Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 23, 2010 10:03 AM
    Hello, I've made a HDD image using Ghost 11.5. It was about 188 Gb in one file.(super large file) Unfortunately some errors came to this drive and after I've done CHKDSK (there were about 1-2 error something about "indexing") GHOST says "this is not ghost image or correct span volume...". Original disk not avaliable anymore. What can I do????

• 2.  RE: How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 23, 2010 02:00 PM
    Hi,

If you could tell us the exact error message it would be great and we could have a better solution to the issue that is present. Do you have an error message that has a 1660 number as the error ?

• 3.  RE: How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 24, 2010 02:05 AM
    Ghost32 says Error 1909.
    Ghost Explorer says "not valid ghost image" with no errors either -corrupt and -ignoreindex switches.

• 4.  RE: How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 24, 2010 03:30 AM
    Hi,

Did you get Error 1909 while restoring image? Would you please provide us with details steps followed by you?
    Have you tried "-ntc" switch while restoring image?

Thanks
    Pankaj

• 5.  RE: How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 24, 2010 06:27 AM
    No, I've got Error 1909 while trying open image for check consistents.
    Start restoring is not possible.
    -ntc switch gives no effect.

• 6.  RE: How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 24, 2010 07:23 PM

Hi,

Error 1909 is actually a windows system error. The error exactly means  " The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to."

Please check the following web document for reference:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/windows-system-error-codes-exit-codes-description

I believe the image would be corrupted as the source disk had some errors.  Try to perform integrity check on the image. See whether it passes the integrity check. If it fails, it means the image is a bad one and you cannot use it anymore.

Regards,
    Dilip Sebastian

• 7.  RE: How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 25, 2010 03:21 AM
    1909 Error -  "Image  file selection error" - common Ghost error in case of problem with image file.
    You are giving completely wrong advice about completely different thing. Please do not this in future at least you are "Symantec Emploee".

• 8.  RE: How to repair corrupted Ghost 11.5 image?

Posted Aug 27, 2010 09:37 PM
    I've changed file header as Neil advised here before, this was reason for error 1909.
    Yes, now file is determined as image file but I still unable to get any info from it.
    Ghostexp just crashed when I try to open file.

Also, I found that GHOST image file is extremely unreliable. I made small image (from flash) and investigate the structure. It consists of small header then some leading zeros then data. Delete or change to zero just a few bytes at begin of data becomes files completely unreadable. Change to zeros at the middle of data cause save file structure but Ghostexp crashed while extract any file.
    I tryed many times and I NEVER get situation when I unable to read file in normal way but able to read with keys -CORRUPT or -IGNOREINDEX.
    So this keys completely useless.
    "Checking integrity" also gave no help even if I changed only ONE byte.

It means that if you get ANY error with your image file just say BAY-BAY your data and do not waste your time.