Data Loss Prevention

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

• 1.  EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 03, 2017 01:54 PM

I am attemping to deploy DLP 12.5.3. After the install the edpa service is set to manual and will not run. Error logs show service denied.

This is deployed using admin rights in SCCM.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 04, 2017 11:31 PM
    Does this happen on more than one machine? Corrupt installations are not uncommon, uninstall the agent and then restart and try again. Also if you installed to a machine that already has the agent and you installed instead of upgrading or didnt restart after uninstalling this can occur.

• 3.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 10, 2017 02:16 PM

Tried reinstalling numerous times, including removing the previous if there was one, rebooting, etc. This seems to just be impacting our x32 machines. I've tested about a dozen. 4 are fresh images with no previous versions. All services fails with same error: The EDPA services terminated with the following error: Access is denied.

• 4.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Feb 11, 2017 04:31 AM

hello,

If you get this issue only for x32 machine, you may try to rebuild your package for x32 just to be sure there was no problem in it.

regards

• 5.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 13, 2017 07:31 PM
      |   view attached

Hello

Something similar happened to me with version 14.5, I also deploy them with the SCCM, casually I came up with that error, the ideal is to uninstall it because it is corrupt and the EDPA service does not work well.

I attached the screen to see if it is the same thing that happened to you.

Regards,

• 6.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 14, 2017 08:47 AM
    1. Check the rights/previlages used to deploye agent installation from SCCM
    2.  test on some more machine
    3. try manual installation and check

• 7.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 14, 2017 09:41 AM

Thanks Lothar - I have seen that error in testing packages years ago, but not this time. I have a 14.x package I've attempted as well and same issue.

• 8.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 14, 2017 09:47 AM

Thanks - I've taken SCCM out of the equation a while ago. Manual install from the MSI, entering the field data, or running from a bat file with the parameters assigned makes no difference. I just created my own service in case there was corruption in the MSI process but I still get the same results, Access Denied.

Again this is just on my x32 machines, all so far. Comparing permissions in the reg, services, directories, etc., to the x64 machines and everything looks the same. The only difference is on the x64 machines this installs under the Program Files (x86) dir. I can't help but think there is something to that...

My corp contact who provides the installation packages is out until Thursday so I'm not sure what else to try in the meantime.

• 9.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 15, 2017 07:46 AM

Are you sure you're not using the incorrect package?

Redownload the agent binaries, recreate the package in Enforce and install manually ensuring you run it as administrator (you need local administrative privs).

I've installed this on many different Windows 7 deployments with no issues. If your 64 and 32 bit SOEs are identical in applications/settings then it's likely just the package.

• 10.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Feb 15, 2017 10:45 AM

No I am not sure to be honest. I get these installations from our Corp team. At this point I am pretty sure it's the msi. The person I was working with isn't back in the office until tomorrow. I will update. Thanks!

• 11.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Mar 02, 2017 12:07 PM

My contact has opened a ticket with Symantec. We've confirmed the packages are good. Waiting to hear back.

• 12.  RE: EDPA service will not run 12.5.3

Posted Mar 23, 2017 10:37 AM

Symantec and our Corp worked to provide a new msi but we still had trouble so we moved to 14.5.1. I can only resolve this by running the comand line from an Admin elevated cmd box. I can't run the command line from SCCM or from a bat file like I can deploying the x64 version.

I found an article that recommends using a mst. I created one using Orca as per the instructions but the msi won't see the mst. Any other recommendations?

https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/deploy-dlp-endpoint-agent-active-directory-gpo