Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Floppy Boot Disk for Dell 790 using Ghost 8.00.984

Posted Jul 05, 2011 11:47 AM

I am having problems making a floppy boot disk for our new Dell Computer, Optiplex 790 which will have XP on them.  I got the DOS driver from intel's site and made a network boot Disk using the wizard.  The PC boots and seems to be working but then freezes right before it binds.  Not for sure what is going on.  Upgrading to the new verson of ghost is not an option at this time. 

• 2.  RE: Floppy Boot Disk for Dell 790 using Ghost 8.00.984

Posted Jul 05, 2011 04:38 PM

Have you tried www.netbootdisk.com ? See if their approach and driver collection works for your hardware.

Alternatively, why not set up your own WinPE boot environment and try using your V8 version of Ghost in that, instead of using PCDOS. You can do this using the following article: Adventures with WinPE Symantec Connect

• 3.  RE: Floppy Boot Disk for Dell 790 using Ghost 8.00.984

Posted Jul 06, 2011 10:20 AM

Upgrading to a different version of Ghost is not an option.  I have tried that site,netbootdisk, and was able to get the disk to work on my older systems but it does not have the driver that I need, Intel 82579LM.  It does show how to added it, but the instructions to do it was pretty vague. 

• 4.  RE: Floppy Boot Disk for Dell 790 using Ghost 8.00.984

Posted Jul 06, 2011 11:07 AM

So try the WinPE approach as I mentioned above, and use your existing V8 version of Ghost with it, as you would currently with a DOS boot.  If you search on "82579" in this forum, you will see a lot of recent postings from users who have found this chipset a particular challenge to get a connection with.  It is achievable with WinPE...

• 5.  RE: Floppy Boot Disk for Dell 790 using Ghost 8.00.984

Posted Jul 06, 2011 12:49 PM

I will give that I try and will see how it works.