Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS2.0.1 Configuration step not renaming Windows XP clients

Posted Jun 20, 2007 07:46 PM
    We're testing Ghost 11.0.1 in our test lab prior to upgrading production, and we're finding that when we restore an image with a configuration step, it's not renaming the XP clients.  This used to work in Ghost 8.3, and now no longer works. 

The image comes down successfully, and after one of the post-ghost reboots (initiated by our custom .cmd scripts), prior to joining the domain we check for a standard hostname, but we're finding that the machine name is still the randomly generated ones from mini-setup.  This is causing our script to halt and eventually the Ghost task fails with a time-out.

To verify that it was the upgrade that killed this, I reinstalled 8.3 into the test lab and used the production images and database and got it working again.  Re-upgrading to 11.0.1 caused it to fail again.

Is anyone else seeing this?  We'd like to use some of the new functionality to edit NTFS images, but can't upgrade until it's working in the test lab.

• 2.  RE: GSS2.0.1 Configuration step not renaming Windows XP clients

Posted Jun 21, 2007 01:19 AM
    To be better understanding your scenario, I'd like to know how do you setup the custom .cmd scripts and when they get run?

Thanks,
    Jenny

• 3.  RE: GSS2.0.1 Configuration step not renaming Windows XP clients

Posted Jun 21, 2007 02:00 AM

We're running a script after the first reboot to rename the PC to something random, then Ghost 8.3 used to do the rename via configuration, but now, it appears that the configuration step is happening, but much earlier.

The behaviour has definitely changed.  Does the configuration step happen earlier than it used to in 8.3? 

• 4.  RE: GSS2.0.1 Configuration step not renaming Windows XP clients

Posted Jun 21, 2007 06:29 AM
    Have you been deleting the computer accounts from Active Directory first?

• 5.  RE: GSS2.0.1 Configuration step not renaming Windows XP clients

Posted Jun 21, 2007 11:41 PM
    One of the biggest changes between Ghost 8.3 and GSS 2.0 & 2.0.1 is the post configuration, specifically when restoring a sysprep'd image.  In v8.3, the sysprep mini-setup and post configuration run in separate steps.  We found a few limitations in apply configuration changes after restored sysprep'd image in that version.  This feature has been improved a lot in 2.0.1, and the configuration defined computer name will be applied during sysprep mini-setup.

I'm trying to figure out why you prefer a random machine name after the mini-setup, but your post didn't have any clue.  You could use sysprep's cmdlines.txt to sort out few things.  If you can post more details in your scenario, so we might be able to give you some suggestions.  Please feel free to post your comments in the forum or my email account at fujhome@gmail.com

Cheers,
    Jenny

• 6.  RE: GSS2.0.1 Configuration step not renaming Windows XP clients

Posted Jun 29, 2007 08:30 AM
    I'm having the exact same problem with Ghost 11.0.1 (and I didn't in v8.3) on my XP SP2 machines. My image tasks finishes without any failures but the configuration I've given to the machine account in the console isn't applied and instead the configurations given by sysprep (workgroup and computer name) is applied to the computer.

What shall I do to get the console to apply the configuration I've chosen instead of letting sysprep do it?

Message Edited by Klas on 06-29-200705:32 AM

• 7.  RE: GSS2.0.1 Configuration step not renaming Windows XP clients

Posted Jun 29, 2007 09:04 AM
    Folks, ghost now properly names the machine in DOS immediately after imaging when you choose the configuration step in your task.  There is no longer a reboot in to windows, and then a second reboot when the windows ghost client names the machine.  When it comes up the first time in windows it has the proper name!

Message Edited by David.Poprik on 06-29-200706:04 AM