Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only
  • 1.  Dell Latitude 7450 - UEFI boot question

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 02, 2015 04:31 PM

I got in a new Latitude 7450 for testing.

I was trying to get it work with UEFI.  I was able to get it to PXE boot by turning on "enable UEFI network stack" but in PXE the C/D drives etc weren't available and Ghost failed out.

I went back into BIOS and into SATA operation and switched it from RAID to AHCI.  Now in PXE the machine sees the C/D drive and my win7 image copies down.

Great.  But not really.  Now the machine won't boot.  I get the dell black splash screen.  If I hit F2 to go into BIOS, I get Preparing to Enter Setup forever.  F12 doesn't do anything either.  It just sits there.

I tried taking out CMOS battery and RAM but still seems hosed.

I found this somewhat similar thread over at Dell.  I removed the hard drive but still can't get into BIOS.  

Secure boot was on in the BIOS if that matters and reading this other Dell article says UEFI/Secure boot should all be off for win7 - but I never saw a machine I couldn't get back into BIOS to make necessary changes.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Dell Latitude 7450 - UEFI boot question
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 09, 2015 10:13 AM

I am assuming having secure boot enabled when I installed win7 somehow corrupted BIOS or something.

Dell replaced motherboard, Secure boot was then off by default, imaged as expected and all is well again.

• 3.  RE: Dell Latitude 7450 - UEFI boot question

Posted Apr 17, 2015 06:17 PM

I have a new E7450 and when booting to pxe I get the 'restarting DHCP clietn service: retry 1' I have added the newest driver to pxe with out it helping. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks

J

• 4.  RE: Dell Latitude 7450 - UEFI boot question

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 17, 2015 06:29 PM

did you recreate your preboot env after uploading driver?  My existing PXE drivers just worked.. If you're not familiar with the process, recreate preboot, then on server watch for bootwiz process... and wait until it disappears to try again.  It takes awhile for the process to finish.