Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Client install failed: msiexec failed with error: 1603

Posted Sep 30, 2008 10:07 AM

Having a problem installing the Ghost Client on a WinXP machine. I keep getting this error;

(73): Installation: Msiexec failed with error: 1603

Ghost server is fully updated running on Win Server 2003.

I have both the rcilog.txt and log.txt files but they are too long to post here. 

• 2.  RE: Client install failed: msiexec failed with error: 1603

Posted Sep 30, 2008 12:07 PM

Found the problem, now as to why it's happening?

I found an event log that helped me pinpoint the problem. 

Event ID 11327

Description:

Product: Symantec Ghost Console Client -- Error 1327. Invalid Drive: H:\

Now I was logged into this machine at the time of the install and had my H:\ drive mapped correctly so it wasn't looking at my profile.

On all of our images we change a couple keys (Favorites & Personal) in this registry location; 

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

We change them to point out to the users network drive. We've been doing this for years and never had this problem before. 

Did something change on the most recent update that might have caused this?

• 3.  RE: Client install failed: msiexec failed with error: 1603

Posted Oct 02, 2008 12:29 PM
    Hello?

• 4.  RE: Client install failed: msiexec failed with error: 1603

Posted Oct 02, 2008 07:29 PM

Hi,

I am tring to reproduce your problem, could you export "User Shell Folders" registry keys and send it to m.ming.c@gmail.com; zip both rcilog.txt and log.txt files, and send them as well.

Which GSS version are you using?

Cheers

Ming

• 5.  RE: Client install failed: msiexec failed with error: 1603

Posted Oct 03, 2008 09:23 AM
    Thanks Ming, I just sent you the information you asked for.

• 6.  RE: Client install failed: msiexec failed with error: 1603
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 06, 2008 01:06 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the log files and registry. Yes, I can reproduce the problem with the settings in your registry. It is a limitation for GSS client install msi, i.g. it failed at "CostInitialize" action of msi installer, as it couldn't recoginize any mapped dirver in "User Shell Folders", even if an UNC name . We should fixed it in a future release. 

You said with your settings ( point a mapped driver in "Personal" or Favorites" ) remotly install client worked before upgraded GSS to 2.5 LU2 (2141), which version was it? I tried few previous versions, they all have the same behavior - failed to install.

There are few work-arounds:

1. Install the client locally, the installation will be successful either via GUI or silent (command) install with a mapped driver (e.g. H:\) in "User Shell Folder" registry.

2. or remotly install client but define a local dirver (e.g. C:\) in "User Shell Folder" registry.

Cheers

Ming

Message Edited by Ming on 10-06-2008 05:10 PM

• 7.  RE: Client install failed: msiexec failed with error: 1603

Posted Oct 06, 2008 09:38 AM

Glad to hear you were able to reproduce the problem.

Actually after mentioned none of the previous versions worked, I went back and checked the machines that are running the client that I installed from an earlier console version and sure enough, they did not have this registry setting. 

The PCs I've been having problems with are a group of class room PCs that were setup differently for some reason and the rest of our PCs do not have these registry settings, thus not giving us any problems installing the client.

Thank you for your time Ming.  :smileyhappy: