Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Connecting to endpoint clients in Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.2

Posted Sep 28, 2009 02:41 PM
    Hey everyone,

I am quite new to Symantec Antivirus, so please bare with me.

I have just installed 60 or so instances of Symantec AV Corporate 10.2 and one of the server edition on our organizations server. First I installed the server edition and then proceeded to individually install the other copies. I selected Managed and they all found the server just fine after I typed in the IP address. However 25% or so seemed to not update their definitions, while the other 75% did.

At this point I went into the LiveUpdate Administration Utility and was unable to find anything helpful. However, in Symantec System Center I was able to find a list of all AV clients that have talked to the server AV program. Under the User column, most had (Logged Out). I can not access these AV clients but I cannot figure out how to get them logged in so I can update them.

Also some of the Users names are the non-administrative account (In windows) and others are the admin accounts. Do i need to add permissions to Symantec for standard users under Vista?

Any help, pointers in the right directions, or request for clarity is very welcomed.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Connecting to endpoint clients in Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.2

Posted Sep 28, 2009 04:21 PM
    So it turns out that the computers that have not been updating are 64-bit. Is there a way to download the 64 bit definitions as well as the 32-bit definitions, both off of the Server. I was able to adjust most of the 64-bit clients to download from the internet, but there is one that will not allow me to connect to it so change that setting. Any ideas?

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Connecting to endpoint clients in Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2009 02:39 AM
    if internet is not required, you may use the LUA for the clients to get the updates. SAV does not updates 64 bit OS.
    FOr 32 bit OS, check if there is issue with communication/corrupt definition!!

• 4.  RE: Connecting to endpoint clients in Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.2

Posted Sep 29, 2009 03:00 AM

For configuring Live update server you can refer below articles

Installation and configuration of LUA

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/installation-and-configuration-lua

Configuring Distribution Center in LUA

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/configuring-distribution-center-lua

• 5.  RE: Connecting to endpoint clients in Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.2

Posted Sep 29, 2009 05:48 AM

Hi Cofoadmin,

The 32-bit SAV 10.2 clients should be able to received their AV updates directly from their SAV server over a method called VDTM.  Some good info on VDTM (and other means of updating) is available in:

Updating virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x and Symantec Client Security 3.x

The 64-bit clients cannot use VDTM.  They need to receive their content either from the Internet LiveUpdate servers, or from an internal LUA 2.2 or LUAU 1.5.  If there are more than a handful of 64-bit SAV 10.2 clients, I recommend LUA 2.2 (and also the forum links about it above!)  Do be sure to put it on a server with resources to spare, and take the time to configure it for performance after install. A good article on how to tune that will be made public in the next few days.

One very good place to look for update-related trouble is right in Windows Applciation Event logs. Whenever a LiveUpdate session updates defs, there is an event logged. If a session fails, an event will give an error which can usually guide toward the root of the problem.

One final recommendation: check your version of SAV 10.2. SAV 10.2 MR4 was released recently. This should be installed on the server and SSC at least.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick