Symantec IT Risk and Compliance Product Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CCS v10.0 Problems with PCU 2011-1 for Data Collection; QE Hotfix failing with "Unable to access the source file...Setup.Manifest.xml"

• 1.  CCS v10.0 Problems with PCU 2011-1 for Data Collection; QE Hotfix failing with "Unable to access the source file...Setup.Manifest.xml"

Posted Feb 11, 2011 12:27 PM

I am wondering if anyone else is having problems running PCU 2011-1 for Data Collection and also with running the QE Hotfix on the CCS server with MQE/SQE?  Having two problems with this update.

1.  PCU 2011-1 Data Collection install issue:
    I first started with PCU 2011-1 for Data Collection.  The install failed just after extraction processes (of course - that's the way its been so far at some point each time I've tried to install a PCU).  Unfortunately, the error sounded very similar to the issue I had with PCU 2010-4 failing for R&A recently.  The install code was looking for a previously installed media cache or some sort of config file in that patch that was installed to and/or moved to a different temporary area (separate tech article posted, I believe).  But for PCU 2011-1 Data Collection, this error was a little different: 
    "Unable to continue the setup.
    SetupApp::CopyFileOverwrite Unable to access the source file from source media (2): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Control Compliance Suite 8.50 - Data Collection\MediaCache\Setup.Manifest.xml
    "

In this same path for the previous issue with PCU 2010-4 for R&A, I recalled the support tech renaming and copying some files to/from this folder during troubleshooting.  He had renamed the Setup.Config file in this path and brought in the same file name from the PCU 2010-4 Reportcache folder.  When it didn't resolve the issue, he never went back and renamed the original file back to Setup.Config.  After I renamed the file back to original, the PCU 2011-1 for Data Collection installed successfully.  I'm assuming this resolved this issue.

2.  QE Hotfix failure:
    Next, tried running the QE Hotfix installer.  It fails after adding the QE server name but fails only when running on the CCS server itself which is an MQE and SQE.  Able to run successfully on the individual SQE machines.  The failure error was: 
    "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in HFDistrib.exe [596]." 
    The window is titled "Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger"

It gives me an option "Do you want to debug using the selected debugger?" with a Yes or No button.  The "Possible Debuggers:" section has only one entry "New instance of Visual Studio 2008" which is not installed on my server.  Also, two check boxes are available which are "Set the currently selected debugger as the default." and "Manually choose the debugging engines."

To work around this, I first updated ECS, then ran bv-Config.  From there, I right-clicked the CCS server that I needed to run the hotfix on and selected "Upgrade Query Engine" option.  After completing, I verified file versions were updated within the "Product File Versions" option in bv-Config for the CCS server.

The QE Hotfix installer still fails to run with this same errors.  But at least I hope my MQE/SQE has all the updated files it needs.

Anyone else experiencing this or similar issue?

Thanks,
    Aaron

• 2.  RE: CCS v10.0 Problems with PCU 2011-1 for Data Collection; QE Hotfix failing with "Unable to access the source file...Setup.Manifest.xml"

Posted Feb 11, 2011 01:27 PM

Hi Aaron,

Apologies for the inconvenience with support access. If you give me case id that you have open for this, I can get appropriate attention from support.

Thank you for your patience!

• 3.  RE: CCS v10.0 Problems with PCU 2011-1 for Data Collection; QE Hotfix failing with "Unable to access the source file...Setup.Manifest.xml"

Posted Feb 22, 2011 11:11 PM

yep I tried to apply the QE Hot fix and it messed up my ECS. had to remove all the query engines, support services and then mess around with it just to get the ECS installed again. I ended up installing version 10 ECS then removing the support services ..restart then upgrade to ECS 10.5 from inside RMS console.

I'm still messing around with it but don't plan on updating the QE hotfix again thats for sure