Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Getting Error 29088 "Not Enough Disk Space on Destination Drive"

Posted Oct 20, 2006 11:25 AM
    I am using GSS 1.1.The machine I am using for the server is a Nobilis PC which has Win 2003 standard server and the GSS installed on an 80GBIDE. I have installed 2 500GB SATA disk drives in the PC as well. I can see all drives through windows with no issues.

I used Ghost Boot Wizard with the Drive Mapping Boot Package option to create a bootable USB Flash drive. I am using the PCDOS option with the flash drive and have mapped a drive to a shared location on one of the 500GB drives..

The PC that I am creating an image of is a IBM ThinkCentre Dual Core Pentium with XP OS. It has an 80GB SATA drive in it as well. When I boot the PC off the USB Flash Drive it connects to the network and to the mapped drive just fine. I start Ghost and choose to create a disk image on the server and it starts the process with no issues. When it gets to a random location it gives the error message " Not Enough Disk Space on Destination Drive " or Spanning not supported on destination drive.

I have tried numerous things. I have looked at my disks on the server they are configured for Basic disks, no spanning.

One other interesting note, I believe it has something to do with the PCDOS limitations. When I boot from the flash drive and do a DIR search it shows the available space on the disk as being around 2 GB. When I boot the PC in windows and do the same DIR I get the actual 498GB that I should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Getting Error 29088 "Not Enough Disk Space on Destination Drive"

Posted Oct 23, 2006 03:23 PM
    Are you sure you're not mistakenly trying to save the image onto your USB flash drive?

• 3.  RE: Getting Error 29088 "Not Enough Disk Space on Destination Drive"

Posted Dec 22, 2006 12:36 PM
    did you ever solve this issue? I have been fighting with the same problem all morning? thanks,
    -matt

• 4.  RE: Getting Error 29088 "Not Enough Disk Space on Destination Drive"

Posted Dec 28, 2006 06:45 PM
    What I suspect is going on here is some shenanigans in the network redirector code in PCDOS. As Bob noticed, regular DOS tends to cap out at 2Gb in terms of the free space reported for shared network volumes, and it also cannot create individual files larger than 2Gb. In terms of the mapped network drives, the network protocols were extended over the years to support larger volumes, but the network redirectors in PC-DOS and MS-DOS can never report more than 2Gb anything because the core OS code is limited to 32-bit arithmetic.

What's not clear is exactly what's going wrong; the MS-DOS and PC-DOS network redirectors are different, and so it's good to try both kinds of boot OS if you can. Another possibility to try is to force the spanning process to split the image into smaller chunks (say, at about 1.5Gb) using the "-split" switch, to avoid any size-arithmetic problems in the network redirector that might occur close to the 2Gb boundary.

If one of these things helps (or if none of them do) then do please let us know, or any suggestions as to how we can try and get this error to happen for us in the lab.Message was edited by:
    Nigel Bree

Update: I just saw the other thread http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=70242&tstart=0 and if this is only happening on certain machines, it's quite possibly our old friend the IRQ conflict. I'll follow up there.