Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost Suite 2.5 - Unable to boot PXE on Dell E5410

Posted Apr 13, 2011 02:37 PM

We are having an issue booting with PXE on the Dell E5410 and E6410. The image shows where we are getting hung during the boot process. The client makes a connection to the server and gets the file but never makes it past this screen:

• 2.  RE: Ghost Suite 2.5 - Unable to boot PXE on Dell E5410

Posted Apr 14, 2011 04:36 AM

You are booting to PCDOS which has no SATA support. Your DELL machines have SATA hard disks.

Assuming you have successfully imaged these in the past from a PCDOS boot, there must be a bios setting for hard disk "compatibility mode" that is not set on these machines, preventing PCDOS from seeing the HD.

• 3.  RE: Ghost Suite 2.5 - Unable to boot PXE on Dell E5410

Posted Apr 14, 2011 09:29 AM

thanks for responding, oddly enough, I have had GREAT success with imaging the E5400 and E6400 with NO issues booting through PXE. These models also have SATA hard drives. I am wondering if there has been a MAJOR variation with the chipset that is preventing PXE from loading.

any thoughts?

• 4.  RE: Ghost Suite 2.5 - Unable to boot PXE on Dell E5410

Posted Apr 14, 2011 10:47 AM

I would be tempted to check through the bios settings on both working and non working machines, and determine if there are any notable differences.

If you are loading a mouse driver in your PCDOS image, try remarking it out (I recall previous threads where mouse drivers were found to cause problems).

There are also limitations on the size of hard disk that "regular" PCDOS can support, based on the limit of 32 bit LBA addressing, which equates to around 132Gb if I recall correctly. This limit also afflicted the original release of XP.

Finally, another user reported that PCDOS appeared to have problems imaging past around 26Gb.

If you have the option to go with WinPE as your PXE boot environment, now might be a good time to see if this gets around the problems you are experiencing.

• 5.  RE: Ghost Suite 2.5 - Unable to boot PXE on Dell E5410
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 18, 2011 08:46 AM

I found the solution after talking to some of my colleagues.. I removed the MOUSE.COM line from the PXE Boot Image.. connected and received the image, thanks again for your input

• 6.  RE: Ghost Suite 2.5 - Unable to boot PXE on Dell E5410

Posted Apr 18, 2011 09:10 AM

Presumably you missed my reference to the mouse driver in my previous posting ;-)