Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

• 1.  HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Jan 15, 2014 10:41 AM

I've just received a new model that we hadn't worked with until now.  The HP EliteBook 840 will not PXE boot and bring down the WinPE image.  Once I push a job to the machine or try and F8 the computer into WinPE, it catches and connects, but instead of bringing down WinPE, it just reboots the machine. 

I've also tried doing this with Linux just for testing sake since we aren't using it in our live environment anymore and the same thing happens.

Is there a setting in the BIOS that I'm missing?  I've tried hunting down any articles online, but haven't found anything helpful.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Jan 16, 2014 02:22 AM
    Try disabling fast boot in the bios so that it perfoms its full post, as this slows the system down allowing more time for the nic. As you have said that manually PXE booting allows the PE to load and connect but not receive a job, then you will need to either setup initial deployment or add the machine to the predefined computers list.

• 3.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Jan 16, 2014 04:04 AM

Which DS and WinPE Version are you using?
    UEFI Bios disabled?

• 4.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE
    Best Answer

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Jan 16, 2014 05:52 AM

Hi FBTX Eddie

Try to disable MTFTP in the PXE Configuration Utiltiy:

DS Console --> PXE Configuration Utility --> Multicast --> Disable MTFTP --> Save changes -->

and check your Intel Boot Agent Version.

Network23

• 5.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Jan 24, 2014 03:43 PM

Network23,

I just wanted to thank you as it seems the original person who posed this question never got back to you on if that worked or not.

I was having the same exact issue with the same exact model type, the HP Elite Book 840.  After disabling the MTFTP setting and letting PXE server update we no longer had anymore problems.

Now the machine was only having issues in Legacy only mode which is desied for us as we don't really want to change all Windows 7 images to UEFI accross all locations.

Thanks again guys, love these support forums!

Also, does anyone know any problems with keeping that setting disabled?

• 6.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Jan 24, 2014 04:22 PM

With MTFTP being disabled, PE will be downloaded via unicast.

I have had customers in the past disable our TFTP service, and run OpenTFTP instead as they experienced better performance with it.

• 7.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Feb 04, 2014 01:16 PM

We were having the same issue with our HP 840 Laptops. Turning off MTFTP is working.

I've been trying to solve this issue for over a month.........

Thank You Network23 !

• 8.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Feb 11, 2014 11:38 AM
    Sorry I never got back to this post! I'm running 7.1 and 6.9 currently. 7.1 is in production and 6.9 is just running parallel as we just moved off that platform this past year, so I've been using it as a test bed. I'll try turning off MTFTP in 6.9, but is there an option to do so in 7.1?

• 9.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Feb 11, 2014 11:51 AM
    Turning off MTFTP didn't fix it in 6.9. I've confirmed that boot mode is set to legacy and it's still a no go.

• 10.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Feb 11, 2014 03:16 PM
    I take that back. Turning off MTFTP did work in 6.9. How does one turn it off in 7.1?

• 11.  RE: HP EliteBook 840 won't PXE boot. Reboots when it tries to bring down WinPE

Posted Mar 12, 2014 11:49 AM

I am having the same issue when in pxe boot enviroment, i am trying to build a HP Elitebook 850G1 and it is failing at DHCP initialization, using 6.9 and MTFTP is disabled,

any assistance would be much appreciated,

DD1912