Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  GUP for SEPM 11.4202 not caching contents for some branch offices.

Posted Sep 15, 2009 06:16 AM
    Hello Symantec,

i need help with an ongoing deployment of SEP 11.x.
    The client has 9 branch offices. two of the branch offices (BOs) are in the same state with the HQ. other 6 BOs are in different states. The scenario implemented is a SEPM at HQ and GUP for the each group created for the 9 BOs. Only the two BOs in the same state as the HQ update very fast and also cache the update def contents. The other 6 BOs don't cache the contents only the GUP computers download the updates.
    The other 6 BOs are connected via VSAT to the HQ. The other 2 BOs in same stae as HQ use a Radio Link to the HQ.
    All BOs get internet connectivity from the HQ. The idea is to have all the client computers at the BOs get updates from the GUPs assigned to their group. The GUPs are at the same location.

I also observed that the GUP cache contents don't remain at the end of the day, even after the content revision was set to be retained at 42.
    I have gone through most of the troubleshooting steps online both from symantec connect and the troubleshooting support site. Tried all i have seen and yet i can't figure out where the problem is.
    The client does not know what to think.  Please i need a solution ASAP cos we are behind schedule and client IT personnel are already at the BOs trying to join the systems to the domain using SEP client packages created.

please note: the same Live update policies using different GUPs were created for and assigned  to all the BOs.

• 2.  RE: GUP for SEPM 11.4202 not caching contents for some branch offices.
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 15, 2009 06:38 AM
    Here is how the clients should reveive updates from GUP:

1. Client send request to SEPM for new content
    2. SEPM creates delta defs for the client
    3. SEPM sends the delta defs to the GUP where they will be stored at the C:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\sharedDefs folder
    4. SEPM sends the client, info abt the delta defs and that the client is supposed to get them from GUP
    5. Client then contacts the GUP and gets the definitions

Now, you need to verify, untill which step, everything is working fine, so we can troubleshoot the rest of it!!

best,
    Aniket