Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 2.5, Dell E-6410 - Unable to image

Posted Jul 01, 2010 04:01 PM
    We just purchased latest version of GSS because of what I read here on these forums, that it was needed in order to work with these computers.

I am attempting to create either a bootable USB stick or CD-ROM so that I can restore an image onto some newly purchased E-6410s.

I followed the instructions here and here.  Basically using WinPE and loading the correct driver into the process.  The E-6410 comes loaded with Windows 7, and we are trying to image them to Windows XP.

I have done nothing but fail in this process throughout the day.

I supposed I didn't load the correct driver?  Through Dell's website the network driver is "INTEL_825XX-GIGABIT-PLATFORM_A04_R272000.exe".

Following these instructions, booting to the USB device gave me a screen claiming that I needed the Windows disc to recover a missing file named "winload.exe".  The driver I chose to install during the process was the Intel driver  825XX for XP.  I'm creating another USB device from which to boot using the Vista/7 driver provided in the WinPE process.

Is there something I'm missing here?  Should I simply create a PC-DOS version and edit out the line about MOUSE.COM - as is suggested in the thread?

I don't understand why this is such a difficult process.

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.5, Dell E-6410 - Unable to image

Posted Jul 02, 2010 05:42 AM
    There are two requirements you need to meet before you can image a modern PC.
    The first, which you appear to be addressing, is ensuring that the correct NIC driver is available to WinPE, but just make sure that it supports Vista, as the version of WinPE used by GSS2.5 is based on the Vista release.
    The second, which may also be required, is to ensure that you have the correct driver for the SATA hard disk, in case WinPE does not natively support the SATA controller in the DELL.
    Since the DELL comes with Windows 7, you may find the following utility useful to capture all the PNP device ID's:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/utility-assist-identifying-plug-and-play-drivers

Once you known the PNP device id for the NIC, you can quickly check if a specific driver supports this hardware by searching in the INF file for the device id.

Also, if you want to get a bit more "into" the operation of WinPE, have a look at this article:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/readyadventures-winpe

Just bear in mind that modern machines with SATA devices are not going to work with PC-DOS as DOS does not understand SATA and will not be able to provide access to the hard disks, or the optical drives, as these are all SATA in new machines.

Finally, when you say you purchased the latest version of GSS - are you sure you actually have the latest version? What is the build number of the version you are working with?  Have a look at this thread to see what others are having to do: 
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/gss25-not-updating-live-update

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.5, Dell E-6410 - Unable to image

Posted Jul 07, 2010 02:59 PM
    I am having the same problem as Paul J trying to use a boot disk to boot to the new Del E6410. It just hangs.  Per Symantecs recomendations, I bought the latest GSS software - added updates and downloaded patches.  I don't care about booting from the network.  I just want a boot disk to work so I can see the images on an external drive.  Again - there is no problem using this boot disk on a Dell E6400 which also has a sata drive.  If I create a ghost usb stick  boot device with the mouse line removed, it seems to boot ok but it will not recognize my external usb hard drive containing my ghost images.  Why  it works some what with the usb stick and not a cd disk that has the same parameters - I have no clue??   I've wasted numerous cd's trying to get something to work. This should not be so difficult.  If someone has a working boot image, can you please send me the ISO file?  don_koerten@waters.com    I also have a ticket open with Symantec regarding this case #412-275-960

• 4.  RE: GSS 2.5, Dell E-6410 - Unable to image

Posted Aug 02, 2010 09:31 AM
    The way I have been doing my e6410's with xp is I have used the bootdisk program to insert the correct intel driver(might want to get it directly from intel for your network chipset). Make sure it is a vista driver or it might not work in winpe. I would create an ISO image for a cd and it would load just fine. Also, you might want to use the winPE image that says 512. It holds more drivers for various systems. 
    Also, in order for the e6410's to work right with xp imaging you will need to change the hard drive mode to ata. Otherwise it will not work properly when you finish imaging to it.