Network Access Control

View Only
  • 1.  Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?

Posted Aug 01, 2012 08:50 PM

Hi All,

Does the Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is also part of the SEPM 12.1 ?

meaning that it is already included in the licensing as part of the SEPM package ?

cmiiw

• 2.  RE: Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2012 08:56 PM

no, the agent module is same . SEP client have NAC, however to enable it you should SNAC license to activate on SEPM

• 3.  RE: Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2012 09:00 PM

• 4.  RE: Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?

Posted Aug 01, 2012 09:27 PM

You Need SNAC license for activation in SEPM.

Installation and Administration Documents for Symantec Network Access Control 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55844&key=52788

• 5.  RE: Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?

Posted Aug 01, 2012 09:36 PM

Hm... I got the email from the upgradecenter@symantec.com on 9 July 2012 which said: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are pleased to announce the release of SYMC PROTECTION SUITE ENTERPRISE EDITION 4.0, available July 5, 2011. As a customer with current maintenance/support on a previous version of this product, you are entitled to this new release free of charge as part of your maintenance/support subscription for supported licenses.

Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.0 includes:

• New: Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 (Windows and Mac)**
    • Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.0 Windows Edition
    • New: Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 6.5 with Premium Anti-spam
    • New: Symantec Messaging Gateway 9.5 (formerly Brightmail Gateway)
    • New: Symantec Web Gateway 5.0
    • New: Symantec Network Access Control 12.1
    • New: Symantec System Recovery 2011 Desktop Edition (formerly Backup Exec System Recovery)
    • New: Symantec Workflow 7.1
    • IT Analytics Solution for Symantec Endpoint Protection Pack 7.1
    • Symantec Installation Manager 7.1 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

which means as per the above email I can doenload it from Fileconnect and then use it as part of the licensing :-)

• 6.  RE: Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2012 10:17 PM

:-), I believe so...Can you check if you have SNAC license already in place?

• 7.  RE: Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 02, 2012 03:50 AM

SEP and SNAC are licensed separately, and you need a license for SNAC in order to enable that functionality on a SEPM.

What your upgrade notification refers to, is the Symantec Protection Suite, which include licenses for SEP, SNAC (self-enforcement), Web Gateway and a whole load of other products as you can see (everything in that list in fact).

Either via https://licensing.symantec.com or in the license pdf Symantec provide, you should be able to find a separate serial number and slf file for SNAC.  This needs to be applied to your SEPM to enable the SNAC functionality.

I often see companies purchase the Suite as it's a better deal, but then only go on to implement SEP and forget about the rest of the products.  I'd highly recommend reading up on all of the products you are seemingly licensed for, to see if these can contribute to the security of your environment.

As you've got the licenses, why not use them?

• 8.  RE: Does Symantec Network Access Control 12.1 is part of SEPM licensing ?

Posted Aug 02, 2012 04:01 AM

Yes,

That's what I'm asking in this forum, because I can download the component in the fileconnect website, so I can safely assume that I can use the product.