Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghostcast server replying to remote client with 255.255.255.255

Posted Aug 15, 2010 09:54 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello All,

We have the network set up for ghostcast clients on remote VLANs. We have IP helper IP addresses configured to forward the client requests to the ghostcast server. We can see from a packet dump on the ghostcast server port that the client requests are arriving a the server port correctly. We see a reply from the server, but the destination IPaddress is 255.255.255.255. I would have expected the destination IP Address of the reply to be the source IP Address of the request.  I have a feeling we have forgotten to set / configure / check something on the ghostcast server configuration. The IP Address and subnet mask of the ghostcast server are correct. Any ideas about what we may have forgotten to do on the ghostcast server.

Screenshot of wireshark trace attached

Many thanks for any advice,
    Michael

• 2.  RE: Ghostcast server replying to remote client with 255.255.255.255

Posted Aug 16, 2010 04:47 PM
    Hi,

A bit confused by your network dump as it describes a dhcp transaction. The dhcp server send a dhcp offer request to the all the nodes (255.255.255.255) which is logic as the machine requesting the ip has no ip yet and initialized a dhcp request with source ip 0.0.0.0.

Where does it fails with ghost? Can you see the client connected into the ghostcast windows? Is the client waiting to connect?

If you could take a trace of the actual ghost communication an filter the dump file with the parameters udp/6666 and udp/7777 so we can focus on the ghost transaction i would be pleased to help.

Cheers

• 3.  RE: Ghostcast server replying to remote client with 255.255.255.255

Posted Aug 18, 2010 08:35 AM
    Hello,

I do not think we are arriving at the point of having actaul ghost communication. As I understand the situation the ghost server receives a copy of the DHCP Discover message from PXE client and it should reply withe TFTP server IP Address in DHCP option 66 and the Bootfile name in DHCP option 67 in the DHCP Offer message that it sends back to the PXE client.

The set-up is to have a seperate DHCP server and Ghost server.  We use the "helper address" on the router to forward the DCHP Offer message to the DHCP servers and the Ghost server.  I would expect that the Ghost server to reply with its DHCP Offer packet to the IP address of the DHCP relay (helper address) as unicast.  It replies to the broadcast  address instead. 

I am unfortuantely not responsible for hte Ghost server, but have found mysefl in the situation of having to suggest to the person responsible what he can check in teh Ghost server configuration. Anyhelp you can give would be most welcome. 

I have checked and we have no UDP/6666 or UDP/7777 traffic in the trace.

Thanks,