Messaging Gateway

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Help - New user install SMG 8340

• 1.  Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 24, 2010 09:19 AM
    Can the Gateway 8340 appliance be used propery with the following hardware/software combination?

Westell DSL modem, Symantec Gateway 360R and a SBS 2003 R2 server curretnly using Archimatrix POP3 downloader to retrieve mail.

Previuosly this setup was using Brightmail Message Filter with success but wanted to step up protection. Was told this was the route to take.

Very much appreciate any  help I can get on this.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 24, 2010 09:41 AM

I don't see why not.    Much like your 360R, the gateway acts as another layer in the picture, protecting your messaging environment from inbound and outbound email threats. With the gateway you will also be able to defend better at the connection level, rejecting connections of and spam before it even touches your SBS environment. 

Depending upon how your 360R is configured, you can place the Brightmail gateway either in front or behind it.

• 3.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 24, 2010 01:04 PM
    I guess I am not understanding how the SBG is to be physically connected. Diagram available showing connections?

DSL router to 360R in, 360R out to SBG etho1? Out from where on the SBG to server?

• 4.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 26, 2010 11:03 AM

SBG intereface depends on placement.  You can use eth0, or if the eth0 i/f in DMZ, you could have eth1 on the inside of your network and flow inbound traffic across it.  Otherwise you can use the single interface.

• 5.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2010 12:56 PM

I am not familiar with Archimatrix POP3 downloader. Does it have an SMTP connector on it? We only use SMTP, we do not support POP3.

• 6.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 26, 2010 02:32 PM
    "The ARX POP3 Connector is a Windows service that routes your POP3 mail to your Microsoft Exchange Server or local SMTP"

• 7.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2010 02:41 PM

Why are you using POP3?

• 8.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 26, 2010 05:01 PM

I don't know? It was done before my time.

• 9.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 26, 2010 05:36 PM

Using the ARX POP3 Connector/downloader may adversly affect the efftiveness of the brightmail system behind it. Symantec BrightMail Gateway and its family of products really are intended to be the 1st in line for scanning for Antispam and AV having intermedate software/devices can change the traffic and header information which we use to help determine if something is spam. It also prevents us from being able to reject connections from outside sources known as spammers or using other features as all the traffic would be coming from the ARC POP3 Host.

• 10.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Posted Apr 27, 2010 06:18 AM
    OK, that all makes sense. Thanks. Now what should I be doing to make this install work most effectively? What is the ideal scenario for retireving mail without using the ARX POP3 on my SBS 2003 server?

• 11.  RE: Help - New user install SMG 8340

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2010 11:07 AM
    The ideal scenario is setting up an MX record for your domain that points at the IP address of the Brightmail Appliance so email comes straight to you instead of this other server you are using POP3 to download from.