 27002:2005 - Security Essentials forWindows 7) are NOT there. Can anyone help on that?

Thanks!