Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Financial accounting program crashing on XP with 11.0.5x

Posted Dec 29, 2009 09:39 AM
    We've been testing the newest SEP version 11.0.5002.333 (currently we use 11.0.4202.75) and have found an issue, that on XP clients we cant launch our custom financial program after upgrading SEP. Program is crashing with "failed to initialize" error. This happens only on XP machines (Vista is ok). We are waiting for this program providers to investigate this issue, but i wanted to collect more information for them and maybe get some insights on how to find the cause of this.

The program is accessed via share on a remote server with a shortcut to executable file. As far as i know this program is built with Borland Builder and there are also some DLLs in the same folder. It makes a ODBC connection to a Sybase database on the same server. I've been told, that maybe this is related to the old ODBC drivers. But i'm not sure about this. I dont have ODBC drivers installed and if i try to run this program on my PC with SEP 11.0.4 i'm getting ODBC error (program launches, i see some GUI and error message), but with 11.0.5 i dont get such error or see any of a GUI, it just throws "failed to initialize" error. So i doubt this is related to ODBC drivers.

Any ideas? What changes in the newest SEP version can cause such issue?

• 2.  RE: Financial accounting program crashing on XP with 11.0.5x

Posted Dec 29, 2009 09:47 AM
    Have you installed the NTP feature on these machines?. If yes then uninstall the NTP feature from the add/remove program on one machine only and restart the machine. In case it works fine then you can create a Customized package from the SEPM without the NTP feature and deploy it to the desired group of clients.

• 3.  RE: Financial accounting program crashing on XP with 11.0.5x

Posted Dec 29, 2009 10:43 AM
    Do you have any Application and Device Control policy Enabled?

Also is your appication using power builder or sybase???

• 4.  RE: Financial accounting program crashing on XP with 11.0.5x

Posted Dec 31, 2009 06:00 AM
    I have tried to install SEP without NTP and the program is working. But this is not an option. We already had to throw away NTP on one of our servers, because it was causing problems with Remote Desktop Connections on Hyper-V server. But we dont want to have a number of custom installations for the clients. Also we will need NTP for our VPN setup. Not saying that we are paying for the whole product. Maybe Symantec should get rid of NTP and cut the price then?

I have tried to add this share folder or a launching file as centralized exception. This doesnt help.

Yes. Application and Device Control policy is enabled and it is blocking teamviewer app. It was enabled with older SEP version too.

Yes. This application is using sybase database.

• 5.  RE: Financial accounting program crashing on XP with 11.0.5x
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 31, 2009 06:06 AM
    Symantec is aware of this issue and working on it.

The work around that we have at this point  is Revert back to MR4MP2 if you want to use application and device control

and if you want to use RU5 then Remove application and device control.

• 6.  RE: Financial accounting program crashing on XP with 11.0.5x

Posted Jan 04, 2010 04:40 AM
    Thanks, Prachand. Indeed it was Application and Device control policy causing this. We will disable it so far aas we can block teamviewer with other tools.