Migration UserDec 07, 2010 11:10 PM

Migration User

Migration UserDec 08, 2010 03:19 AM

Migration User

Migration UserDec 08, 2010 05:20 AM

• 1.  Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 07, 2010 06:23 PM

Hi,

We have some problems about connection with SQL Server 2008 R2.

We deployed Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 and trying to install SEPM on it. Our Database Server is SQL Server 2008 R2 which we installed on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Our SQL Server has no connection problems as we can connect from another computer by SQL server Management console.

We installed SQL Server 2008 R2 client components on SEPM server from SQL Server 2008 R2 DVD.

We can connect from SEPM server to SQL server 2008 R2 by ODBC and SQL server management console installed on SEPM server and we can connect both with SQL and Windows authentication.

But the problem is, during "Management Server Configuration Wizard" the database connection fails with "Error 11501". This error appears with a link about the TCP/IP connection configuration on SQL network configuration but i checked that they are all ok and as i said before we can connect from another computer.

I couldnt solve the problem. What can cause this?

Any help will be appriciated.

Ahmet.

• 2.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2010 09:58 PM

Did you refer to this KB:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH95291&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1291776863268

And, there is a similar issue on Connect, for your reference:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-11501-unable-create-database-symantec-endpoint-protection-manager

• 3.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 07, 2010 10:19 PM

Run "netstat -an" on the SQL server and see if it is truly listening on the SQL port (1433 by default)

Try telnetting from the SEPM to the SQL server on the SQL port

Make sure you are not using dynamic ports

• 4.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 07, 2010 11:10 PM

Can you try by disabling windows firewall?

• 5.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 03:19 AM

TCP/IP is enabled on SQL 2008?

• 6.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 03:23 AM

Thanks for suggestions

yang_zhang; i know the first link you send, because of that i wrote that i can make connections from another computer to SQL server. the other issue(https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/err...) you sent is about SQL server 2005 but i checked what they said on this issue.

zero : All TCP, UDP 1433 and UDP 1434 port are listening on SQL server.

netstat -an also says both ports are listening

AravindKM : The windows firewall is disabled on both SQL server and SEPM server. As i mentioned before, i can make ODBC connection from SEPM to SQL server. but cannot with SEPM Configuration Wizard.

is it about a problem of supporting SQL server 2008 R2?

Please let me know if there is any more suggestions?

• 7.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

• 8.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 03:41 AM

Yes TCP/IP is enabled on SQL 2008 and connections from any ODBC or SQL management console from another computer can be established.

• 9.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 04:09 AM

Hi,

Yes ai followed the instruction on the link you sent. I installed SQL server 2008 R2 client components(sqlcli.msi and sqlCmdLnUtils.msi), configured SQL server components, installed SEPM, but while on the seventh step of configure SEPm with SQL database the "Error 11501:Unable to create database..." comes up.

I created the database manually and gave the filegroups, created the sem5 user and gave the required permissions. But even after creating the database, it gives the same error.

• 10.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 04:12 AM

Are you using windows authentication?If yes try by using SQL authentication......

• 11.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 04:23 AM

Due to Error 11501

Problem

You try to create the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager database on your SQL server. You see the message, "Error 11501: Unable to create the database for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager."

(YES THIS IS MY PROBLEM)

Solution

There are two problems that can cause this error message to appear.

Network connectivity between the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and the Microsoft SQL Server is unavailable
    Ensure that the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager can communicate with the SQL server.
    Ensure that the SQL server's IP address is entered correctly in the Server Configuration Wizard on the Manager.
    Use the ping command to determine whether network traffic can flow between the Manager and the SQL server.

(SEPM AND MSSQL SERVER CAN COMMUNICATE BETWEEN EACHOTHER. SEPM SERVER CAN MAKE ODBC CONNECTION TO SQL SERVER. AND PING FROM SEPM SERVER TO SQL SERVER IS SUCCESSFULL. FIREWALL ON BOTH SERVERS ARE OFF.)

The TCP/IP protocol is disabled in Microsoft SQL Server itself
    In this case, enable the TCP/IP protocol in Microsoft SQL Server. To enable TCP/IP, follow the instructions for your version of Microsoft SQL Server:

• Microsoft SQL Server 2000: (THIS IS NOT MY ISSUE)
      In SQL Server Network Utility, add TCP/IP to the Enabled protocols list.
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008:
      In SQL Server Configuration Manager, go to SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MSSQLSERVER, and enable TCP/IP protocol.

Once you enable the TCP/IP protocol, restart the SQL Server service.

(TCP/IP PROTOCOL IS ENABLED ON SQL SERVER. CONNECTION BY SQL SERVER MANAGEMENT STUDIO FROM ANOTHER COMPUTER TO SQL SERVER IS SUCCESSFULL)

I DONT HAVE THE PROBLEMS ON THIS ARTICLE. BUT I HAVE ERROR:11501

• 12.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 04:31 AM

I tried both SQL authentication and windows authentication. both have error 11501.

the error details on logs are :

java.sql.SQLException: Could not find a Java charset equivalent to DB charset iso_1.
        at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.loadCharset(ConnectionJDBC2.java:1020)
        at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:316)
        at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.<init>(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
        at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:188)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:154)
        at com.sygate.scm.install.ui.SqlPropPanel.checkDBConnection(SqlPropPanel.java:972)
        at com.sygate.scm.install.ui.SqlPropPanel.getNextStage(SqlPropPanel.java:538)
        at com.sygate.scm.install.ui.MainFrame.nextBtnActionPerformed(MainFrame.java:762)
        at com.sygate.scm.install.ui.MainFrame.access$400(MainFrame.java:183)
        at com.sygate.scm.install.ui.MainFrame$3$1.construct(MainFrame.java:617)
        at com.sygate.scm.install.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:121)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    SqlPropPanel >> CheckDBConnection > Fail to connect to database. Vendor's error code is [0], SEPM's error code is [11501]. Error message is [Could not find a Java charset equivalent to DB charset iso_1.].
    URL link: ["http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/servlet/ProductMessages?product=SAVCORP&version=11.0.6200.754&language=turkish&module=Console&error=11501&build=symantec_ent"]

• 13.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 04:42 AM

After enabling TCP/IP in SQL server do you restarted SQL server services?If no do it and try....

• 14.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 04:46 AM

Seems to be a problem with DB itself?

>> java.sql.SQLException: Could not find a Java charset equivalent to DB charset iso_1.

DB driver cannot find the charset. I will need to have a look if SQL 2008 R2 is supported...

EDIT: nope, SQL 2008 R2 is not supported but on the other hand it should not be a problem

• 15.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 04:58 AM

is there any special configuration on SEPM for SQL server 2008 R2?

• 16.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 05:00 AM

yes i restarted. TCP/IP connection is wrking successfully. we can connect by SQL Management console remotely.

• 17.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

• 18.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 05:01 AM

Ok, in my view it is SQL server configuration problem - an issue with collation. Please have a look at http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/10894_3302341_1/SQL-Server-and-Collation.htm

• 19.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 05:20 AM

Which collation does symantec prefer?

• 20.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 05:39 AM

Asoyletir,

Please change the collation for already existing sem5 databse (it was created but SEPM was not able to populate it) to a case-insentive and re-run the configuration wizard.

• 21.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 08, 2010 12:43 PM

The compatibility between SQL Server 2008 R2 or the collation or net work was'nt the problem.

The problem was the regional settings of SEPM server. It must be English, not any other.

I think in presequesites, Symantec should make an attention on that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 22.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 08, 2010 05:42 PM

Could you clear it a little? What do you mean by regional settings for SEPM?

• 23.  RE: Database connection to SQL 2008 R2

Posted Dec 09, 2010 07:25 AM

At first, i deployed  Windows Server 2008 x64 by setting the Time and Currency Format to Turkish. Because it our company's standard in most of our servers. And because of that SEPM could start communication with SQL Server.

So i redeployed another server with English (United States) Time and Currency Format. After that i could finished my installation of EPM successfully.

I couldn't find any article about a requirement about this setting in Symantec's published documents. I lost 2 days for trying lots of variations to find the solution.

Thanks for the suggestions again.