Migration User

Migration UserFeb 28, 2008 02:03 PM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 25, 2008 06:12 AM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 25, 2008 07:05 AM

• 1.  Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 05, 2007 05:22 PM
        Has anyone tried creating custom boot discs for the new Optiplex 755 with the Intel network cards? I've been unsuccessful, & I'm fairly sure that I'm using the right process. I created custom discs for the 745 w/ the Broadcom network card & it worked fine. If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 11, 2007 05:58 PM
    I am running into the same problem, I created versions perfectly find with the version with the broadcom in it, but with the intel version no luck once so ever, if you get it working or if anyone else has please post how you did it or send me a PM

thanks

Mike

• 3.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 11, 2007 06:12 PM
        I've tried repeatedly w/out success. I even tried to ghost the machine onto the 2nd hard drive, with the thought that I could then transfer it between computers, thus saving me about 2-3 hours of installations & cutting the total time for computer implementation to about 45 min. per computer. Even this didn't fully work. I'm able to ghost to the 2nd hard drive, but I can't run sysprep. If I run sysprep, the computer won't reboot (I'm running XP Pro SP2)

• 4.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 11, 2007 07:39 PM
    Everytime my college gets a new batch of computers i have to fight with ghost, to make a multicard network bootable cd, last batch we got had sata cd roms so i had to figure out how to add sata support to my boot cd and update the broadcom card now this time the sata support isnt there and cannot figure out how to get the nic to work, I have seen another product from acronis called snapdeploy i wonder if its any easier i am going to check into it more tomorrow and call them, im sick and tired of fighting with this, but  if it will work more reliably with the constant changes of hardware we get in it might be worth it, now the next issue is how easy it will be to sell to my IT director to dump the ghost we have and of which we bought 800 licenses for..

• 5.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 12, 2007 07:57 AM
    I checked into acronis and according to their message boards people are having issues with the optiplex 755 vpro with intel nic as well so there goes that solution. Time to call intel or dell and see if they have any further answers.

• 6.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 15, 2007 10:52 PM
    We have used Ultimate boot disk.  this works and you get a lot of tools.  Download from google.  Ultimate Boot CD.  Oh yea, turn off the SATA RAID to the middle selection.  That may be why your image fails or your other boot disks don't work.

• 7.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 15, 2007 11:10 PM
    I'm sorry if missed something in your post, but I'm not clear on how this allows you to access the network card using ghost. I will try to change the SATA operation, but I don't know how the Ultimate Boot CD will allow me to run Ghost. Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 16, 2007 07:59 AM
    The ultimate cd works perfect it detects the nic but still not work with the sata drives so i have it mapping a network drive letter to my ghost server and running ghost from there, the problem now is when i run the ghost system console and go to create a new image task, it will run the sysprep fine and then when it goes to reboot to start the ghost in dos mode it just skips it and goes straight into the sys prepping of the drive, god this is annoying i have never had this much trouble with any other system.

• 9.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 24, 2007 09:06 AM
    Mjoravec : You stated that you were able to add IDE and SATA CD/DVD Drive support to one multi-card DOS boot disc?  Would you be so kind as to show me how you accomplished that?  Right now I have two different boot discs.. one for IDE and one for SATA.  The SATA disc only had drivers for the Optiplex 740 with the Broadcom card.  I assumed it would work woth the new 755 but it won't see the CDROM with the GCDROM driver or the NIC. I used a Barts CD for a while but it is waaaay too slow so.

I'd appreciate any direction or help.

• 10.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 24, 2007 10:09 AM
    The optiplex 740 i used the generic sata drives and had them load right after the ide drivers so if it wouldnt detect an ide it would automatically continue and load the sata drivers, but for the new Optiplex 755 vpro model i cannot get it to work no matter what i did, so what i ended up doing was to use the Universial TCP/Ip Network boot disk located at  http://netbootdisk.com/  this allowed me to at least get the network card functioning but the sata and ide still will not work even though it scans for them. This method will also auto detect your nic i think it detects up to 255 of them it also allows you to configure the net use command which i did in order to connect to my ghost console directly and to run the ghost client from there, which isnt that big of a deal since the ghost server has to be running anyways. So no more worries about the dang sata,ide drives that no-one can get to work with this particular model. Just goto the site i listed above all the info is there and just eliminate the dependency on the cd roms.

• 11.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 24, 2007 01:49 PM
    Thanks for the info.  The 755 drive will boot fine with the disc as long as you take m130's advice from above and change SATA operation in the BIOS to RAID Autodetect / ATA.

You wouldn't happen to have copies of your config and auto laying around would you?  I'd like to see how you were able to get the IDE and SATA drives loading  off of one disc.  I've tried a few time to do it myslelf, but it keeps ending in failure.

Thanks again

• 12.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 24, 2007 04:57 PM
    I have been successfully using a Ghost 8 multi-NIC Bootable CD on Dell Optiplex and Precision systems for quite a while now.  And Ghost 7.x before that.

After I updated the Broadcom NIC driver, and changed the Dell 745 SATA Drive setting to "Legacy" we had no problems ghosting those systems.

For the 755 USFF, I updated the B57.dos file again, but I am not having any luck with the 755 recognizing the bootable CD as a valid drive using the usual oakcdrom.sys or other more recent .sys DOS device driver files.   I have tried all of the SATA drive settings,  AHCI, ATA, OFF.  None seem to work for me.

Further advice welcomed.  Thanks.

• 13.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Oct 29, 2007 03:41 PM
    I posted this in another post here maybe this will work for you:

I have not touched the 755 yet, but on some d610's and d630's my dos boot cd would not work. (command.com error)
    I have used barts boot cd ( http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/cdrom/ ) and modified it to boot right into ghost.
    It uses Linux to boot up and then loads dos, then you can run ghost. An added benefit is you only need it capture a a boot floppy with some Linux cdrom drivers after that you can add a directory with all your nic drivers and any other programs as big as a cd will handle.

Works on all the computers I have here (except for a 745 highend, some himem issue)

Message Edited by Peter ostrowski on 10-29-2007 12:41 PM

• 14.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 06, 2007 06:15 AM
    the articles there is a download of a cdrpmdrv.zip, which includes the dos driver for the SATA DVD.
    I worked for me,

• 15.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 07, 2007 12:47 PM
    I've been working with Dell on this.  They just posted an A04 BIOS update that adds the "legacy" support back in to the SATA drive options.  Haven't tried it yet, but this should work similar to the GX745 legacy drive support.

• 16.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 07, 2007 04:46 PM
    BIOS A04 adds a legacy option, but it doesn't change the SATA setting for you (that's a good thing). You still have to apply the change to the SATA setting yourself.

• 17.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 15, 2007 06:10 AM
    I couldn't see a remedy for the original posting (network connectivity from DOS on a 755).
    I had similar problem and none of the mentioned utilities even recognised presence of NIC.
    I did notice that the network was not listed in available boot devices under BIOS setup.
    I then enabled w/PXE under Onboard devices/Integrated NIC (NIC was enabled by default but without PXE)
    I then used the e1000.dos driver from Intel (previously used for the same purpose on a Dimension 9200) and achieved a Ghost caputure of the disk.
    The B57.dos used for GX150/520/620/745 didn't work.

• 18.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 22, 2007 11:28 AM
    ok i read all the threads about the Optiplex 755 and no one has a straight forward fix for the issue! Anyone has one now?

• 19.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 26, 2007 11:08 AM
    I can confirm the A04 BIOS update for the OptiPlex 755 does fix the problem, as I posted previously. In the BIOS, change the SATA drive option to "Legacy" and your bootable CD or DVD will be recognized using the standard Ghost Boot Disk drivers.  If you need network support, use the latest Intel NIC driver.

Problem solved.

• 20.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 27, 2007 01:29 PM
    I downloaded gcdrom.sys and added it along with this to my config.sys just below himem.sys in my boot sectory image for my CD's:

device=gcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

That will alow you to mount the CDRom on a SATA controller.

I never had any issues actually imaging my Optiplex 755 machine with SATA set to ATA or AHCI.  If the image didnt have AHCI turned on then that would keep it from booting but that is besides the point of this thread and took a whole different approach to get the image working again.

Make sure you have the latest NIC from Dell download site and put the NDIS2 driver in the templates folder for the intel pro 1000

Message Edited by David.Poprik on 11-27-2007 10:29 AM

• 21.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 29, 2007 02:22 PM
    Does anyone have the Dos Nic Driver for the optiplex 755 ?

• 22.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Dec 04, 2007 04:13 PM
    not sure how long this link will work.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2775&OSFullName=DOS&lang=eng&strOSs=5&submit=Go%21

you can search Intel's site for the 82566 driver.

Either use the UNDI universal driver or if you want the Intel pro 1000 you will need to grab the new e1000.dos file from intel's website add overwrite the old one located here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\Intel PRO 1000\

For the multi-template drivers to work, you will also need to add the PCI tag for the 82566 NIC in the mcassist.cfg file. Open it w/ notepad and add the following line at the bottom:

PCI-TAG = 8086 10BD : Intel Pro 1000$

Now when you create a boot disk w/ the wizard the multi-template driver w/ the pro 1000 will work for the 755.

Cheers,
    -Ben

• 23.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jan 08, 2008 11:27 AM
    You can download it from Dell. Even if the only OS's you can select are Vista and XP, once you download it and extract the file, the .dos drivers are there.

Message Edited by boot image on 01-08-2008 08:34 AM

• 24.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jan 08, 2008 11:33 AM

I have some print screens of my config.sys file if you would like me to send them to you. I have multiple drivers for various NIC's that we use along with oakcdrom.sys and gcdrom. Send me an email at tsupport@gcu.edu and I will try to help you as much as possible.

• 25.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jan 09, 2008 06:33 AM
    Hi

Instead of creating a new thread I just wanted to ask one quick related question as it is on the topic of the Optiplex 755. I am a newbie at ghost so sorry if it sounds stupid.

I have an image of the Optiplex 745 and I have read here that the NIC driver is different  (The 745 has a Broadcom 57 while the 755 an Intel 82566DM) so I will need to change that in the template with the NDIS driver. If I get this part working and try to ghost the image to the 755 with it, will I get the SATA issues I am hearing about or is the SATA controller the same and it will just work? Also, the boards have slighty different chipsets, so will any additional chipset drivers (graphics, sound) be needed?

Thanks for confirming. 

• 26.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jan 10, 2008 04:43 PM
    I'm currently imaging a few Optiplex 755's, and when I used Ghost 8's boot wizard, and created the boot disc with the dos drivers, I get a "cannot find PCI NIC card" error on boot. How can I make the boot disc realize that my NIC card is integrated? This might be a really stupid question, I'm one of the junior IT persons here and I have alot to learn, but this seemed like the best place to get answers. I feel like I'm so close to getting this boot disc right, and being able to image these pesky dells. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 27.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jan 14, 2008 03:57 PM
    Here is what I did and it worked great.

1. I went to Dell's support site (support.dell.com) and downloaded the Intel drivers (about 5MB). Or you can download them here;  ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R162323.EXE

2.  Extracted the contents to a new folder
    3.  Located the DOS\NDIS2 directory.  Within there there should be 2 files (e1000.dos and protocol.ini).
    4.  Created a new file called oemsetup.inf
    5.  Edit the oemsetup.inf file and copy/paste the following into it.

; OEMSETUP.INF for Broadcom Ethernet Adapter
    [netcard]
    E1000$="Intel Ethernet", 0, NDIS, Ethernet, REAL, E1000$_ini, E1000$_ini

[E1000$_ini]
    DriverName=E1000$
    device=E1000.dos, @INST\E1000$.dos
    NETDIR=5:E1000$.dos

6. Save the file
    7. Run the Symantec Ghost Boot Wizard Creator.
    8. When asked to Select the Network Driver choose Add
    9. Click the Setup Button and point to the NDIS folder you just created.
    10.  Everything else is default until the end.

I created an ISO for this and it works great whith GhostCast Server.

• 28.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 06, 2008 03:21 PM
    Excellent solution MagnumVP.  That worked for me right off the bat.

Also for Vista Ghosters, be sure to run these DOS commands in Vista just before Ghosting:

BCDEDIT /set {bootmgr} device boot
    BCDEDIT /set {default} device boot
    BCDEDIT /set {default} osdevice boot

• 29.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 07, 2008 05:42 AM
    Does anyone get the Intel 82566DM-2 working with a gigabit network connection? My card connects only with 100mbps to the gigabit switch.

• 30.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 07, 2008 03:53 PM
    I have worked with this dell 755 all day and didn't get no where until i called dell tech support.  Told him i was using ghost suite 2.0 to make a boot usb drive and the 755 was not booting.  He mentioned creating a floppy boot disk and i used the ghost boot wizard and holy smokes it worked like a champ.  When using the ghost boot wizard to make the 2 each boot floppies, you have to do some prep work before creating the floppies.  you have to bring the dos drivers into the ghost software ( help for this is posted somewhere on the www ).  The dos drivers are located on the drivers disk that came with the 755 or on the dell support web site.  hope this helps someone and keeps them from spending hours to make something work. 
    i think the major issue is trying to boot to a flash / usb drive is a no go with the 755's.  Old technology is the way to go here......

• 31.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 08, 2008 04:39 PM
    kcs,

I received 6 new 755's less than a week ago.  I just got one out of the box and booted into Ghost, successfully imaging it with unicast and GhostCast Server in the Console from a 512MB USB key.

I used the updated Intel 1000 Pro driver (from Intel, not Dell, file size 56.36 KB, dated 7-16-2007) and had to add the PCI-TAG 8086 10DB to the mcassist.cfg.  I then used the Network Boot Package, clicked Show All Drivers and started a Mulit-Card template.  I include 8 different drivers on it, including the Intel 1000 NIC from the 755's and the Broadcom from the 745's (I had to update the driver there as well).  I tried it right after recreating it and it worked fine.

It's been ok with GSS 2.0.1 and now GSS 2.0.2 with the updated drivers and mcassist.cfg.

Hope this helps some.

• 32.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 28, 2008 01:20 PM
    Well I'm in the same boat. I have 15 new Dell 755 Optiplex machines. I have updated Ghost Console to 2.0.1. I am running the latest driver from Dell for the 82566DM nic.

The problem is that I can't find e1000.dos anywhere. I have tried Intel's site, no luck. If I try to install the proper driver from Intel it says there is no device present. In device manager it clearly shows an Intel 82566DM network card.

I have tried the Dell drivers and utilities cd that came with the worksations, but e1000.dos is not there.

Could someone give me a link to where I can grab it or maybe send it to me in an email?

Also, when I go into the properties for the workstation in Ghost console, I see "Unknown PCI identifiers:32902:4285" listed under Use Suggested Template (which is grayed out). I have tried the Intel Pro 1000 drivers but it fails when going to a virtual partition like others have noted.

• 33.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 28, 2008 01:32 PM
    e1000b.dos is for the Intel Pro 1000.

The file you're looking for is in the folder PRO1000\DOS. Hope it helps.

Message Edited by eS on 02-28-2008 10:40 AM

• 34.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 28, 2008 01:42 PM
    Ok, I found e1000.dos in the Dell driver R162323. It is dated 1-30-2007 and 56.2kb.

I replaced the dos template e1000.dos with this one, then rebooted the pc. I still get the same error above.

• 35.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 28, 2008 02:03 PM
    Thanks eS
    Unfortunately that didn't work either.

• 36.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 29, 2008 09:18 AM

I used the updated Intel 1000 Pro driver (from Intel, not Dell, file size 56.36 KB, dated 7-16-2007) and had to add the PCI-TAG 8086 10DB to the mcassist.cfg.

Was this on the client end (Dell 755) or did you update it on the Ghost server template?

• 37.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 29, 2008 10:49 AM
    I updated the Ghost server template for the Intel Pro 1000.  I don't do anything on the client side with the new machines.  They come out of the box, get a BIOS change to enable WOL then get booted to the USB key where I grab the image via unicast and a GhostCast server pull session.

• 38.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 29, 2008 11:40 AM
    Are you running XP or Vista? The reason I ask is maybe that is why my driver date for the Pro 1000 differs.

Would you be able to point me to where you downloaded the Intel drivers with that date?

• 39.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 29, 2008 11:46 AM
    I'm running XP Pro, SP2.  I just replied to your other thread regarding the driver download.

• 40.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Mar 12, 2008 06:04 PM
    thank for everyone's input, I have successfully located the latest Intel8566DM-2 driver, change the SATA in Bios to "Legacy", created the new NIC option in "network boot package", and created the iso file for bootable CD. 

Becasue my 755s are "Ultra Slim", they don't have floppy disk drive, I put the CD to span, ----it won't boot.......
    there is another option, I can USB drive.  But it still won't boot.......

Can any one point out what went wrong?  Help!!

Thanks in advance

Lydia

• 41.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Mar 12, 2008 08:25 PM
    Sorry If I've just jumped in on this halfway but some suggestions.

So is it trying to boot from USB? I use USB and you can try pressing F12 and select USB to make sure it boots rather than changing the BIOS.

Do you see it start PC Dos?
    have you got a DHCP server set ok? or trying with a static ip?

• 42.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Mar 12, 2008 08:39 PM
    Thank you for responding.

Yes.  I did hit "F12" and choose to boot either from CD Rom or USB flash drive.  It went and stayed on the blank screen, only cursor was blinking.

The settings is set for PC-DOS, DHCP.  I don't even proceed to that part yet.  It seems the autoexec.bat file did not run at all. 

Lydia

• 43.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Mar 13, 2008 04:05 PM
    Search for "PRODOS.EXE" from the Intel.com site.  The PRODOS driver usually works fine with the 755s.  Also make sure that you use the appropriate SATA switches with Ghost (-noide -ffx -fni).

If all fails, you could create a Windows PE disk that contains Ghost32.  That way you won't have to worry about the SATA operation mode or deal with DOS drivers.  The only downside is that it's a little time consuming to build.

• 44.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Mar 13, 2008 04:58 PM
    Make sure that you plug the USB flashdisk to the back of the PC, not the front.  Often times the port on the front is just a USB hub.

• 45.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Mar 13, 2008 07:18 PM
    hm ok; I THINK this is the link I used. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=999&OSFullName=DOS&lang=eng&strOSs=5&submit=Go%21  ( sorry if it's not the right link it was many months ago and possibly things have changed. )

to get the intel driver. And I had the BIOS set to default. created a USB stick and voila! It was really that easy.
    I didn't have to worry about SATA settings or what not's it the autoexec file.

I also did test it with the Universal driver and PXE boot which was slower but did the job.  The fact that it's not booting and freezing before you get to PC-DOS is weird. 
    I continually order 755's and still use the same boot stick. It also works on my R61's Thinkpads.

I can't suggest anything else; apart from going back to the drawing board.

• 46.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted May 12, 2008 04:07 PM
    DOWNLOAD, E1000.DOS:

RUN SET UP "THIS WILL NOT CHANGE YOUR NEWER DRIVER FILE"

MODIFY THE INTEL PRO 1000 DOS FILE W/ THE E1000.DOS, IN THE GHOST BOOT WIZARD.

RE-RUN...you will get a sys a:.net.net error ignore proceed. This is an original conflict due to the interface. You just need to get the image across network.

" I have to run 20 pc's..

• 47.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted May 12, 2008 04:07 PM
    DOWNLOAD, E1000.DOS:

RUN SET UP "THIS WILL NOT CHANGE YOUR NEWER DRIVER FILE"

MODIFY THE INTEL PRO 1000 DOS FILE W/ THE E1000.DOS, IN THE GHOST BOOT WIZARD.

RE-RUN...you will get a sys a:.net.net error ignore proceed. This is an original conflict due to the interface. You just need to get the image across network.

" I have to run 20 pc's..

• 48.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jun 23, 2008 11:25 AM
    Using ghost11.5 and am also having issues with 755's

I use a network boot disc from here http://www.netbootdisk.com/
    and set it to run a batch file to map to the ghost.exe file and some network shares
    below is the one I use for multi casting (boots, starts ghost and auto joins multicast session called multi
    Just ditch the -clone,mode=restore,src=@MCmulti,dst=1 -batch -quiet and you just end up in ghost.

Have to set the bios to legacy mode thou which is a bit cack.

---x:itsbuilds-----g:studentbuild------h:staff------
    net use h: \\casper\images
    net use g: \\casper\images2
    net use x: \\itsbuilds\csrbuilds
    x:
    x:ghost -clone,mode=restore,src=@MCmulti,dst=1 -batch -quiet -sure -rb
    REM
    REM Note: the -rb = reboot when done :)

• 49.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jul 02, 2008 07:43 AM

We have just had a Optiplex 755 delivered with the intel 82566DM-2 NIC to create a master image as we are expecting another 73 machines.

Im having trouble booting into ghost and getting the Unicast and multicast options to show. I am booting off a USB key, and the boot to the menu from the USB key works fine, and ghost boots. We have an autoexec.bat file on the USB, which is here

@echo off
    cls
    prompt $p$g
    Common\netbind.com
    MOUSE.COM

cls
    Goto %config%

REM =======================================
    :BootDELL755

ECHO Loading Ghost Boot for Dell 755

GOTO GHOST2

REM =======================================

@ECHO OFF

:Ghost1

cd \Common
    echo Loading Ghost...
    GHOST.EXE
    GOTO END

REM =================

:Ghost2

cd \Common
    echo Loading Ghost...
    GHOST.EXE -FNI
    REM ===== END ======

:END

and the config.sys file here:

[menu]
    menucolor=1,3
    menuitem=BootDELL755,SetUp to Boot Ghost with Intel NIC - Dell 755
    [common]

[BootDELL755]
    DEVICE=DELL755\protman.dos /I:\DELL755
    DEVICE=DELL755\dis_pkt.dos
    DEVICE=DELL755\e1000.dos

In the folders on the USB key, i have got a folder called DELL755 and in here is the e1000.dos file and protocol.ini (both from the folder from the intel site), protman.dos, netbind.com, protman.exe and DIS_PKT.dos.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tim

Message Edited by Timbo_343 on 07-02-2008 04:51 AM
    Message Edited by Timbo_343 on 07-02-2008 04:53 AM
    Message Edited by Timbo_343 on 07-02-2008 04:54 AM

• 50.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jul 03, 2008 02:42 PM

FIXED!!!!!

Have managed to successfully create a bootdisk with menus that will work from a USB key and boot into ghost on an Optiplex 755 machine.

If anyone wants to know how, it takes about 3 mins to do, and requires 3 files from me, PM me and ill send them over with instructions. This has been tested out on 2 other networks and they said it worked fine.

Tim

• 51.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jul 05, 2008 11:07 AM

Hi Timbo_343

Would you be kind enough to help me creating image of Dell Optiplex 755? Since this machine doesn't have floppy disk, we're having problems creating image of the HD. I tried using hiren 9.5 with its cloning utilites like norton ghost 11 but it doesn't seem to recognize the the cd-rom drive. Hope you can provide me a code or something like ghost boot cd to download for us to use with our new machines in creating ghost images. Thank you.

• 52.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jul 08, 2008 10:14 PM
    What you need to do is extract the extcd.sys driver from the dell ResourceCD and put it on your boot disk and change your config.sys file Add DEVICE=A:\extcd.sys /d:mscd001 and it will load the driver for the dvd drive.......

• 53.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jul 28, 2008 05:59 AM

Hi,

I have the same your problem Dell optiplex 755 + Ghost 8.

I need your files and the instruction to solve this problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Ciao Angelo

Sorry for my bad English.

{removed}

[Edited: Removed personal information per the community rules and regulations.]

Message Edited by Brad_C on 11-25-2008 02:25 PM

• 54.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Sep 23, 2008 11:13 AM

I'm using Ghost version 8 and having problems getting the floppy disks to boot. I've tried everything you guys suggested here for the Optiplex 755s and i've got 8 of them to ghost. I've come close a few times to it working, but when it gets into the ghost screen it freezes up. Not sure what's causing that.

Managed to get it to boot into ghost without network capabilities though.

Timbo_343 if you don't mind could you send me them instructions and files you used to create your Optiplex 755 boot or post them on here it would help everyone greatly.

Message Edited by soldierx on 09-23-2008 08:15 AM

• 55.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 19, 2008 10:23 AM

Timbo,

I am also having issues with this as well, could you send me the information?

Thanks in advance!!

• 56.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 19, 2008 10:30 AM

Sure, can you send me an email address please.

Thanks

Tim

• 57.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 19, 2008 09:28 PM

Please send info also.

Thanks,

Larry

{removed}

Message Edited by Brad_C on 11-20-2008 09:58 AM

• 58.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 20, 2008 04:34 AM

Hello Timbo,

please send me the files, thanks in advance.

{removed}

Ciao

Message Edited by Brad_C on 11-20-2008 09:58 AM

• 59.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 25, 2008 05:59 AM

This has been driving half our department crazy for some time now. Would much appreciate it if you could show us the light.

Thanks

Billy

• 60.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 25, 2008 06:12 AM

Hi Billy

Can you PM me your email address?

Thanks

• 61.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Nov 25, 2008 07:05 AM

Sent, Thanks in advance.

Billy

• 62.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jan 06, 2009 11:38 AM

Does anybody have a step by step of this process using the virtual partition ?

I've tried adding a new template driver using the dell/intel drivers mentioned but it still doesn't work.

I must be missing some paramaters I guess.  I have no problems taking an image from a USB stick and saving it to the stick.

Thanks

• 63.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Jan 06, 2009 02:44 PM

I just followed mrguitar suggestion on page 3.

This worked great.  many thanks !!!

• 64.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Feb 12, 2009 11:57 AM

I'd like to confirm what jcccomputer said. The extcd.sys driver does allow you to create a bootable CD for the 755 WITHOUT having to set the BIOS to Legacy mode. If you use this driver, the gccdrom.sys driver can be removed. I've also got the extcd.sys driver to work with the following Dell models: Optiplex 745, Optiplex 755, OptiPlex 760, Latitude E6400, Latitude E5400.

Thanks jcccomputer, you saved me a headache.

Message Edited by Bowman on 02-12-2009 09:00 AM

• 65.  RE: Dell Optiplex 755 Boot Disc

Posted Mar 04, 2010 04:19 PM
    Create a boot diskette in Ghost 7 or 8 for an Intel 1000 card. Then download the PRODOS.EXE file from Intel and replace the e1000.DOS file in the NET folder of the ghost boot diskette with the one from the PRODOS.EXE installation of the same name. Done.

You can find that file here:

http://www.infodesics.com/share/e1000.zip

I use it for all my Optiplex 620, 745, and 755.