Ghost Error 19913

Migration User

Migration UserAug 15, 2007 07:19 AM

Migration User

Migration UserAug 15, 2007 01:57 PM

• 1.  Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 19, 2007 08:00 PM
    All,

While ghosting a Lat D630, system hangs after it runs the ghost.exe.

Any help is appreciated!

This is the error message:

Date   : Thu Jul  5 12:21:58 2007
    Error Number: (19913)
     Can't find DHCP server

Possible network setup problem

Version: 7.50 (Dec  1 2001, Build=335)
    Command line arguments:
    Active Switches :
          No Switches specified in options panel or ghost.ini
    ProgMode            : no progmode
    PathName            :
    DumpFile            :
    DumpPos             : 0
    File64 buffersize   : 0
    FlagImplode         : 0
    FlagExplode         : 0

Mouse IRQ Status    : Not in IRQ(0)
    Program Call Stack
    main
    sub_main
    AttemptOperation
    MCastInitalise
    Generic_Abort

Call frame traceback EIPs:
     0x00185348
     0x0002c8b0
     0x0002bff0
     0x0002babe
     0x0002d059
     0x000c5b00
     0x000749c3
     0x00002346
     0x00004765
     0x00003979
     0x001be152

Start heap available: 2141650944
    Cur   heap available: 2141454336
    Total Memory:         2144862208

Conventional Memory
    Allocated
     33504 ghost.cpp:784
    Free
      1024 DpmiDjgpp.cpp:49

Fat details:

NTFS details:
    ----------------

NTFS Global Flags:
    ----------------
     contiguousWrite=1 forceDiskClusterMapping=0
     inhibitCHKDSK=1 ignoreBadLog=0 ignoreCHKDSKBit=0
     enable_cache=0 xfrbuflen=0
     last_attr_type = 0
    ----------------

Disk Info :
     remote.............0
     drive..............80
     sectors_used.......156296322
     estimated_used.....0
     pemax..............2
     Version............0

# Ord Boot Id Ext First    Num      Last     Used     NTFS
     0   0    0 de No  00000063 00144522 00144585 00000000 No
     1   1   80 7  No  00144585 156151800 156296385 00000000 No

Disk Info :
     remote.............0
     drive..............0
     sectors_used.......0
     estimated_used.....0
     pemax..............0
     Version............0

# Ord Boot Id Ext First    Num      Last     Used     NTFS

Drive 128 ST980825AS             5MH0ES99

Int 13h
    Total Sectors     16450560
    Bytes per Sector  512
    MB                8032
    Cylinders         1024
    Heads             255
    Sectors per Track 63

Extended Int 13h (Active)
    Total Sectors     156301488
    Bytes per Sector  512
    MB                76319

IDE using PIO
    Total Sectors     156301488
    Bytes per Sector  512
    MB                76319
    Cylinders         16383
    Heads             16
    Sectors per Track 63

Remote Drives
    AsyncIo : 0

• 2.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 23, 2007 02:46 AM
    Hi,

I think you are running Ghost using a CD or a boot disk. Most likely issue is a wrong network driver. One of the first things Ghost try to do with the network is to acquire DHCP address.

Did you check if the DOS driver is correct for the machine, or if there is an update available?

Krish

• 3.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 24, 2007 05:58 PM
    Hi Krish,

It is the correct driver for the Broadcom B57 and I've also checked on Dell's and Broadcom for updated drivers and I am using the most recent version. Can you think of any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 26, 2007 02:14 AM
    Hi,

Did you managed to clone this successfully before?

It is difficult to rule out a possible hardware incompatibility here, since 7.5 is almost 6 years old now. However, since it is certainly failing at network, I still suspect something to do with the driver. I have seen some of the earlier versions of BC network card not working with the recent B57.

How old is the notebook? Is it possible to try with an earlier versions of the driver, released around the same time as the machine?

Krish

Message Edited by Krish Jayaratne on 07-26-200707:15 PM

• 5.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 26, 2007 06:20 PM
    Hi krish,

I have been able to ghost with previous model the D620. The D630 has replaced the old 620 but have the same nic. I even went and tried earlier versions for the B57.

• 6.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 27, 2007 02:28 AM
    Hi Alvin,

You seem to have gone through everything already. Now I can't think of what else to be done, except trying with different options in the protocol.ini.

Before we go there, I would like to find out if anyone had successfully used this model with a any version of Ghost to rule out driver incompatibility.

Has any one managed to use Dell Latitude 630 with newest BC57.dos driver?

Krish

• 7.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 27, 2007 11:53 AM
    Like Alvin, we have pretty much the same setup and are getting the same error.  Updated driver and all.

--Josh

• 8.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Jul 30, 2007 04:31 AM
    Hi Josh,

What version of Ghost do you use?

If it 8.2 or later, have you tried UNDI driver?

Krish

• 9.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 07, 2007 03:40 PM
    I'm having the same issue with the D630s.  We use 3COM PXE services to network boot the machines.  It gets to the Ghost menu screen, and we choose the Broadcom template since that's what in the D630 laptops.  Just after that, it gets to the part where PC DOS starts, and just hangs forever.

This exact thing has happened before when a new model DELL arrived, and all I needed to do was go to DELL's website, and download the latest NDIS2 drivers for that model, and upload it to the Broadcom.sys template in the 3COM boot editor.  Well, I already updated B57.dos with the latest download from DELL, and restarted the PXE services, but it's still hanging at the same spot.

Like Josh, I'm at Ghost version 8.0.0.94.  Thanks for any further advice.

• 10.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 08, 2007 03:54 AM
    Hi Wilson,

You may be facing a slightly different problem than the others, since it fails to boot from PXE.

Could you open the boot image using 3COm image editor, go to properties and change the settings for "KEEP BASE CODE"?

Krish

• 11.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 08, 2007 10:37 AM
    Thanks for the reply Krish.  I made the adjustment that you suggested, and here is what I'm getting now.

--------------------------------------------------------
    IBM Protocol Manager Version 2.0
    Broadcom Ethernet DOS NDIS Driver v10.03 (061215)
    Device Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Etherenet, MAC Address xxxxxxxxxx
    LineSpeed 1000Mbps, Full Duplex, IRQ - 10, Busnum - 9, Devnum - 0

NTSTS: Initialization started
    NTS00`0:  There is no section in PROTOCOL.ini with DriverName equal to NTSTS$. or to NTSTSn$, n = 2, ...., 9.
    NTSTS: Initialization failed.
    Copyright IBM
    Copyright Microsoft
    No NETBEUI section found in configuration information

IBN Netbind Version 2.1

NET5741: The protocol manager was unable to bind.

For more information, type NET HELP 5741
    The REQUESTER service is not started.

-----------------------------------

Thanks for any further input.

• 12.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 09, 2007 12:04 AM
    Hi Wilson,

This looks like an error in Protocol.ini. Did you edit the file?

Could you post the file if you are not sure if it is edited?

Krish

• 13.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 09, 2007 03:13 PM
    Krish, the Protocol.ini file is *exactly* the way I downloaded it from DELL's website.  Here is the content:

; Protocol.ini section for the Broadcom Ethernet NDIS2
    [B57]
       DriverName = "B57$"

; BusNum from 0 to 255
    ;    BusNum =

; DevNum from 0 to 31
    ;    DevNum =

; PortNum or FuncNum from 0 to 7
    ;    PortNum =
    ;    FuncNum =

; LinSpeed can be set to 10 or 100
    ;    LineSpeed =

; Duplex can be set to half or full. LineSpeed is required when this keyword is used.
    ;    Duplex =

; NodeAddress specifies the network address used.
    ;    NodeAddress =

; FixCheckSumOff turns off the driver's work-around for the TCP/IP stack to recognize
    ; the 1's complimented version of the checksum.
    ; FixCheckSumOff

;AcceptAllMC informs the driver to deliver ALL Multicast packets to the upper Protocol.
    ;AcceptAllMC

;
    ; To add more adapter(up to 4) repeat the below entry, where n can be from 2 to 4.
    ;

;[B57_n]
    ;    DriverName = "B57n$"
    ;    BusNum =
    ;    DevNum =
    ;    PortNum =
    ;    FuncNum =
    ;    LineSpeed =
    ;    Duplex =
    ;    NodeAddress =
    ;    FixCheckSumOff
    ;    AcceptAllMC

Thanks for your help.

• 14.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 10, 2007 10:27 AM
    Krish,

One more piece of info that may help.  I made a Ghost Network Disk (2 floppies) with this same NDIS2 driver, and I can indeed connect to a Ghost server session and push/pull images without any problems.

Not sure why the same driver works on floppy disk, but hangs up when I try to use the 3COM PXE boot service...I'd obviously rather use the PXE service, because it's easier than dragging floppies around (and some of my workstations don't even have floppies anymore).

• 15.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 11, 2007 07:56 PM
    Hi Wilson,

The protocol.ini posted does contain some of the required entries. All the lines starts with semicolon are treated as comments, so it only has the driver name section.

Could you add the following sections to it?

[protman]
    drivername=PROTMAN$

[pktdrv]
    drivername=PKTDRV$
    bindings=B57
    intvec=0x60
    chainvec=0x66

Then you leave the rest as it is, only important part from existing driver is,

[B57]
    drivername=B57$

I just had a look at 8.0 templates. There is no BC57 template, but there is a BC44 template. It is pretty much the same except for the driver name.

One other easy way to do this is to make a copy of broadcom 44xx driver and copy bc57.dos driver to it. Then you can edit the protocol.ini to use the new driver. Only change you need to do is to change the line
    drivername=B44$
    to
    drivername=B57$

I tried this with a Dell 745 here, which uses the same network card and seems to work fine. intvec and chainvec parameters are not too important either, since the default are the same.

I am not sure how the same driver worked with the floppy, since protocol.ini was not complete. Could you see if the protocol.ini in the floppy is exactly same as one in PXE?

There are situations where floppy works but not PXE. Some times there are memory related issues in PXE since it emulates a drive in memory or the network setup is differnet. However, I do not believe that you are experiencing anything in that area. Yes, PXE is much more convenient than floppy and we use it a lot for testing too.

Krish

• 16.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 14, 2007 09:33 AM
    Krish,

I made your suggested change to the protocol.ini, but it still is not working.  I'm getting the same error that I posted in the 11th post of this thread.

(Incidentally, the protocol.ini on the floppy was almost identical to the syntax you posted here.  When I created that Network floppy, it must have added the lines you suggested to the protocol.ini on the floppy.  I made an exact copy of that file, and put it in the broadcom.sys template on the 3COM server, but alas it still isn't working)

Thanks for the tip...I feel like I'm getting closer.  Not sure why it works on floppy, but the same driver/protocol.ini isn't working on PXE.

Chris

• 17.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 14, 2007 02:09 PM
    Hello - We are also having trouble with Dell 630s.

It sounds like we are having the exact same issue.  I just downloaded the lastest Broadcom driver and put it on our boot floopy.

We are getting a hang at the Loading... screen as well.

Apart from that, all other items in the Autoexec look to be loading properly.  Please advise.  Thank you.

• 18.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 14, 2007 11:22 PM
    Hi Krish,

Looks as if enough people are hafving this problem now. Would you give us the next steps for modifying the protocol.ini?

Thanks

• 19.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 15, 2007 03:13 AM
    Hi All,

I think each of you have a different problem (and 3 different versions of Ghost) :-)

1. In case of Chris, floppy works but not PXE boot. I am now suspecting a corruption in the sys file also. I can't think of a reason for it to look for NTSTS$ driver. Would you be able to create a new .sys file using the updated driver and use it from 3Com server? In the properties of the .sys file, what are the current settings for 'Keep UNDI' and 'Keep Base' ?

2. In Alvin's case, there are no errors (I believe) when loading the drivers, but Ghost fail to get a DHCP address. Could you confirm that? Could you check if the LEDs of the NIC port are on (or flashing) to see if the driver actually initialized the network card?

3.In Jayw's case, there are no network errors but loading Ghost hangs. What version of Ghost do you use? There are differences in the way of handling other devices such as USB ports in different versions of Ghost.

Krish

• 20.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 15, 2007 07:19 AM
    We are using version 7.5 of ghost.  Can you help?

• 21.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 15, 2007 08:22 AM
    Here is a bit more info... I just attempted to load ghost from a completely stripped down DOS boot.  No drivers or programs loaded at startup.  It still hung. 

• 22.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 15, 2007 01:57 PM
    Krish,

The link lights are active.

Thanks,

Alvin

• 23.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 15, 2007 03:54 PM
    Krish,

Thanks for all of your advice.  I have to admit I don't know how to create a "fresh" .sys file.  The one that I'm working with, I copied the original broadcom.sys file to a new name, and then edited the new one to include the latest B57.dos and updated protocol.ini.  Perhaps that's part of my problem, but that editing method has worked in the past when new Broadcom NICs started arriving at the door.

How does one go about creating a fresh .sys file for the 3COM services?

Thanks again.
    Chris

• 24.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 16, 2007 03:50 AM
    Hi,

Creating the 3Com file is very straight forward.

Select the 'TCP/IP Boot Image' from Ghost Boot Wizard and follow the steps - it will create a .sys file. Process is as same as creating a floppy.

Alvin, I am not sure what the reason is now. I'm begining to think that it could be a compatibility issue. However, could you try booting the machine and run Ghost after couple of miniutes if you haven't done it already? In case if the network driver is not fully initialized when Ghost starts?
    One other option is trying a Static IP address - however this is a long shot since unable to get DHCP means that the network is not operational.

I can faintly remember an issue with Ghost 7.5 and Intel 865 chipsets at that time. But in that case Ghost should hang rather than complaining about DHCP.

Krish

• 25.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Aug 20, 2007 11:12 AM
    Good Afternoon All,

Im also having issue with the D630 and Ghost 7.5.  I can create an image by using the -FNI which, but the problem occurs when i come to using a ghost cast server to restore the image.

I believe that there is an issue with SATA and the chipset on the D630 which isnt fully compatiable with Ghost 7.5.  Now im sure people would tell me just to update to a newer version....but unfortuantly this is not currently an option for us.

I have heard that there is a patch for Ghost 7.5 to fix the SATA and Chipset issues...can anyone confirm this?  Or has anyone actually managed to get the D630 working correctly?

Thankyou!

• 26.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Sep 04, 2007 10:46 PM
    I think I have a similar problem with a Dell D630.  I have been using GSS for a couple of years and am currently on version 2.0.  I have been connecting to the ghost server using PXE and a drive mapping to a windows share, then running ghost.  So far, with the D630, I have not been able to get as far as mapping the drive, so have not been able to run ghost yet.

I get an error after using a clean Drive Mapping Boot Package with the Ghost Boot Wizard, setting the Keep Base Code in Memory = Yes, and updating the B57.DOS to 10.03 within the image.
    After booting and loading the drivers it says:
    The REQUESTER service is not started.
    Is it OK to start it? (Y/N) [Y]
    after hitting Y it fails to map the drive and goes to the dos prompt.

I can make a Network Boot Package and connect ok to a Ghostcast session over IP, but I can't make a drive mapping package work.
    Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?  

• 27.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Sep 05, 2007 04:50 AM
    Well i gave up and moved from version 7.5 of ghost to GSS 2.0.1, thinking that this was going to solve all my problems!  The new Dell D630 laptop has a chipset / sata combination which is not compatiable which the old 7.5 version of ghost.

I have now moved to the new version (So that we can get symantec support) and hit another problem.  I could PXE boot, obtain an IP address and then load ghost.  The problem happened when ghost tried and acquire an IP address....which it failed miserably on and failed to find a DHCP server?  Bizarre since before ghost boots up it had one.

Anyway...to cut a long story short i ended up using Barts Boot Disk (amazing tool) with the updated B57 drivers.  I then converted this into a 3Com Virtual Boot Disk which allowed me to up the boot disk size to 16Mb.  This way i no longer need to connect to a network share to run ghost, instead ghost is included in the boot disk!

Currently all seems well...although i have only produced this in a test environment...it will be interesting to see how well it work in production! :smileyindifferent:

• 28.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Sep 06, 2007 12:47 AM
    Unfortunatly I use ghost by connecting to a share and ghosting to/from the share directly, so being able to run the ghost executable is not sufficient for me.

• 29.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Sep 06, 2007 12:59 AM
    Hi Peter,

Do you get this error (REQEUESTER NOT STARTED) only in Dell 630? Does the same image work well in other machines?

Have you tried booting 630 from a floppy disk (USB Floppy or similar)?

One of the common issue with PXE boot is not having enough DOS memory. Though the new machines may have gigs of memory, all of it may not be exposed to DOS. Since PXE uses a RAM disk, depending on size of it there may not be enough memory to load all necessary modules.

Krish

• 30.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Sep 06, 2007 10:28 PM
    Fixed it now.

Yes it was running out of memory.  I have aquired EMM386.EXE for PCDOS and am now running that with the noems switch and loading all drivers high.  This is not possible using the Ghost boot package builder, so maybe Symantec should look at including EMM386.EXE in future releases.
    I have only started running out of DOS memory since setting 'Keep Base Code: Yes' on the PXE image.  This has only been necessary since getting a Dell D630.

• 31.  RE: Ghost Error 19913

Posted Sep 07, 2007 04:12 AM
    This thread is getting longer, and many different problems are discussed. If you have related issues, please start a new thread.