Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  DS 7.1.2316 SP1 Windows 7 Run Script Issues

Posted Jan 13, 2012 10:47 AM

I have a few "Run Script" (Command Script) tasks that work without issues on Windows XP.  I'm having problems running the same scripts on Windows 7.

Issue #1:

I have a script that changes the default background after boot from image deployment to let Tech imaging that the computer is being worked on by the DS.  The script  as follows maps a network drive and copies the wallpaper temp.bmp to C:.  Then I have it run the command below. 

REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Wallpaper /t REG_SZ /d c:\temp.bmp /f
    RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

In Windows 7 the second line doesn't update immediately (known issue) so we force a reboot to apply the changes.  This works perfect on XP.  When I run the script on Windows 7 it completes the task without errors but never changes the registry key.  I've tried using a *.bat that is copied over to C: via the Run Script task and start it using the command "start c:\wallchange.bat".  I've done this with a *.cmd as well. When I open the task manager I can see cmd.exe running after the script runs.  To veryfy the batch file work, I double click on the *.bat, located in C:, it makes the changes to the registry. 

Issue #2:

As an alternative to Issue #1, I have a *.hta that displays the temp.bmp as a splash on the computer.  I run it using the command "start /b mshta.exe c:\splash.hta"  This works without problems in Windows XP but in Windows 7 it completes the task and reports no errors.  If I open the task manager after running the scipt it shows the the process "mshta.exe" is running but the hta is not displayed.  If I run the command locally on the computer it displays the the spash message.

ds-712316-sp1-windows-7-run-script-issues 
    I have a task to deploy 7-zip then I have a "Run Script" task that runs after installing 7-zip that to import a *.reg that contains the configuration settings for the right click context menu.  The command "Run Script" runs is below.

regedit.exe /s z:\ZIP\7ZIPWIN7.reg

The file is copied over to C: and executed with the above command in the task.  This works without issues on XP but in Windows 7 it runs through the script and reports no errors.  The key is not imported.

What I have done in Windows 7 to try to make it work:
    1. Disabled UAC.
    2. Disabled the Firewall.
    3. We have no AV installed during script execution.
    4. Computer is not on a domain so no policies are applied.
    5. I've also disabled Windows Defender.

I've tested all my scripts locally on the computer and execute fine.  If I run them through the "Run Script" task, for Windows 7, then they complete without errors but has the issues mentioned above.  The Windows 7 image is all vanilla except for the Windows updates it installed.  I've hit a brick wall.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

• 2.  RE: DS 7.1.2316 SP1 Windows 7 Run Script Issues
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 16, 2012 04:04 PM

So I found the fix.  Windows 7 is somehow, unkown to me, blocking the registry changes being done by the command line.  Since I know if I run the command locally on the machine works I just changed the task to run as "Current Logged On User'.  I'm pretty sure I tried that before but somehow now it works.  That has fixed the problem.