Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost 11.5.1 hangs at "Checking NTFS Volume"

Posted Aug 12, 2011 08:21 AM

Trying to create an image from a machine in exactly the same way as I have done for many years but on this new motherboard Ghost is hanging at "Checking NTFS Volume".

The motherboard is an Intel DG41WV with a Seagate ST3500413AS hard disk. Using Ghost 11.5.1 from my Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 pack. I have run LiveUpdate but it says there are no updates available.

I have tried the following command-line switches: -NTIC -NTIL -NOUSB -NO1394 -FNI

Pressing CTRL+C is ineffective, it appears Ghost is frozen.

Any suggestions please?

• 2.  RE: Ghost 11.5.1 hangs at "Checking NTFS Volume"
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2011 02:22 PM

DOS boot or WinPE boot?  If DOS, try setting the bios so that the hard disk emulation is set to emulate the old ATA interface as DOS does not understand SATA hard disks.  If WinPE, you may need to add the hard disk chipset driver for your motherboard so that the hard disk can be accessed. GSS needs Vista 32 bit drivers regardless of the operating system you are imaging as that is the version required by WinPE.

• 3.  RE: Ghost 11.5.1 hangs at "Checking NTFS Volume"

Posted Aug 15, 2011 04:01 AM

I'm using a DOS boot.  I've set the BIOS disk access mode to Legacy and it is now successfully dumping out the image.  I've not had problems with SATA drives since upgrading from version 7.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

• 4.  RE: Ghost 11.5.1 hangs at "Checking NTFS Volume"

Posted Aug 15, 2011 07:09 AM

If I recall correctly, no all bioses still include a legacy mode for SATA hard disks, so if you get some spare time, it may be worth exploring the WinPE alternative so you will be ready for any future hardware that just does not work with a DOS boot.