Virtual Secure Web Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  FTP 220 Message

Posted Oct 02, 2012 02:25 AM

Hi everybody,

I configure Symantec Web Gateway in proxy mode, I also configure ftp proxy....

Now when i try to access some FTP side using ftp proxy I found "FTP 220 Message" error message in log and ftp side did not open.

Kindly guide me toward solution.

Best regards

Ishaq

• 2.  RE: FTP 220 Message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2012 11:59 AM

If you are accessing the FTP site through a web browser, you need to use the HTTP proxy for that.

The FTP proxy requests to the Web Gateway have to have a specific pattern that only some FTP clients support. Please see our documentation of this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169665

• 3.  RE: FTP 220 Message

Posted Oct 02, 2012 01:11 PM

dear TSE-JDavis,

Thanks for your valuable comment and suggestion, I already do through this technote but it did not resolve my issue. I also open support ticket and engineer take webex session but did not find any solution.

Best regards

Ishaq

• 4.  RE: FTP 220 Message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2012 01:33 PM

Can you explain exactly what you did? Did you use the workaround of using the HTTP poroxy for FTP? Or did you download an FTP client and use the correct authentication pattern?

• 5.  RE: FTP 220 Message

Posted Oct 02, 2012 02:26 PM

Yes!! i try to use http proxy for ftp request but did not access! I also use FTP proxy for ftp but the same result. I also try to access ftp using ftp client & also using cmd prompt but did not work!.

When i configure ftp proxy in my browser i found "ftp 220 message" in request url logs! in few case I also found the hostname contina IP address of SWG appliance (not understanable for me).

• 6.  RE: FTP 220 Message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2012 03:42 PM

I would suggest performing a packet capture on the client when using the HTTP proxy for FTP in your browser so we have a clear idea where the communication is breaking down.

• 7.  RE: FTP 220 Message

Posted Oct 07, 2012 01:59 PM

Dear TSE-JDavis,

I install FoxyProxy standard add-on and that resolve my issue, but only for such FTP server with does not required username & password.

When I try to Access a ftp server which one is need a username and password SWG did not open that.

One more query is it possible that we by pass some specific IP request in Symantec Web Gateway?? remember i configure SWG in Proxy blocking mode....

Best regards

Ishaq

• 8.  RE: FTP 220 Message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2012 11:46 AM

Yes, you would bypass the sites with your .PAC file. You need to provide a username, so if you want to access an FTP server anonymously you need to use the username anonymous and the password is your email address.