Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only
  • 1.  HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

Posted Jan 07, 2016 08:51 PM

We are using DS 6.9 sp6, and all our PXE is perfectly working all other computers... But when connecting same place cable, our latest "Elite 840 G2", no way, the PXE menu is not displaying. The DHCP does receive the IP and provide one, but it seems the PXE server decide not answering to those hardware !

Did you already seen a similar issue ?

• 2.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

Posted Jan 07, 2016 11:00 PM

I believe this has to do with the intel chipset used on that model.  The PXE menu will not display if you have the "Enable MTFTP" option enabled in the PXE Config Utility.  To resolve the response issue, simply disable MTFTP by unchecking that box shown below.

1.png

• 3.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

Posted Jan 08, 2016 04:22 AM

Thanks a lot Joel, Normaly it is "cleared", but I will check this was not "reactivated". A clic is such an easy operation ;-) I will back as soon as I got the result.

• 4.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

• 5.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

Posted Jan 08, 2016 05:44 AM
    I think Multicast Trivial File Transfer Protocol (MTFTP) is only used if the PXE server and client are on the same subnet; even if they are, turning off the option should have little impact.

• 6.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

Posted Jan 08, 2016 07:33 AM

For your information, I don't have 840 G2 here but I had the same problems last year with Dell Latitude notebook, it was a buggy Intel PXE firmware included in the Dell system BIOS.

See the HP EliteBook 840 G2 Bios revisions history, in the download page for the BIOS version 01.12 Rev.A(5 nov. 2015) there is writen "Fixes an issue where the UEFI PXE does not function properly in certain network environments.". Try this BIOS version or a previous if necessary. See :

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7343205&swItemId=ob_157268_1&swEnvOid=4060#tab4

• 7.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

Posted Jan 12, 2016 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot Denis, we were testing the upgrade of the BIOS to get the later version.

We will have to check this, but we believe another option, I was forgot to check:

DS6.9 PXE DS menu_0.png

Of course, those new computers was not yet connected the DS6.9 before with a DSagent, so, they are probably unknown from the DS.
    I don't know why this option default activated, was uncheck... :(

• 8.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 G2 does not get PXE menu message ?

Posted Jan 12, 2016 02:05 PM

Hi Pascal.

Many years ago I had the same problem with another HP notebook model. To fix that I did two BIOS downgrade.

Regards,