IT Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Failure message: program install has failed with Return Code: = -2147024680

Posted May 18, 2017 08:32 AM

I am trying to push a job Office 2013 64bit ("Office 2013 x64\setup.exe" /adminfile "TitanOff201364bitV2.msp")  to upgrade our clients Office.  I have been able to push successfully in the past, but now I am getting this error:

<nobr>Failure message: </nobr> program install has failed with return code = -2147024680

I am not able to find in the KB what the return code means.  The packaged is set to push in the evening while the users are gone.  I have verirified the systems are logged in and locked.  They are failing after 3 minutes.  Has anyone experience this and gotten this error?  If so, what was your solution to reslove this?  I have 3 systems from the group that I am going to test today druing work hours to see if I am getting the same error or if it deploys successfully.   Hopefully it goes through. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks!

• 2.  RE: Failure message: program install has failed with Return Code: = -2147024680
    Best Answer

Posted May 18, 2017 11:19 AM

Often you need to translate these errors in to hex; use the Windows calculator, View > Programmer, 0-2147024680 then select Hex. Knock off the Fs and google 0x800700D8.

Ignore all the "How to Fix 0X800700d8 Errors Follow these steps to repair 0X800700d8. 0X800700d8 errors can be caused by misconfigured system files in your computers." scammers Google so loves promoting and you'll find:

"This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information and then contact the software publisher."

For future reference I then go to my ITMS console > Settings > All Settings > Software > Software Catalog and Software Library Settings > "Installation Error code descriptions" and add it in there. Put the 0x800700D8 in the description and it will come up in a search next time.

There should be an error log in c:\windows\temp too.

My guess is that you're trying to install it on 32 bit windows.

• 3.  RE: Failure message: program install has failed with Return Code: = -2147024680

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 19, 2017 07:44 AM

@Andykn101 - Some really helpful information in your post. I wasn't aware of that conversion and it'll definitely help in future, thanks.

@Velezm75 - I believe most installations of Office 2013 are 32bit because Microsoft recommends this version. See here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx.
    Are you aware if this is the case in your environment? It'd be worth checking if the error is being generated because you're trying to install something for a 64bit version of office and the installed version is 32bit. 

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Failure message: program install has failed with Return Code: = -2147024680

Posted May 23, 2017 10:39 AM

After looking at the logs, It was the compatiblity issue with 32bit.  I pushed my 32bit package and they were successfully updated. 

Thank you Andykn101, I will try the converison to better find solutions pertaining to the Return Codes.  Adding the Return code to the list for future tracking.

Thanks Sam for the technet article.  I was aware of it, but thought the systems were 64bit. Need to double check in the future the OSs before deploying the packages.

Thanks again Andykn101 and Sam.

• 5.  RE: Failure message: program install has failed with Return Code: = -2147024680

Posted May 23, 2017 12:39 PM

You can create two packages, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. Use the Applicability Rules so that each one is only applicable to the correct OS type.

Then create a Managed Software Delivery Policy with both Packages in and make sure you go in to the Advanced properties of at least the first one and select On error - continue.

Then apply the policy to all the machines and the correct pacakge will get installed.