File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Encryption Desktop with El Capitan 10.11.5 or higher

Posted Jan 12, 2017 04:36 PM

I have been happily using Encryption Desktop 10.4.0 MP1 with El Capitan after patiently waiting for it to come out and getting great advice from Mike Ankeny on this site.

I was coaching a co-worker about how to update to El Capitan and use PGP when I found the updated article at https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH174563.html which states:

Mac OS X 10.11 - El Capitan

Mac OS X 10.11.0 - 10.11.4 - Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.4 GA (Build 1200) through 10.4 MP1HF1 (Build 1245).  In order to support Symantec Drive Encryption on El Capitan, please see article TECH235027 for more information.

Note: Symantec Drive Encryption is not supported on Mac OS X 10.11.5 and above, however the email components are still supported.  During the installation, choose "Customize" and deselect the option to install Symantec Drive Encryption.

Then, to my horror I see that I am now running 10.11.6!

I've been using Encryption Desktop on 10.11.6 with no apparent problems for awhile.  Is the "not supported" related to creating new PGD files (which I haven't done since upgrading but know there is a special procedure in 10.4 called out in TECH235027 referenced above)?

Is a version of Encryption Desktop that will work with MaxOS Sierra in the works?

Thank you for your assistance.

-Larry

• 2.  RE: Encryption Desktop with El Capitan 10.11.5 or higher

Posted Jan 25, 2017 09:33 AM

Hi there, I'm running Encryption Desktop 10.4.1 (build 490) with OS 10.11.6. I'm not currently using it for email encryption or whole disk encryption. My sole use is to access my PGPdisk virtual drives, previously created in earlier versions. Is PGP disk functionality compatable with Mac OS 12 Sierra? I've been reluctant to update my OS because I can't seem to find a clear answer. Are there any updates on a new release? Thanks for any help you can provide. - Peter

• 3.  RE: Encryption Desktop with El Capitan 10.11.5 or higher

Posted Jan 25, 2017 10:53 AM

Typically, what Symantec mean by "Not Supported" is that they've not tested it, not verified it would work, and made no changes to it to accommodate that OS and Software version combination.

It is entirely possible that it will work, but if anything goes wrong, you may not be able to log a support case with them.

• 4.  RE: Encryption Desktop with El Capitan 10.11.5 or higher

Posted Jan 25, 2017 01:35 PM

<connect-link class="ng-isolate-scope" link="controller.item.communityManager.managerLink" style="box-sizing: inherit;">Jami-</connect-link>

Could you or Mike Ankeny add some information on this? 

Thank you.

-Larry

• 5.  RE: Encryption Desktop with El Capitan 10.11.5 or higher

Posted Jan 25, 2017 06:28 PM

Thanks for your response Larry. I know there exists a possibility it will work fine but the small chance that it does not can be devastating. I ran into this problem when I updated to El Capitan. all my functionality was lost and I waited for many months for the updated Desktop Encryption software to be released. I can't afford to risk not having access to these virtual drives for several months. I was hoping someone reading this has tried it and can confirm it works. -Peter

• 6.  RE: Encryption Desktop with El Capitan 10.11.5 or higher

Posted Feb 15, 2017 03:07 PM

Has anyone gotten the Encryption Desktop server to distribute filevault recovery keys ?