Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Dell D620 Laptops

• 1.  Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 09:01 AM
    Just received 25 Dell D620 Laptops. Working on first one, and when I push a configuration change to the PC it fails to go over to virtual partition. Thus the Ghost Console tells me that it failed go to the "recovery" partition, Virtual partition, I assume. I did get the latest .dos driver for the Broadcom 57XX driver from the Broadcom site, copied the template, and renamed the .dos file to .old, and added the new .dos. But it changed nothing. Further I have attempted to use the universal driver, (both of them) no good still. NOTE: I did blow away the dell partitions with gdisk, and formated with gdisk as well.

Any help here would be great, I cant let these workstationa go out until I get this resolved.

Thanks in advance!!

• 2.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 09:33 AM
    Don't get drivers for dell equipment from the manufacturer.  Get them from dell.  Many top tier vendors will make the integrated chip themselves (or via their manufacturers) and license/get specs from someone like broadcom.  It may not make a difference but I have run in to things like soundblasters that soundblaster did not support etc...

What is going on? Is the machine even rebooting and do you see a DOS screen, or nothing at all and you get a failure message?

• 3.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 12:03 PM
    I will go to Dell, to get those drivers, good point. The workstation will go to the DOS screen, for a few seconds. On the Ghost console the event log states that The client failed reboot client to recovery partition.

• 4.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 12:21 PM
    Regarding the DOS driver I got from the latest Broadcom Driver Package, its dated 2005.

• 5.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 12:21 PM
    If the dell driver doesnt make the difference then when it boots to DOS hit F8 and try to step through the dos boot and see where it is failing.  You might also compare file dates for the NIC in the dos boot to what you downloaded to make sure ghost is putting the correct file in the dos boot.

• 6.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 12:40 PM
    Well, got the same problem, no difference. I will revert back to the original template

• 7.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 12:51 PM
    Noting the DOS drivers, I went from Version 10.03   (061215) to Version 8.28 (051027) so it looks like Ghost is loading the drivers as it should.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 02:20 PM
    if I step the PC through the process via F8, it will go to virtual partition. I do notice that I get a bunch of hex code on the screen but the task will complete, it goes to Virtual partition etc. So is this a timing issue?

• 9.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 25, 2007 08:09 PM
    Hi MustangMike,

Which version of the console are you running? Is it 2.0.1? Also are the machines connected to a switch?

It looks like a timing issue as introducing a delay with F8 works. When you press F8 do you see any errors ? If so can you please post that msg too.

Thanks,
    Nimi

• 10.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 26, 2007 06:08 AM
    I am running the GSS 2.1 ( the update was applied to the 2.0 version)
    Regarding errors, during the F8 process, I get a screen with a bunch of numbers, etc, but the task completes anyway, including going to Virtual partition

When I run it normally, it get to the mouse setup etc, in DOS, it stays there for about 15 seconds, then reboots into Windows, and the console states that To Virtual Partition failed

I hope this helps.

• 11.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 26, 2007 10:41 AM
    I missed the question about the switch, yes the machines are connect to a Cisco switch. Portfast is enabled.

Also when I configure the PC to use the Universal Driver, I get an error that states the "PXE UNDI not available"?

I checked the BIOS but could not find anything to configure, the machine is setup for PXE on the onboard NIC.

• 12.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 27, 2007 12:55 AM
    Hi MustangMike,

Thanks for providing all the details.
    This looks like a timing issue , when you are on a switch, sometimes there is less delay to finish the network initialization but going via F8 gives a delay to finish initializing. We are working for a fix  & it will be available with Tech support soon.I will update this post when the fix is ready.

In the meantime can you please try with Portfast disabled to see if this makes any difference?
    With the dell 620 I have, I tried with cisco switch with Portfast disabled and didn't get this issue.

Thanks,
    Nimi

• 13.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 27, 2007 01:59 AM
    Hi MustangMike,

Forgot to ask you one for more thing. Can you pls check the client when it boots up to see if there are any error msgs when you don't press F8 while the task is running, also how long do you wait normally once in F8 to go though the commands?

Thanks

• 14.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 27, 2007 08:07 AM
    Nimi, there are no error messages, everything runs fine up until it gets to the IBM Metbind Version 2.1 it stops there for about 15 seconds, and then reboots. It seems like the PC never gets the cd\ghost command, set path or the ngctdos.exe

When I step through the process, it does not matter how fast or slow I press y through the process.
    Again, I see a lot of certificate info in hex on the DOS screen. But the task is completed just the same. We did not ever see the hex/certificate info until we went to Ghost 11.X? I wonder if due to this information being sent to the PC is whats rebooting the PC? i.e. no room for the rest of the commands to be run?

I guess the next question is can we turn this off on the client side?

Can we place pauses in the batch file for the particular NIC (Ghost Console) until a resolution is found?

Regards

• 15.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 28, 2007 12:08 AM
    Hi MustangMike,

Usually for my broadcom nic, after the IBM Netbind, it tries a couple of times to get the network initialized, if there was an issue & you could see the error msg.

>>We did not ever see the hex/certificate info until we went to Ghost 11.X? I wonder if due to this information being sent to the PC is whats rebooting the PC? i.e. no room for the rest of the commands to be run?

Not really, the PC is not rebooting just because of the above hex & only in 11.x are we displaying that.

>>I guess the next question is can we turn this off on the client side?

I don't think you can turn this off on the client.

>>Can we place pauses in the batch file for the particular NIC (Ghost Console) until a resolution is found?
    Yes, you can introduce a delay on the client side since it doesn't matter how fast/slow press Y.

Regards,
    Nimi

Message Edited by Nimi Rose on 06-27-200709:10 PM

• 16.  RE: Dell D620 Laptops

Posted Jun 28, 2007 08:01 AM
    I contacted Symantec Platinum Support, the fix was

creation of a wattcp.cfg file copied into the c:\program files\symantec\ghost directory
    contents of the file

bootpto=60

That did it!!

Thanks to all who responded