Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 11:56 AM
    Greetings,

I am having issues with my Ghost Console Server v2.0.1 where every machine in my infrastructure is showing an exclamation point on its icon.  When I try to uninstall the remote client on a machine with an exclamation point on it, I get an error message stating:

(7): Connection: Logon failure. Possible reasons are:
    1. Incorrectly specified password and/or username.
    2. Simple File Sharing is enabled and the client is running on Windows XP.
    3. Incompatible Windows LAN Manager authentication levels between console & client machine.
    Please refer to the Symantec Ghost Manual to change the above mentioned windows settings.

This just started happening after I upgraded from GSS v2.0 to v2.0.1.

Any ideas?  I'm at a standstill here.  I have searched the Implementation Guide (the only "Symantec Ghost Manual" that I know of) and found nothing regarding an error code 7.  Nor is there anything even closely related to GSS 2.0 on Symantec's knowledge base. 

Thanks much for any help provided.  I'm hoping it's something simple.

Cheers, Jack

• 2.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 04:37 PM
    Jack,
    We recently went through a fresh install of the Ghost Suite 1.1, and somehow during the process it appeared to remove our service account in Active Directory. My recomendation would be to make sure that your service account is still in active directory, and has appropriate group membership on the local machines you are trying to remove and or install the client from.

-Joe

Message Edited by Joe Hanner on 05-16-200701:38 PM

• 3.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 05:24 PM
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfrotunately it wasn't that easy, although I was hoping that it would've been.  I found that the Ghost service account is still in our AD.  As far as proper group membership goes, the Ghost service account is in our Domain Users group, which is in the local Users group on each machine in our infrastructure.  Should it be in any other local groups?

Also, as I was going through our list of devices in Ghost, I see that two machines I have pushed the Remote Client to after the 2.0.1 upgrade are NOT showing exclamation points, if that helps anyone with a possible resolution to this problem.

Cheers, Jack

• 4.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 05:28 PM
    The exclamation points indicate the client version is different to the server version. This is a normal situation after a console upgrade. The execution of any console task will automatically upgrade the clients. I normally use a Configuration Refresh task for this purpose.

If you were to say we need to provide better messaging or documentation for this situation - I'd have to agree. I'll add it to the wishlist for the next release.

Thanks,
    Xan

Message Edited by Xan Todd on 05-17-200710:32 AM

• 5.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 05:30 PM
    Hi Xan,

Is the Configuration Refresh Task able to be created for all clients in the infrastructure, or must I go through and perform the task for each client manually?  I'm only asking because this could take days if it's not able to be run on all clients simultaneously.

Thanks, Jack

• 6.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 06:00 PM
    the configuration refresh task can be applied to as many clients as you are comfortable running it on at one time. The configuration refresh is executed in the background and can be executed while your client users are logged on if required.

On most machines under normal load there is not much impact to users. You may wish to verify this with your hardware. If your client hardware is particularly slow or heavily loaded you may wish to schedule this task outside operating hours.

Separately, you may wish to group the number of clients to upgrade at one time based on the capacity of your network. I believe you are looking at about 16 Mb of transfer per client.

Message Edited by Xan Todd on 05-17-200711:04 AM

• 7.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 06:14 PM
    Hi Xan,

Thanks for the information.  I'll run the task on two groups of machines based on the information you've provided.

I'll also post my results when I'm through, although it clearly sounds as this is the resolution. 

Cheers, Jack

• 8.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 06:20 PM
    Regarding the earlier error (7), I'd suggest refresh task execution on a representative test machine to start with. There may yet be a separate authentication issue somewhere in your configuration.

• 9.  RE: Exclamation Points After Upgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.0

Posted May 16, 2007 06:21 PM
    Hi Xan,

Testing on my system first (as always), this resolved the issue and posed as a minimal resource hinderance.

Thanks for the help!  Next time I update the version I'll know to perform this task next.

Cheers, Jack