Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

• 1.  Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 23, 2009 12:03 PM
    Ghost Console 11.0.2.1573

I can’t seem to get passed this one. I’m performing an Image from the console to a new Dell E6400 Latitude laptop client running WinXP SP3. Attempting to run Sysprep before creating Image, the
    DOS drivers fail to load, which of course stops the task dead in its tracks right there. I’ve become pretty quick at reversing the changes that Sysprep made using MS KB #321070, but I’m at a loss as to which driver will work for this machine.

It uses the Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device.

I’ve tried using the latest WinXP drivers from Dell; the Vista drivers mentioned HERE, but neither loads.

One post here mentioned trying the Intel drivers (directly from Intel) rather than from Dell, but I can’t find those drivers anywhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 23, 2009 03:01 PM
    Well, I found the Intel drivers so just to be certain I am going to (once again) attempt to Sysprep with all three (3) driver versions; Intel WinXP, Intel VistaPro, Dell VistaPro.

(edit) - the Intel Driver downloads do not contain .DOS files so I tried the Vista driver again... NO GO.

• 3.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 29, 2009 10:57 AM
    Has ANYONE ever Syspreped a Dell E6400 or ANY Dell with the Intel 82567LM Gigabit NIC?

If so, please help me...

I have scoured cyberspace; read countless posts; tried every driver combination that I can find and none are working, so if anybody has ever had success doing what I am attempting to do, I would really appreciate your assistance.

I really thought that I was onto something when I found people having similar problems on the Ultimate Boot CD for Win forums, but those drivers are not working either.

I'm really at a loss here. I am tempted to put in a requisition for an upgrade to the latest versio of Ghost just so that I can have 30 days of support.

Again; using Ghost Console 11.0.2.1573.

The client is installed and I am attempting to run a new image task. The client laptop displays the warning message about the pending Sysprep operation; reboots and then attempts to load the NIC driver. This is the Intel 82567LM Gigabit NIC.

If you search this forum for NIC drivers for Dell E6400 you will find a multitude of posts with no solutions or solutions offered that fail when attempted.

• 4.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 31, 2009 10:40 AM

I have finished deploying multi PCs now and the individual ones I do I use a USB stick to image the PC, however when the network driver (from dell) is unpacked, there is a folder for the dos drivers and inside is the ndis2 driver - this is the one I used to use e1000.dos.

The ghost version i have at the moment is 8 but the general method has not changed since i started using version 4/5.

Using ghost boot wizard/network boot package, add, ndis2 driver, navigate to the e1000.dos file, driver name is e1000$ (this is case sensitive so ensure it is the same as the file and ensure that .dos is replaced with $) give the new driver template a name and away you go.

Good luck all

And if anyone can tell me why my gx760 with this NIC keeps dropping its network connection, I would be grateful

• 5.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 31, 2009 10:43 AM
    i have been able to image these machines without issue using the universal driver included with ghost.

imagebrowser image

• 6.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 31, 2009 10:44 AM
    if that driver isnt available for you run live update several times until theres no updates available, i had to do 3

• 7.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 31, 2009 12:20 PM
    The DOS driver you need for that network card is the Intel Pro 1000:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=749&DwnldID=4239

After you run that executable, it will create an Intel 14.x folder at the root of your C drive. In the Ghost Boot Wizard, modify the Intel Pro 1000 template and select the e1000.dos file in that folder (C:\Intel 14.x\Pro1000\DOS\e1000.dos). Then open the console and change the properties on that machine on the Client tab to use the Intel Pro 1000 template. This should do it.

Additionally, sometimes on those machines we need to add command line switches to negotiate with the SATA drives. In the Image Create Task, click on the Advanced button in the lower right of the General tab and type these in:

-FNI -FFX -NOIDE -NOUSB

Let us know if that works!

Thank you,

Randy

• 8.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 31, 2009 01:02 PM
    i dont mean to thread hijack but..  randy, is there an advantage to using the NIC specific driver as opposed to the universal setup?  i have been using the universal dos based driver hosted on a PXE server for over a year and its booted every machine i have encountered including this one.  the only small issue i have is with AHCI enabled laptops, i just enable ATA mode to avoid it.

• 9.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Jul 31, 2009 03:23 PM
    Yes, there is an advantage. The manufacturer's specific driver will often result in better performance. This is not always the case, but sometimes the throughput speed with the universal driver is significantly lower. Additionally, the universal driver is not so much universal as it is generic. It does indeed work with most cards, but some cards require the specific driver from the manufacturer.

• 10.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Sep 07, 2009 04:49 AM
    I get this when i pxe boot my client machins and try to image them

bad or missing file \net\protman.dos
    bad or missing file \net.dis_pkt.dos
    what does this mean and how do i correct this

I am using ghost 11, when i get to the ghost screen ghostcast is greed out
    I have not idea where to go from here

the client machines are dell latitude |e6400 atg
    network card is 82567LM

I have downloaded drive after drive and still cant get this to work as it should I need some help please assist...

• 11.  RE: Dell E6400 – DOS Net Adapter Driver FAIL

Posted Oct 14, 2009 12:20 AM
    You are the man today Randal - thanks; worked like charm.