Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Clients will not register with SEP11 on Server 2008

Posted Apr 12, 2009 09:26 AM
    I recently lost my Windows 2003 SEP 11 server and had to rebuild without any backups.  I decided to use 2008 instead of 2003.  Everything seems to have gone well.  I found the Sylinkdrop utility to 'reconnect' my clients and the process IS working in terms of the client side as far as I can tell.  Only problem is that the clients never register.  I have turned OFF the firewall on the server and the ones on the clients are also turned off.  I'm not sure if I'm missing some sort of Local Security policy kind of thing or what the deal is.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Clients will not register with SEP11 on Server 2008

Posted Apr 12, 2009 03:09 PM
    Hello,

In order to get a better idea about the situation kindly perform one of the test on the client.

Open internet explorer and type the url with appropriate server ip address and Symantec Web server port.

http://<serverip>:<portnumber?/secars/secars?hello,secars

Let me know the results so that we can determine what exactly is going wrong.

Regards,
    Nirav Mistry
    Symantec Tech Support.

• 3.  RE: Clients will not register with SEP11 on Server 2008
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 12, 2009 06:51 PM
    Just a quick check here... when you say you turned OFF the firewall on the server, do you mean the SEP firewall, or the Windows Firewall - WF is on by default with 2008 and will block incoming client requests... just want to double check you have both turned off, or at least are allowing the SEPM ports through it?

• 4.  RE: Clients will not register with SEP11 on Server 2008

Posted Apr 13, 2009 08:53 AM

Well... I THOUGHT that I'd turned the Windows Firewall OFF but apparantly I just turned part of it off.  It is now completely off and my clients are registering as I type.  Thanks for the clue!

ACC-Support

Just a quick check here... when you say you turned OFF the firewall on the server, do you mean the SEP firewall, or the Windows Firewall - WF is on by default with 2008 and will block incoming client requests... just want to double check you have both turned off, or at least are allowing the SEPM ports through it?

Paul Murgatroyd
    Principal Regional Product Manager, Enterprise Security Group, Symantec