Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 2.0 and Small Business Server 2003 cloning

Posted Jul 12, 2007 06:51 PM
    I want to clone the OS drive of an SBS and restore it to a new and bigger drive on the same SBS.  The bigger drive will then become the boot drive (OS drive) after making it the primary.

GSS 2.0 console server is installed on an XP station.  I was able to remote install the GSS client to the SBS and I was successful in creating the image task.  However, the image task fails every time with a message regarding the "virtual partition."  I was successful in imaging an IBM laptop.

Normally, the source machine reboots and you should see the Ghost progress screen but the SBS just reboots to the normal logon prompt after executing the create image task.  What am I doing wrong?

I know that GSS officially does not support any Windows Server 2003 but other users were able to clone their server OS drive.

Need help, NOW!

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.0 and Small Business Server 2003 cloning

Posted Jul 13, 2007 04:18 AM
    Hi,

The main reason why we don't officially support this is due to applications you may have installed in the server. If the application depends on some specific setting on the server, we may not be able to set it when re-configuring from Console. Other than that, it is a Windows File System and image is created in the normal way. Many users use even Console Post Configuration facilities to apply configurations also when it is just the OS.

What error message do you get in the Console task log?

Krish

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.0 and Small Business Server 2003 cloning

Posted Jul 26, 2007 06:16 PM
    Looking in the Event Log I noticed that the task failed during step for the "virtual partition" and it gave no other indications other than "failed".

• 4.  RE: GSS 2.0 and Small Business Server 2003 cloning

Posted Jul 27, 2007 02:33 AM
    Hi,

This almost look like a network driver problem. What happens is, if Ghost DOS client finds that the network driver is not installed, it reboots the machine to avoid it getting stuck in DOS (If the network driver is not working, once boot in to DOS, Console cannot send any commands to the client). From Console point of view, it only knows that it ask the client to boot to VP but it did not contacted the Console from VP - so go to VP fails.

What is the network card you have in the machine, and what is the template you use?

When you run the task, it should boot to DOS and then reboot to Windows. When booting to DOS do you see any error messages? If you press F8 at the 'Starting PCDOS' prompt, it will allow you to go through the commands step by step.

Krish

• 5.  RE: GSS 2.0 and Small Business Server 2003 cloning

Posted Jul 27, 2007 02:37 PM
    The network card is Intel Pro 10/100 VE and I'm not using a template.

Are you suggesting that I boot the server into a DOS state and then running the console task?  Will that work?

• 6.  RE: GSS 2.0 and Small Business Server 2003 cloning

Posted Jul 30, 2007 04:46 AM
    Hi,

No, that's not what I mean; Console will boot the machine to DOS and if you press F8 at that time, it would be easier to read the error message.

However, it looks like you haven't selected a template. Could you double click the machine in Console, go to Client tab, and see what network card is automatically selected? Could you try manually selecting the correct network card from the drop down list from 'Use Manually Selected Template:" ?

Krish