Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

• 1.  impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 19, 2010 11:12 PM

Does someone have the uninstall password that Symantec requires at add/remove programs?

I read in forums that to uninstall SAV, add/remove programs is not enough, one needs an uninstall tool from Symantec. I failed to locate it on the site, and since SAV 10.0.1.1000 and it's last successor are no longer supported products, I am at a loss. I no longer work in the company where I got this from, so I have no access to paid support. Just need guidance to clean uninstall. I run on Windows XP Home.

• 2.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 19, 2010 11:18 PM

Add/Remove programs works fine. However, you will need to manually delete C:/Program Files/Symantec Antivirus and C:/Program Files/Common Files/Symantec Shared. You should also search the registry and delete the 2 Symantec folders under HKCU and HKLM

The tool you are referring to is CleanWipe this can only be obtained by calling Support and opening a case.

• 3.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 19, 2010 11:49 PM

Add/remove programs uninstall should work 95% of the times. In case  it does not, then only we have to use removal tool, like cleanwipe. That could onlty be available through support.

However, in case, you are not able to remove using add/remove programs, you could manually remove it, using the following document:

http://clientui-kb.symantec.com/kb/index?page=content&id=TECH101263&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1292820317225

• 4.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 20, 2010 05:02 AM

Hi Sym,

> SAV 10.0.1.1000 and it's last successor are no longer supported products

The "End of Life" clock has started ticking for SAV 10, but SAV 10.1 is currently still supported.  The most recent release of it is 10.1 MR9 (10.1.9.9000).

Please note that End of Availability for SAV 10 will begin January 4, 2011. At this time no additional product licenses will be available for purchase.  Symantec will provide Standard Support for SAV 10 issues at all severity levels until July 4, 2012.

I do strongly recommend that anyone running an older version of the product than MR8 or MR9 update to this latest release.  Better yet, migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 which has a built-in firewaal and other security components.  SEP 11 can be installed directly over SAV 10.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 5.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 23, 2010 11:15 PM

No offense, but after the still unresolved issue of uninstalling SAV 10, I have no desire to install any Symantec products ever.

• 6.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 23, 2010 11:19 PM

Symantec is unremovable - I am red-eyed from removing the said registry keys one by one (some of them I never found, like SNDSrvc, SYMREDRV and SYMTDI at point 16, and ccProxy at point 17 - I did find SPBBCSvc again, but didn't delete it, because the location wasn't as specified), but after restart the antivirus is very much there in the system tray and appears unharmed.

Please advise another approach!

I cannot use add/remove programs, because Symantec asks for "uninstall password". Could you PLEASE provide that?

Really, I should not pay for cleanwipe from product support when your software fails to uninstall!

• 7.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 23, 2010 11:23 PM

Did you call support and get Cleanwipe as suggested?

• 8.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 23, 2010 11:30 PM

I should also add that I tried to open a case at mysupport.symantec.com, but cannot get past account verification step (e-mail was verified):

"Account validation requires that you have either a Technical Contact ID, a Support Number or a Technical Case ID registered with your account. Please enter the required information and submit your request."

I have none of these IDs, where can I get them from?

This is really getting absurd when one needs tech support for using tech support!

• 9.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 23, 2010 11:33 PM

What type of support do you have?

You should be able to find this on your certs when your product was purchased.

I got our ID from our Symantec account manager

• 10.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 23, 2010 11:43 PM

I have no support since I no longer reside in the country where my past employer had the SAV installed on my PC. It is a corporate software. I have no idea when it was purchased and contacting my previous employer would be really going a long way - why won't Symantec just give me a simple procedure/access for uninstall?

• 11.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!

Posted Dec 23, 2010 11:56 PM
    Remove the uninstall  password from the registry and then try to un-install SAV from Add/Remove Programs

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\AdministratorOnly\Security\UseVPUninstallPassword

Change the value to 0

Uninstall SAV

You can also try the Windows Installer cleanup utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

It may work for SAV even though this particular article references Office but it's worth a shot

• 12.  RE: impossible to uninstall Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 (corporate edition)!!!
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 24, 2010 12:31 AM

Brian81, didn't get to try your solution (which sounds like a good approach) - because in the meantime, I called support and they e-mailed me Cleanwipe tool for free. I ran it - and it was smooth, finally got SAV uninstalled.

Thanks everyone for attention, and Happy Holidays!