Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Initial Deployment on a Dell Latitude E6420

Posted Jul 10, 2012 10:35 AM

I am trying to deploy a Windows XP image to a Dell Latitude E6420. I have added the network driver to WinPE.  The system boot to WinPE and loads the Initial Deployment menu.  When I select the deploy image task, I see a message flash about starting to deply the image.  In the console it shows the task running, then within 10-20 seconds it fails.  It also fails if I try to run the deploy image task by manually scheduling the task.  I have tried recreating the task.  I can deploy images to all my other Dell Desktops and Laptops without any problems.

SMP 7.1 SP2

• 2.  RE: Initial Deployment on a Dell Latitude E6420

Posted Jul 10, 2012 05:42 PM

Check X:\ghosterr.txt in WinPE for details on why the image deployment failed.

• 3.  RE: Initial Deployment on a Dell Latitude E6420

Posted Jul 10, 2012 09:41 PM

You can also check the clientimagedeploy.log and the pectagent.log file inside x:programfiles\altiris\altiris agent\logs in the winpe Command prompt

It will give some information on why the deploy image task is failing ,then hunt the kbs accordingly.

• 4.  RE: Initial Deployment on a Dell Latitude E6420

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2012 01:46 AM

If the task is failing you should also see the failure / exception in the UI task page

• 5.  RE: Initial Deployment on a Dell Latitude E6420
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 11, 2012 03:27 PM

Thanks for pointing out the location of log files.  Based on infomation in the log files, I was able to tract down the problem and come up a solution.  The overall problem with the Laptop was and still is getting the wrong DNS server.  Even though all other machines and getting the correct DNS server.