Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 01:39 AM

Hi All,

Do I need to deploy Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance_ML.ova for every single ESX host or just one for all ESX host managed by one VCenter ?

• 2.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 08:32 AM

You must install a Security Virtual Appliance on each ESXi host if you want the GVMs on the host to use vShield-enabled Shared Insight Cache.

• 3.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2012 11:00 AM

Hi John,

Did you check help topic?

You will find this info.

A Symantec Endpoint Protection Security Virtual Appliance is a Linux-based virtual appliance that you install on a VMware ESX/ESXi server. Symantec Endpoint Protection Security Virtual Appliance integrates with VMware's vShield Endpoint and hosts the Symantec Endpoint Protection Shared Insight Cache server.

Shared Insight Cache lets Guest Virtual Machines (GVMs) share scan results so that identical files need to be scanned only once across all GVMs on the ESX/ESXi host. Shared Insight Cache improves performance of full scans by reducing disk I/O and CPU usage

• 4.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 06:25 PM

Cool,

Many thanks for the assistance people, so in this case after you install it on every ESX host, then you'll need to uninstall SEP client on every Windows Server for agentless scanning ?

is that correct ?

• 5.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 07:12 PM

It's just a SIC so than you need to point the clients to use it. You still need the SEP client. The Admin guide explains it all. Chapter 29 starting on page 667.

• 6.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 08:07 PM

Cool, many thanks Brian

Does this appliance also manage the SAVFL or Linux agent as well ?

• 7.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 08:26 PM

No, it will not managed Linux clients, those are still separate.

• 8.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 10:11 PM

thanks all,

So I guess in this case the SEP client will still needs to be installed in all of the VMware Guest OS ?

• 9.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 10:14 PM

Yes, you're correct.

• 10.  RE: Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Posted Nov 19, 2012 11:02 PM

I'd thoght so.. :-|

thanks for the advice and suggestion.

Cheers.