Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Have the virus definitions been updated today 3/17/10?

Posted Mar 17, 2010 04:54 PM
    Did the folks at Symantec take the day off in honor of St. Patricks day?  It's 5pm EST and I still see we are at yesterdays virus definitions.  What's up?

• 2.  RE: Have the virus definitions been updated today 3/17/10?

Posted Mar 17, 2010 05:10 PM

Security Response has not yet released these for today. Rapid Release definitions for today are available.

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/rapidrelease/index.jsp

Thomas

• 3.  RE: Have the virus definitions been updated today 3/17/10?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 17, 2010 09:28 PM
    Hello All,

The Issue seems to be Temporarily. The AV/AS Definitions are not updating and Proactive Threat Protection have to be on the Latest Dates.

If we check the symantec website whcih confirms:

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=savce

I
    n such cases, Please Download the Rapid Release from :

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=rr

Please Download: vd30e223.jdb

and follow the steps given below:

1) After downloading, rename the file extension from ".zip" to ".jdb". (Most browsers detect the file type and automatically change the extension. This must be changed back to .JDB for use in the SEPM.)

2) Copy the .JDB file to the "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\content\incoming" (The location listed in this line is the default installation location and is presented as an example only).

3) In a period of time from 30 seconds to a minute, the .JDB file will be processed. As the .JDB file is processed, all files and subfolders are removed from the "Incoming" folder.

Verify that the SEPM content is updated:

1) To verify that the SEPM content has been updated, look in the following folder:
    "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manger\Inetpub\content\{C60DC234-65F9-4674-94AE-62158EFCA433}"

2) Typically, there will be 3 numbered folders present. The folder naming convention is "ymmddxxx". For example "90721055". This is the date and build number of the definition set installed. Please note that the definition set installed may have been published the previous day and a set for the current day may not yet be available.

3) Looking inside the folder that matches the set downloaded and installed, There should be a folder named "Full" and a zip file named "Full.zip".

4) Looking inside the "Full" folder, there should be the files typically associated with a virus definition set.

Important Notes:
    1. For the 32 bit Intelligent Updater files for clients, the file names end with "i32.exe" and the 64 bit client file names end with "i64.exe".
    2. The Intelligent Updater file names for SAV clients end with "i32.exe" or "i64.exe".
    3. The Intelligent Updater file names for SEP clients end with "v5i32.exe" or "v5i64.exe".
    4. The Intelligent Updater file name that ends in "x86.exe" is only for certain products and should only be used with those products.
    5. The SEPM updater files have a ".JDB" extension and do not otherwise have an easily identifiable 32 bit or 64 naming convention. Please ensure that you download and use the correct file.
    6. The SAV Parent updater files have a ".XDB" extension and do not otherwise have an easily identifiable 32 bit or 64 naming convention. Please ensure that you download and use the correct file.

Additional Clarification:
    The Intelligent Updater files are designed to update client installs for SEP or SAV only. These files do not contain the required files needed by a SEPM or SAV Parent to additionally update any clients attached.

Reference:

How to update definitions for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager using a JDB file

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/6a1ab5f037c03e488825736f0010829b?OpenDocument

• 4.  RE: Have the virus definitions been updated today 3/17/10?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:36 AM
    Hello,

Update: The AntiVirus / AntiSpyware Definitions are now updating as usual.

and so are the updates done on the Symantec website:

Thank you every one for Co-operating.

We appreciate your business, patience and time.

• 5.  RE: Have the virus definitions been updated today 3/17/10?

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:46 AM

Till now in console showing Latest Manager Version: 17.03.2010

Latest Symantec Verion: 16.03.2010

• 6.  RE: Have the virus definitions been updated today 3/17/10?

Posted Mar 18, 2010 01:07 AM
    Why was there no release at the time?
    We also had issues like this in the beginning of the year where in we were a few days outdated on the virus definitions.
    Was here somethings that were done by Symantec so that thhis would no happen?
    Thanks.

• 7.  RE: Have the virus definitions been updated today 3/17/10?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 18, 2010 02:19 AM
    Hello,

The updates were just delayed for Few Hours.

and as Stated above...The Issue seemed to be Temporary Issue.