Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  endpoint11.0 liveupdate setting

Posted Jan 19, 2010 12:40 PM
    hi! What's the different between the options below in The LiveUpdate Settings Policy>Server Settngs? Does item 1 below refer to my endpoint management svr? IF that's the case then what's the different from 2.2? If item 1 is my endpoint11.0's management svr.....then how do i set the schedule for the endpoint client to get the update from item 1? (because if i uncheck item 2, i wouldn't hv the option to select the schedule) Thanks.

1) Use the default management server (recommended)
    2) Use a LiveUpdate server
          2.1->Use the default Symantec Live Update Server
          2.2-> Use a specified internal liveupdate server

• 2.  RE: endpoint11.0 liveupdate setting

Posted Jan 19, 2010 12:48 PM
     Option 1 points all of the clients to the SEPM server. 
    Option 2 lets you choose another server --

2.1 Means all clients will contact the Symantec liveupdate servers over the internet, on their own.
    2.2 Would only be used if you have your own liveupdate server within your organization.  Usually this would be for large companies.

• 3.  RE: endpoint11.0 liveupdate setting

Posted Jan 19, 2010 01:07 PM
    hi dlee2,

this is sort of confusing for most of us
    here is the thing

) Use the default management server (recommended)
    Clients wil get updates from the symantec manager, you dont have any schedule that means you cant set a schedule, they will talk to the manager based on heart beat setting which is 5 mins by default. only at that time they will talk and get updates from the manager
    You cant set a schedule thats why its grayed out by design

2) Use a LiveUpdate server
          2.1->Use the default Symantec Live Update Server
    this is by using internet
    based on the schedule they will go out and take defs
    they will contact to 
    symante.liveudpate.com
    ftp.symantec.com
    symantec.com

2.2-> Use a specified internal liveupdate server

if you dont want to use any of the above, you can set your clients from internal liveudpate server
    you can install LUadmin from cd2 tools folder of sepm
    once set, your clients will take from this server

this is usually for large set of clients who are concerned about bandwith and want to udpate all the symantec products by using just one luadmin

let me know if you have any questions please.

• 4.  RE: endpoint11.0 liveupdate setting

Posted Jan 19, 2010 07:31 PM
    hi! So item 1 and 2.1 can actually be the same server? Is there anyway that i can check whether i've installed the luadmin in my current setup? My objective is to have my 1500 clients to connect to my internal server(item1) for virus def. file and if the client can't contact item1 then they will go to the Symantec Live update.

Is my current setup correct? My item 1 and item 2.1 is checked. Will that meet my requirements? and where do i change the default 5 minute heartbeat setting  between item1 and the clients. (does that mean every 5mins the clients will check for update from item 1?)Thx.

• 5.  RE: endpoint11.0 liveupdate setting
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 19, 2010 10:12 PM
    Yes they can be on the same server , however its not recommended because your manager will downoad defs and your luadmin wil too downlod defs on the same box increasing size
    but yes they can be on the same server.
    to check if you have installed, just to got start all programs check if you see liveudpate adimistrator, if not you can install it frm CD2 under tools folder

Is my current setup correct? My item 1 and item 2.1 is checked. Will that meet my requirements?
    yes , if they wont get it from manager, you will have a schedule set under 2.1 where they will use interne to get definitions, in any case they will get the definitions

where do i change the default 5 minute heartbeat setting  between item1 and the clients. (does that mean every 5mins the clients will check for update from item 1?)Thx

open sepm
    click on clients
    on the righ hand side click on policies tab
    select communication settings you will get an option to change the heart beat.

• 6.  RE: endpoint11.0 liveupdate setting

Posted Jan 19, 2010 10:18 PM

Check this doc

How to configure mobile computers to automatically download virus definitions when disconnected from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Management console

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008040214442248