Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  EDPA (DLP) 12.5 Update Crashes Altiris Agent 7.6 (Symantec Management Agent)

Posted Oct 20, 2016 01:12 PM

When I attempted to deploy DLP 12.5 (AKA. EDPA) via Altiris Agent 7.6 the altiris agent service. This could be dangerous since we could have an issue where installation of the DLP agent has issues part way through and the Altiris Agent keeps trying to install it since it would create a looping crash of the Altiris Agent.

Is this expected behaviour or is there some way we can prevent DLP installations and upgrades from taking down the Altiris Agent service?

In the event manager I see:

7036 Service Control Manager

The EDPA service entered the stopped state.

7036 Service Control Manager

The Symantec Management Agent service entered the stopped state.

7006 Service Control Manager

The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error: 
    Access is denied.

• 2.  RE: EDPA (DLP) 12.5 Update Crashes Altiris Agent 7.6 (Symantec Management Agent)

Posted Dec 19, 2016 04:30 PM

Try installing in the following order:

1. Run AexAgentUtil.exe \clean using the tool for removing the agent.

2. Install Altiris Agent. Verify both Altiris Agent and Software Delivery Plugin are installed correctly and update to latest version using.

3. Install DLP Plug-in, using Altiris. Check if DLP install corretly, otherwise check install_agent.log on C.\ and see log from DLP installation.

Till this step, check if service shuts down again.

4. If fails again, try installing DLP Agent manually (not using Altiris) and see if still gets the same error.

• 3.  RE: EDPA (DLP) 12.5 Update Crashes Altiris Agent 7.6 (Symantec Management Agent)

Posted Dec 19, 2016 06:01 PM

Thanks for the reccomendation. I uninstalled using the clean switch and installed from scratch and got the same result. I even freshly imaged a new computer and got the same results.

I even tried installing DLP manually (outside of altiris) and shuts down the Altiris Agent Service.

From what I can tell, this appears to be a bug in DLP's install. My question is whether this DLP behaviour is intentional or not since I am planning to deploy this to 25k clients.

• 4.  RE: EDPA (DLP) 12.5 Update Crashes Altiris Agent 7.6 (Symantec Management Agent)

Posted Dec 20, 2016 11:54 AM

duplicate reply, please delete