Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  Freeze after upgrading DLP Agent to 14.6 GA

Posted Sep 10, 2017 06:40 AM

Hi All,

I spent almost two weeks spinning around and I still can't find a solution. Let me explain what exactly is going on right now.

So I have few thousand workstations with Windows 7, on this machines end user are using JAVA based application. Previously, when we were using DLP Agent in 12.5 everything was just ok once we switched to 14.6 GA strange things started to happen.In case of above machines when the end user is launching application whole Windows system freezes totally.

The only way to restore Windows to life is turned off and turn on the machine with the power button. When this issue is visible there is no warning message, no error message or BSOD it just freezes.

This issue is only visible for a specific group of the user which is using mentioned JAVA based application. Let me tell you what I have done so far:

1. I checked agent configuration looks the same like on machines when this problem doesn't exist

2. I checked Java based application logs and I found that when this issue appears there is one error message - Java.net.Socket.Excpetion (no other info like connection errors etc.) 

3. On agent side, there is no crash dumps etc, just nothing

4. I ran a simple test and I took one machine which is affected by this issue and I disable all detection channels on agent side and issue was gone. However, I also enable them one by one to find out which one is causing this strange behavior but still no luck no matter which one I enable first it could be Printer/Fax issue or CD/DVD issue is back again.

5. I tried to generate Windows memory dump ( I found few technical documents in Symantec KB how to set it up ) but because Windows is freezing memory dumps are not being generated.

6. DLP Agent version is the same like Enforce and EPS server version.

I have support case in Symantec support but they suggested to check if the issue is also visible in case of DLP Agent 14.6 MP2. I didn't check it yet and I am going to do but what in case if the issue will still be reproducible? That's why I am writing here maybe someone else on this forum had the same problem and find a way how to solve it?  It's very strange really because I am using the same configuration for DLP Agent like in case 12.5 agent which was installed in the environment previously ( additionally when I roll back DLP Agent on end user machine to 12.5 issue is also gone).

Really thank you all for help in this case I hope that someone will be able to give me a hint or advise how to solve it finally.

• 2.  RE: Freeze after upgrading DLP Agent to 14.6 GA

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 11, 2017 02:48 PM

Rafiq,

Do you have Application File Access (AFAC) truned on? (Application Monitoring?

If so I would try to se if the Java Application is registered, and possibly create a profile so that it is not inspected. 

Register the java executable and then uncheck everything. This will exclude the application from being monitored.

Good Luck

Ronak

Please marked solved when possible.

• 3.  RE: Freeze after upgrading DLP Agent to 14.6 GA

Posted Oct 03, 2017 03:23 AM

Issue is solved with 14.6 MP2 DLP Agent installation.