Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  CM 2012 WinXP upgrade to Win7 with SEE installed

Posted Jun 28, 2013 06:05 PM

With as much detail as I can, I am trying to upgrade about 200 laptops from Windows XP to Windows 7 using Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager 2012.  I am running into the issue that the task sequence fails when it boots into WinPE and wants to format the drive after copying the user profiles.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to automate the process to clean the disk partition information without any user intervention?

• 2.  RE: CM 2012 WinXP upgrade to Win7 with SEE installed

Posted Jul 01, 2013 07:47 AM

Are you receiving any specific errors?

If you've already gotten to the point where you can access and copy off user profiles from the encrypted partition, then you shouldn't have any issues with the OS upgrade itself (although my personal recommendation would be to wipe out all partitions from the drive and start anew).

• 3.  RE: CM 2012 WinXP upgrade to Win7 with SEE installed

Posted Jul 03, 2013 11:09 AM

While I'm not an SCCM guru, I know we had trouble with this aspect in the past.
    On our current 2007 setup, the first step of the OS task sequence uses the built in task: Disk -> Format and Partition Disk.
    Disk 0
    Standard MBR
    100% Primary partition & quick format to NTFS.

We use this on new builds and will also work on moving a machine from XP with SEE to Win7. That task wipes the existing partition clean. We don't back up user data, so if you're doing this in the middle of a OS task sequence load, it may be due to the way SCCM stages the PE boot wim. I think you can choose to stage in memory rather than on disk.

• 4.  RE: CM 2012 WinXP upgrade to Win7 with SEE installed

Posted Jul 15, 2013 05:13 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.  It copies the user profiles off of the computer, copies the task sequence files to the drive and then restarts the computer to begin the actual upgrade.  It is at this point that it fails because, in my opinion, SEE starts first and the information that is part of the task sequence gets corrupted becomes unreadable.  I have as part of testing just cleaned the disk partition information and restarted the task sequence by manually PXE booting the computer and selecting the upgrade TS.  I would prefer to skip the manual disk partition cleaning step and have it performed automatically.

• 5.  RE: CM 2012 WinXP upgrade to Win7 with SEE installed

Posted Jul 15, 2013 05:17 PM

I have that as part of the boot image to prompt to repartition the disk.  The problem appears to be that it cant start up in Windows PE before SEE loads but after.  This sequence fails because the drive is unrecognizable to Windows PE in the encrypted state.  I need the task sequence to somehow load Windows PE outside of the encrypted partition so that it will boot off of it.

• 6.  RE: CM 2012 WinXP upgrade to Win7 with SEE installed

Posted Jul 16, 2013 03:28 AM

It won't be able to reboot to WinPE if the WinPE files are staged on the disk.

I'm more of an Altiris guy than SCCM so am unfamiliar with the ins and outs, but is there a PXE server/boot option available?  This would be the next thing to look at if you can't get SCCM to stage WinPE in memory rather than disk as DLFFB suggests.