Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 09:47 AM
    We're running Ghost console on a SBS2003 network where the console, server, is installed on an XP workstation.  We successfully installed the client on another workstation but in trying to run the first backup of this workstation, it fails. In the GhostCast Server window, the message in the lower left corner is "waiting for clients to connect". In the backup event log, "Updating preOS files" is a success but "To Virtual Partition" fails.  I've allowed port 1347, (both TCP and UDP) in the firewall of all workstations.  Any suggestions would be most helpful.  Thanks. Michael

• 2.  RE: Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 10:00 AM

What is the kind of Virtual partition PreOS you have selected for the client machine?

Check if you have added the correct network drivers to the PCDOS or WinPE preOS templates.

Let me know the exact error message by double clicking on the 'To Virtual Partition - Failed' in the event log. Copy that and paste it in your next post.

We could filter on to a solution by that event details..

Also let us know if you use WinPE or PCDOS?

• 3.  RE: Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 10:16 AM
    Thanks for your quick response.  We selected WinPE but it's not installed on any workstation or our SBS server.  Guess we have to now go and install it, correct?  In the event log the detailed error message is "client timed out".

• 4.  RE: Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 11:07 AM

I did not understand your concept of installing WinPE!

But if the error message is 'Client timed out' then please check the link below since this could be of various reasons

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2007092014461960

Please let me know if this resolves your issue

• 5.  RE: Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 11:46 AM
    Hi,

This seems to be a communication issue. Try the following,

1) In the Ghost Console go to to Tools --> Options --> Server Timeout. Check the time allocated for Timeout. The ideal value is 20 minutes. If its low increase it.

2) This issue can also be caused due to lack of updated NIC drivers in the boot package. When the client is in Pre-OS try to ping it from the server. If you are not getting a reply you need to add Vista NIC drivers of the boot package. We are adding Vista drivers because Windows PE is based on Vista.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Prasanna

• 6.  RE: Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 12:45 PM
    When the client is in Pre-OS I am unable to ping the client.  Is there documentation on how to add Vista NIC drivers to the book package?  I'm new to this program and could use some extra help.  Thanks for your continued support.  Michael

• 7.  RE: Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 01:47 PM
    Given below is documentation on how to add drivers to the boot package,

http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/e4c1aea6046866e288257444007f9333?OpenDocument

If you are using WinPE as Pre-OS you can even try PC-DOS and check its workin or not. It can be changed by doing a right click on the client machine and choosing Properties --> Client Tab --> Vitual Partion --> PC-DOS

• 8.  RE: Failed to backup Client from Ghost Console ver. 11.5.1.2266

Posted Aug 03, 2010 05:46 PM
    I think I've got the new boot package figured out with the Vista driver.  It'll take me a few days to get it all done and will let you know how it went.  Thanks very much for your prompt attention, it's much appreciated.  Regards, Michael