Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Posted Apr 04, 2012 03:11 AM

Hi!

I have recently installed Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and also configured Oracle Database 11g-R1. Now I want to create a backup/ghost at this stage.

Please help me how to proceed because I have never did it before.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Ghost for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Posted Apr 04, 2012 09:08 AM

Hi Uzairpk,

This forum focuses on Storage Foundation for Windows.  You might have better luck with this question in the Endpoint Management Forum - Ghost Solutions Suite.

Thank you,

Wally

• 3.  RE: Ghost for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Posted Apr 05, 2012 05:41 AM

What version of Ghost do you have?

• 4.  RE: Ghost for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Posted Apr 09, 2012 11:09 AM

If you decide to create a backup the database should be stoped for it.

• 5.  RE: Ghost for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Posted Apr 09, 2012 12:37 PM

You will need to make a cold image of the server.   I don't believe you can hot image a server os with ghost.   I know that with client os's you can run the ghost32.exe and it will work but with a server this is another story.  Because it is a cold image the server will be shut down durring the image creation so Mac's point is valid but won't matter because the server will be shut off first.  

There are better server back up programs out there if you need to take hot images and especially the database needs to be saved.    May I recomend Backup Exec System Recovery for the job as it can take live images and can deal with databases.  (not sure specificaly with Oracle Database 11g-R1, so you should call and ask for a pre-sales technical support case so you can talk to tech support before you buy)

cheers,

• 6.  RE: Ghost for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Posted Apr 10, 2012 05:48 AM

You only can create a cold Image (or regular Ghost Image) from a Server OS with Ghost because Ghost only supports this task for a Server OS.
    As ICHB already mentioned BESR is a better solution from Symantec to perform a task like this.
    No issues to create an Image from a Win2003 server with an image creation task from Ghost.