Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Migration User

Migration UserJan 22, 2009 04:44 AM

• 1.  Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 02, 2008 03:03 AM
    I have a drive image from a 250GB disk that was created with Ghost32.exe from Ghost Corporate Edition v8.0 that was run from a BartPE CD. The disk was not full, and the image spans six .GHx files. The original disk went  missing, so I purchased a replacement and tried to restore from the image.

The restore goes to 98 or 99% and quits. The header of the Ghosterr.txt file follows:

Date   : Fri Feb 01 21:11:20 2008
    Error Number: (25058)
    Message: Unable to locate enough contiguous free space to load run.  Increase the destination partition size or run Ghost with -NTC- switch.

Version: 8.0.0.984 (Oct  3 2003, Build=984)
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Command line arguments: -clone,mode=restore,src=e:\ghost\tardis-ii\hd250.gho,dst=3 -NTC-
    I have run Ghost32 from the graphical interface in Windows, from the BartPE CD and from the command line with a text file containing the line following "Command line arguments" above. (The -NTC- switch was on a separate line in the file.)

I have tried restoring to drives of 80, 250 and 300GB, all with the same result. The manual suggests that the drive may not have been defragmented before creating the image. I usually do, but may not have in this case. Anyway, it's a little late for that now. I need to know how I can successfully restore this image to a disk. Besides the older Corporate version, we also have the current GSS with a service agreement, if that is of any help.

Thanks in advance for your help. - Ben

• 2.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 07, 2008 01:18 AM
    Hi Ben,

Could you try using the switch -NTExact ?

This will try to organize the target disk exactly same as source disk.

Krish

• 3.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 07, 2008 07:10 PM
    I tried, but this is the message I got:

Date   : Thu Feb 07 19:04:26 2008
    Error Number: (10100)

I don't find the NTExact switch in the users guide; is it from a newer version than the one I have? I thought the -NTC- switch I was using was supposed to do the same thing as the exact switch's function. Please provide the syntax if you think I did anything wrong.

Thanks.

Ben

• 4.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 08, 2008 12:56 AM
    Hi Ben,

There were many improvements to Ghost since 8.0, which was released in 2003. Since you have the new version, could you try with the new version?

I can't remember when, but looks like we added the -ntexact in a later release.

Krish

• 5.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 08, 2008 10:59 AM
    I will try restoring from a newer Ghost version and let you know how it goes. I understand that the file format/extension changed from version 9 forward. Will the Solution Suite read the .ghx files properly, or will I have to convert them first?

The adventure continues...

Ben

• 6.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 10, 2008 03:22 AM
    Ok, I tried using Ghost v9.0, but it told me that it doesn't support .gho files. There isn't a command line executable that I can find (like Ghost32.exe in the corporate version), so I'm not sure how to proceed. I can use version 8's Ghost Explorer and its version 9 equivalent to browse the image, I just can't restore it to a disk. I even exported it to another disk and then tried to restore from that, but it quit at 99%, as usual.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    Ben

• 7.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 10, 2008 05:25 PM
    Hi Ben,

Looks like what you tried is the consumer version. Ghost Consumer version is a different product based on a entirely different technology (please visit www.ghost.com for a details comparison).

The new version of enterprise version (Symantec Ghost, not Norton Ghost) is GSS 2.x which contains Ghost version 11.x.

If you have an agreement, probably you are eligible for this version. Have you got them already?

Krish

• 8.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Feb 29, 2008 04:20 AM
    I have the same problem as bensil and am very worried that I can not restore my Ghost image anymore. Although I had done this in the past without any problem. I was almost planning to go out to by a larger harddisk, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Would my problem be solved if I upgrade from Ghost 8.0 to the latest version 14.0?

Message Edited by Oscar NL on 02-29-2008 01:21 AM

• 9.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 01, 2008 02:11 AM
    I have purchased Ghost 14. Very enthousiastic about the bootable CD, that brings you immediately to a menu with all kinds of options to restore your computer. However, this all seems to be based on restore points from Windows or Ghost. I have a full image of my  C (programs) drive on a D drive, but Ghost 14 doesn't recognize the Ghost 8.0 image. When I go to restore this computer, it asks for a recovery point. I browse to my D drive and change the file type from recovery points (*.v2i, *.iv2i, *.pqi) to all types. My Norton 8.0 Ghost image nicely shows up, but after double-clicking on the image (*.gho), I get an error message "ED800012: The internal structure of the image file (Header CRC-conrole of frame) is invalid, damaged or not supported" (freely translated from Dutch).

This is so frustrating. I have the latest version of Ghost, I have a valid image file, but still I can not recover my Windows partition. Please help me!:smileysad:

Message Edited by Oscar NL on 02-29-2008 11:12 PM

• 10.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 01, 2008 05:36 PM
    Hi Oscar,

This is part of ongoing confusion between Norton Ghost and Symantec Ghost. Norton Ghost is the Consumer product and Symantec Ghost is the product for business environments.

Norton Ghost is based on BackupExec system recovery cloning engine while Symantec Ghost uses the classic Ghost engine. The last consumer version to use classic Ghost engine was Norton Ghost 2003. After that, all the consumer Ghost products are based on BESR.

You can find the differences of the products if you visit www.ghost.com.

There are couple of posts here explaining the version tree, if I simply state it,

Ghost 8.0, 8.2, 8.3, 11.0, 11.0.1, 11.0.2 and upcoming 11.5 are business version of Ghost and they are backward compatible.

Ghost 9.0, 10.0, 12.0 and 14.0 are based on BESR and they are not compatible with business version of Ghost.

It is my fault too, if I could reply to your previous message you would not have gone through the upgrade.

Krish

• 11.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 02, 2008 07:31 AM
    Dear Krish,

Thank you. Your clarification is clear. I don't mind having purchased Ghost 14, which seems to be a good programme for backups etc. Nevertheless, I first need to restore my image. As before, I start Ghost 8.0 from a recovery disk. From the command prompt, I start ghost with "ghost.exe -ntc-". In the menu, I go to "Local / Disk / From Image" and select the ghost image on my secondary hard drive. This image comes from my primary hard drive of 120GB. The image shows als "old size" 114439" and data size "66717". As before, when restoration is halfway, I get the following message:

Error Number: (25058)
    Message: Unable to locate enough contiguous free space to load run.  Increase the destination partition size or run Ghost with -NTC- switch.

Reading the previous threads, I assume it has to do with the image and possible fragmentation. I therefore purchased a new primary drive with the size of 320GB. I thought there would be more than sufficient space to recover the image. Much to my frustration, however, I receive the same error message???

Is there anything else I can try? Do I start Ghost properly from the command prompt with the -ntc- switch? The menu is still the same after that? Or should I try other settings under the "options" menu? The -ntc- switch is not shown there. What I just can't understand is why I can't seem to restore my Ghost image anymore. I have done this in the past when my children messed up the computer, and it happened without a glitch. I was always up and running again within an hour.

Please help, since installing my primary partition from scratch will take me many days with all the upgrades and added hardware and software.

Oscar

Message Edited by Oscar NL on 03-02-2008 04:33 AM

Message Edited by Oscar NL on 03-02-2008 04:35 AM

Message Edited by Oscar NL on 03-02-2008 04:35 AM

• 12.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 03, 2008 12:13 AM
    Hi Oscar,

The way you start Ghost is correct. If you start it with

Ghost -ntc-

it will use -nct- switch. One other thing you can check is if there is a Ghost.ini file in the startup disk. This is used to store the settings you check with options in Ghost. Though it is unlikely, there could be a conflicting switch in ghost.ini. Trying the operation after renaming the file could be useful.

You say it worked before without a problem. Did it work with the same image? In that case, could you try restoring it to a partition of the same size, instead of increasing it? I'm wondering if the problem is actually destination being larger. I haven't seen this situation with current verisons but at 8.0 time, hard disks used to be smaller.

Let me know what happens.

Krish

• 13.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 03, 2008 01:27 PM
    Hi Krish,

There is no ghost.ini on the floppy drive (neither on the boot disk, nor on the programme disk - disk 2).

I don't think the partition is too large. I started trying to restore the image to the original harddisk. The partition filled the whole harddisk, so no change in size. That did not work.

The only difference from before is that I always restored the image from the windows environment. This is the first time I try to restore the image from a dos bootable disk. I'll try to install a barebones windows and Ghost 8.0 on top of that and then restore the image from Windows. Hope that helps.

Oscar

Message Edited by Oscar NL on 03-03-2008 10:29 AM

• 14.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 05, 2008 12:56 AM
    Hi Oscar,

I am little unclear on this. Do you use Ghost 8 or Ghost 2003? You can't run Ghost 8 from Windows directly, but 2003 can. Could you please confirm?

Krish

• 15.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 05, 2008 01:13 AM
    Gee, look what I started. Oscar, I feel your pain. Krish, thanks for the clarification on the Norton/Symantec product lines. I think the logic behind it is flawed, but at least I understand it better. As an update, I was never able to restore the image that prompted my original post, but luckily I found the missing hard drive that the original image was created from. Of course, in the meantime I purchased another 250GB replacement drive and had mostly finished  creating a new system.

So, while my story has a more or less happy ending, I'm leery of running into the same problem in the future. I will monitor this thread to see if Oscar is able to restore the image.

Good luck.

Ben

• 16.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 05, 2008 02:25 AM
    Dear Krish (and Ben),

I mistakenly said I used Norton Ghost 8.0, this is Norton Ghost 2003.

I have reinstalled Windows XP on my computer. Then installed Norton Ghost 2003 on top of that. Ran Ghost from Windows and did a restore, after which Ghost of course reboots into Dos mode. Surprisingly, the recovery completed, but .....

... while rebooting I get the message that some Windows system files are missing or damaged. Would not seem a problem. I can nicely boot from my new Ghost 14 CD-Rom which has a file explorer. Copied two files from another computer and rebooted. But with the file ntfs.sys no luck. Forst I copied this from another computer, but no difference. Then from the Windows XP installation disk, but no difference. Still the message that the file is missing or damaged.

So another challenge in a row. I think I run out of luck and will still have to reinstall my system from scratch. Unless one of you has a bright idea.

Greetings, Oscar

• 17.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 05, 2008 11:18 AM
    My problem was with Ghost 8.0, but I tried version 9, which didn't work due to the compatibility issues illuminated by Krish. Since I have located the original drive, I can recreate an image file, but it still bothers me that it occurred in the first place. By the way, restoring to different size disks, smaller or larger, produced the same result. I have also used Ghost on drives that weren't defragmented, but never ran into this situation before. I'm still hoping for a resolution before it happens again, which, as we all know, will occur at the worst possible time. Press on.

Ben

• 18.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 06, 2008 12:27 AM
    Hi Oscar,

What was the OS you had in this image? Is it somehting prior to XPSP2?

I just remembered that large disk support (>128GB) was added in XPSP2. If it is a eirlier version, could you try restoring to a smaller partition?

Ghost 2003 (and 8.0) are getting old too :-)

Krish

• 19.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 08, 2008 04:22 AM
    Nope. Unfortunately not. The OS in the ghost image was Windows XP SP2.

Greetings,

Oscar

• 20.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 10, 2008 12:05 AM
    Hi Oscar,

Searching the new shows this could happen due to variety of reasons, including hardware changes. However, I don't think it is hardware related since the following KB article suggests copying it form XP CD. If you have an image of the freshly installed XP, it would be ideal.

Could you try following the steps given in this Microsoft KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800

(I know that you already tried replacing the driver, but in case if there is a difference in this process.)

Krish

• 21.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 10, 2008 07:37 AM
    Hi Krish,

I had also found this solution on the MS supportsite, but no succes. I also read some fora that it might be related to a hardware (memory) issue. Have removed one by one my two 256MB Ram modules, but same message. I have therefore given up and have reinstalled my OS from scratch. The basic functions are running, but will probably take weeks before everything is back to how I like it. Advantages is that my system runs as fast as new, with an additioal 1 GB Ram added.

Once I am satisfied with my system, I will run new backups and images with Norton 14 and hope this will never be necessary again. Thanks for your help.

Greetings,

Oscar

• 22.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 25, 2008 10:31 AM
    i am trying to restore a laptop that i created a 7 part image. i am using the same Norton 12.0 disk that i created the image(on external usb hard drive) with to restore with. the laptop came back from HP with a new proceesor in it(could this be causing the problem)?
    i am getting an ERROR ED800012: the internal structure of the image file (CRC Check) is invalid, damaged or unsupported.
    help help help!
    thanks,
    G

• 23.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Mar 26, 2008 11:03 PM
    Hi 'G',

Since Ghost12 uses a different cloning engine, we are not in a position to help you much. Best place to ask this question is the Backup Exec System Recovery forum, since they use the same engine.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board?board.id=111

Krish

• 24.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted May 12, 2008 01:42 PM
    i know there hasn't been a post to this thread for a couple of months, but it's a place to start for me.  i'm using ghost 2003 to make images and i'm having this problem when trying to restore an image.  i made the image using the -ntc- switch and when trying to restore the image using the switch i get error 25058.  the destination drive is much larger than the source drive (80GB versus 40GB).  i have successfully deployed a different image to the same destination drive, but the one i would like to put on there just doesn't seem to work.  i've verified the image integrity and get no problems.

TIA,
    Kenn

• 25.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Jan 21, 2009 07:57 AM

I've been using Ghost 2003 successfully for a while to backup/restore complete disc images.  I've now got a new PC with a 500GB SATA hard disc and am finding the same problems as other posters on this forum.  I get nearly to the end of the restore only to come across error 25058.  I've tried to defrag and to use the

-ntc- switch, but neither of these has any effect.

In my naivety, I bought the latest and greatest ghost14, only to find, as has been reported here, that it won't do the job I wanted.  Is there any solution - maybe an upgrade of ghost 2003 ?

Thanks in advance

• 26.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Jan 21, 2009 10:49 AM

I never did resolve the issue with Ghost, and I switched to using Acronis which has worked well for us.  There is also a free imaging software that is supposed to be good as well called PING (PartImage Is Not Ghost).

Good Luck!

Kenn

• 27.  RE: Error 25058 (-NTC- switch)

Posted Jan 22, 2009 04:44 AM
    Thanks Kenn.  I'll give PING a try