File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product PGP Desktop

Posted Mar 25, 2014 09:08 AM

Around a year ago, I also had the error message described in https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgp-wde-error-messege-after-encryption .

I've never been able to resolve it, and therefore have not used PGP on my personal desktop computer since then.  I just again searched the Connect forum for a possible resolution, but have not found it.  If anyone has encountered this problem and resolved it, I would appreciate hearing about it.  I believe it started the day after leaving my computer running overnight, and a windows update shutting it down during that night. 

• 2.  RE: Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product PGP Desktop

Posted Mar 25, 2014 09:44 AM

• 3.  RE: Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product PGP Desktop

Posted Mar 25, 2014 10:01 AM

Please corrent me if I'm not interpreting that MS article correctly.  I don't think it applies, in that PGP Desktop had been installed and running correctly for a long time - until that Windows update(s).  Additionally, the PGP Desktop installation has never been from removable media.  Thanks for the response.

• 4.  RE: Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product PGP Desktop
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 25, 2014 10:24 AM

It still sounds like something Windows did is kicking off the msi installer to do something to PGP Desktop, but not being able to locate the PGP Desktop MSI.  Have you tried just re-installing PGP Desktop?

• 5.  RE: Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product PGP Desktop

Posted Mar 25, 2014 10:44 AM

Although it has been a long time since doing so, I have tried fresh reinstallation, but with no positive result. 

• 6.  RE: Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product PGP Desktop

Posted Mar 25, 2014 01:40 PM

Thanks to an email I received on this, I decided to try a new install, and then installing with using the Modify option.  To my great surprise, simply reinstalling took care of the problem, this time.  I greatly appreciate the assistance.